Is there such a thing as a "true chocolatier"?

Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/16/09 07:52:15PM
7 posts
There is a new chocolate shop in Buffalo that advertises that they are the only "true chocolatier" in town. A few blocks away, there is a fabulous chocolatier (I would consider him a master chocolatier) who has been in business for over 20 years. This bothers me. Is there any such thing as a "true chocolatier"?
updated by @liz-donner: 05/05/15 08:05:38AM
Duffy Sheardown
@duffy-sheardown
09/17/09 06:19:44AM
55 posts
Who gets to decide? It can only be the public. Sounds pretty offensive though and disrespectful. Vote with your wallet.
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/17/09 07:35:10AM
7 posts
I thought it was disrespectful, too! Thanks for weighing in. To be honest, I am affiliated with the chocolate shop I am defending, Choco-Logo Confectionery Design. I was just taken aback by the language in all this other shop's marketing materials. If you're ever in Buffalo...you know where to go!
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
09/17/09 12:14:17PM
103 posts
How do they back up their "true chocolatier" approach? What do they do that makes them a true one? Are they a bean-to-bar company?Despite how offensive the language is (and I agree it is), I would like to know why they call themselves true chocolatiers.The customers will decide that in the end. And if you are sensitive to some marketing approaches, you may even steer away from them anyway.
Diana
@diana
09/17/09 01:31:16PM
12 posts
I always find slurs on the competition (however veiled) off-putting and unprofessional. I'm sure I'm not alone, and the public will soon show their thinking.
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/17/09 08:17:47PM
7 posts
Andre,Thanks for weighing in. I would like to know why they call themselves true chocolatiers, myself. I'm not trying to start a turf war, by any means. I just think it's a strange turn of phrase. Apparently it has no real definition in the chocolate world. It just seems to position them in a relatively small market as something better ( which is up to interpretation). But, for the uninitiated sounds very reputable.From what I understand, they are not a bean-to-bar company. But even if they were, I don't get the terminology "True Chocolatier". Hence, my query.
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/17/09 08:18:36PM
7 posts
Well said!
SU
@su
09/18/09 04:21:43PM
18 posts
It sounds like they are trying to differentiate themselves from "traditional" upstate NY chocolate -- we call it "fountain" chocolate in our family -- which seems to be comprised mostly of sugar. It's super sweet goodness which is very popular. Regardless of their intent, it is tacky to say they are "true" and others aren't.Sugary chocolate is still chocolate and it is a tradition and there's nothing wrong with that. I offered my grams a shot of Madagascar 70% from Patric chocolates and she thought it was comically terrible, she's a Parkside's woman and proud of it!As a Buffalo transplant from CA Bay Area, there is a huge regional difference in the sugar content & flavorings of the chocolatiers in each locale. I understand the desire to stand out, but its never necessary to diminish others to do it. Everyone thinks their product is superior otherwise they wouldn't be in business. And this is coming from someone who was not initially pleased with the regional differences!
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/18/09 06:04:25PM
7 posts
Thanks, SU. Maybe I am taking this too personally? I don't know. Maybe they are positioning themselves as different from Fowler's, Niagara Chocolates and the like. Choco-Logo is certainly not in that category. We have a Madagascar 62% that you should come in and try. 141 Broadway, downtown.
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
09/18/09 08:01:01PM
103 posts
I believe my point was that if they have done a local research and found out that no one else was a "bean-to-bar" establishment and they were, then they thought they could call themselves "true chocolatier" - there is a whole other thread on this topic here on The Chocolate Life...Anyway, time will tell.
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/18/09 08:24:16PM
7 posts
They aren't bean to bar anywhere on their website. My thinking is they would trumpet that to be "other". Anyway, this discussion has been really validating and I appreciate all the comments. Visit www.chocologo.com and see what WE do. The website is almost ready to roll out the new design, so stay tuned. My work email is liz@chocologo.com. I welcome professional correspondence.
Dallas Chocolate / Sander Wolf
@dallas-chocolate-sander-wolf
09/22/09 03:48:24PM
5 posts
You should call them up and ask them what they mean. No point in guessing though I agree that it's offensive and demonstrably false.I'm sure your town can support more than one great chocolate shop. No reason you can't at least become "frenemies."
Liz Donner
@liz-donner
09/22/09 04:49:55PM
7 posts
You're absolutely right Dallas Chocolate. We are very cordial. I wish only good things for their shop. They have a very different approach. I just wanted to know if there was such a thing as a "True Chocolatier". It just sounded ever so slightly self-aggrandizing, Y'know what I mean? I did actually call and nicely ask what it meant. No one has called me back with an explanation, and I'm not really expecting anyone to. It's just nice to hear supportive comments for the chocolate community.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • one month ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores