Question regarding the use of a commercial kitchen

Andre Costa
@andre-costa
08/26/09 05:15:15PM
103 posts
I am looking for commercial kitchens in New York City and I found some options.While doing my research I started to think about this issue. If I use someone's commercial kitchen to produce my chocolate, are they supposed to give me some document stating that I am actually using their kitchen? So, if I want to start selling my products to retail stores (for instance), I will not be in trouble?Can someone please give me some feedback on this?Thanks,Andre CostaDaCosta Chocolates(I will change my signature from 'chocolatier-to-be' to 'chocolatier-in-the-making')
updated by @andre-costa: 04/24/15 07:47:11AM
Andrea3
@andrea3
08/26/09 10:11:19PM
22 posts
I don't know what the rules are for NY, but most states you will have to have a health inspector approve the establishment for your production. That means the owners of the kitchen will pretty much be inspected all over again, which may deter a few of them from allowing you to produce there, it's not fun. They would basically be sub-leasing the area to you so you would have that contract as verification for your place of production, assuming you are using a contract. But, as I said, I don't know the rules for NY, I could be totally off base. Just a few things you might want to think about though. Good Luck!Andrea
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
08/27/09 09:45:24AM
103 posts
Thank you. I will look further into this matter.Andre Costa
Julie Helzer
@julie-helzer
08/27/09 06:32:14PM
8 posts
In Utah, it is a lengthy process to get not only certified by the Utah Dept. of Agriculture and have inspections, but also to get the necessary permits from the city. It can be done though and it is an ongoing process to submit your recipies so they will check them for food safety and shelf-life issues.
Daniel K Galvin
@daniel-k-galvin
08/31/09 03:01:53PM
5 posts
Also, depending upon your formulations, your insurance carrier my chager a different premium. My truffle centers use fresh dairy. Many commercial formulations use powdered dailry. I pay more to use fresh dairy than if i were using powdered dairy. Just something else to consider. Libiltiy insurance does vary based upon your ingredients.
Diana
@diana
09/01/09 03:40:17AM
12 posts
Are you going to be sub-letting a small part of the kitchen as your own, or will you be using areas common to the other producer? Make sure you have a written agreement for who is responsible for maintenance, repairs and even cleaning. Shared space can be good but it is full of potential for disagreements! I would recommend a full contract as mentioned in a previous post.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores