Basics for Panning Chocolates

Mindy Fong
@mindy-fong
06/21/09 02:22:57AM
19 posts
I was told that there is a great article in Manufacturing Confectioner about the Basics of Panning Chocolates. Unfortunately, when I googled the article, only the first page shows up. Does anyone have a copy of the September 1996 issue? Does anyone have any basic tips for panning macadamias?
updated by @mindy-fong: 04/13/15 11:52:19AM
Kerry
@kerry
06/21/09 02:33:01PM
288 posts
Haven't got a copy of that -but have taken the panning course from the NCA. Link to a demo I did on eGullet here http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=87996&view=findpost&p=1198779

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/21/09 07:39:35PM
1,680 posts
Here is the direct link to the demo (it's post #25).I've never seen dry ice actually dumped into the pan before.To make this more friendly, make a cooling chamber by using an ice chest. Attach a small fan on one side of the chest and a flexible hose (e.g., vacuum cleaner) on the other. The fan blows air over the dry ice cooling it and creating positive pressure in the chest forcing it out the hose. You can direct the cool air into the pan using any number of simple rigs. You could use regular ice but that would pick up moisture which you don't want - so don't.Spend a few more bucks and get a variable speed fan and by introducing slots into the hose that can be covered up you can also alter air flow and have a way to alter the temperature of the air flow.There are other ways to do this, like have the fan pull and blow over the contents of the pan instead of the other way around. You embed a hose into a container that you fill with water and put in the freezer. This is cheaper than using dry ice and uses a lot less energy all the way around. The hose (embedded in a coil) in the ice acts as a heat exchanger and the fact that the air is not exposed to the ice means that the air doesn't pick up any moisture.:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Kerry
@kerry
06/21/09 11:09:49PM
288 posts
Clay,I think the pictures have been lost from the demo that shows the item my hubby built for me from PVC tubing that allows me to blow the cold air over the dry ice for the polishing stage.I really like your ides of the hose embedded in the ice coil. You could also jury rig one of those portable air conditioners to blow cold air.While this demo shows the use of polish to shine the product - I really like the technique where you heat up the coated product until it becomes mallable, then cool until it shines.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Mindy Fong
@mindy-fong
06/30/09 01:56:29PM
19 posts
Thanks for the info! I didn't think that San Francisco weather would force me to use dry ice, something I have never heard of using for panning. But this seems like the answer to my problem.
SofiaRaj Chocolates
@sofiaraj-chocolates
07/09/09 03:17:30AM
3 posts
Hi,,,,,Mindy FongGood Morning,,,SofiaRaj are solution for you.The company was founded in 2007 and quickly established itself as a designer gourmet chocolates and corporate gifts.You can visit.. Chocolates
Mindy Fong
@mindy-fong
07/10/09 02:04:35AM
19 posts
Don't know exactly how you're a solution for me, but thanks anyways.
Ashish Kumar Mishra
@ashish-kumar-mishra
07/10/09 05:27:40AM
1 posts
hi mindy,,,,if u take it in wrong way then i want to say sorry!!!but actually i want to your response about my website..... Chocolates ...and i also want to know about Panning Chocolates. Thanks and waiting your response.....Ashish

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores