Chocolate packaging & boxes, something special?

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
11/14/09 11:54:33PM
98 posts
I am looking to package my truffles and chocolates to one day sell but the only things I can find that fit are the standard white truffle boxes etc....boring in my opinion. The other option is gold, silver or black, again... my opinion kinda of old fashion. I would really like a rigid, recycled box ideally but can't find those unless i have them made, to expensive. I may be a little crazy but I want something that stands out not just for the chocolate but the packaging to, it would be great if it could be reused by the end customer. Any suggestions?
updated by @dirke-botsford: 04/30/15 11:08:36AM
Christine Doerr
@christine-doerr
11/15/09 02:11:45PM
24 posts
I know what you mean. I hear this comment often. I couldn't find what I was looking for so I had it made. Expensive, yes, but I got exactly what I wanted, priceless!I've seen others use tins and suggest their customers "refill" the tins by ordering more truffles/chocolates. I hope my customers keep my custom-made boxes and reuse them, "They are too nice to just throw away."
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
11/15/09 03:19:07PM
98 posts
That's a good idea to refill. I looked at the tin boxes and they are the best bet so far. Good to know I'm not crazy and others have this problem too. The custom boxes would be perfect but I would be bummed if I went through all that effort for it to become land fill, which is what I want to avoid! I will keep searching! any other suggestions I am all ears.Cheers
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
11/15/09 04:02:30PM
104 posts
Cocolat-chocolat has beautiful boxes. They are fairly expensive but I offer the customers a small credit to come recycle and refill the boxes and many do.
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
11/15/09 08:50:06PM
98 posts
ah now we're talking, that's more up my alley, perfect thanks Melanie! A little pricey but then you are getting something nicer which I also think mentally reflects on the quality of your chocolates. just a visual thing. I'll have to look through it more and find something reasonably priced, I have a problem of having grande thoughts with a very small budget since I'm just starting out. But it's a step in the right direction...the search continues.
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/16/09 11:21:10AM
1,680 posts
I might start looking at some of the following sources: Distant Village Here are some Distant Village boxes sold through Nashville Wraps, part of a larger line of "eco-friendly" packaging.Although I can't talk about the eco-friendly credentials of Nakazawa , they do offer a broad range of excellent stock box options as well as custom fabrication. Here's a source on Etsy I found. Pricey at retail but they do wholesale and custom orders using handmade-to-order paper.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
11/16/09 05:48:52PM
98 posts
Brilliant, I really don't know what I would do without all this help, you guys are the best! Clay, Nashville had exactly what I had been looking for for weeks locally and no one had it, unless I had it made. Now I can focus on labeling and making chocolates. Then try my wares for the first time at a local Christmas craft fair to see how they do! Up and onward! Thanks again everyone! I owe you one!
Susan Donnelly
@susan-donnelly
11/16/09 10:42:09PM
2 posts
Nashville Wraps has some cacao paper window boxes. They are made of cacao leaves and come in 4pc, 5pc, and 9pc. Kind of pricey but they are fantastic! Not sure what they could be reused for but customers seem to enjoy that they are all natural and can be recycled. Good luck!
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/16/09 11:33:25PM
1,680 posts
Ask and ye shall find. This just in . The JL Clark company is offering digital printing on metal tins in runs of 500 or fewer, on 30 different shapes/sizes of tins.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
11/18/09 11:05:36AM
157 posts
You need to start somewhere and your packaging is always evolving. Start with something you can feel comfortable with whether paper, plastics, recycled and spice it up with your own flair whether it's in stickers, ribbons, etc.Then when you have the budget you can move into something like Mod-Pac or Glerup and get your boxes built from the ground up custom. It's just a huge burden at the startup phase due to the run sizes.
Brad Reardon
@brad-reardon
12/17/09 06:23:35PM
2 posts
I understand the craziness in packaging. I kinda went the other route however. I am a flights of fancy kind of person (also read ADD) ;-) so I brought in my other hobbies. I have made some glass boxes with Torches and Kilns. I also did some glass blowing for a bowl for my best friend's wedding. I realize this may be a bit off topic as one of your concerns was price, but I have utilized friends and family as well. For instance, our idea for Christmas was to have everyone decorate a box. I put in the chocolate and we do family friendly games to end up with a box other than your own.I have several artistic friends who do tatoos and the like as well. I buy the blank white boxes in bulk and send them over. When they come back they are anything but boring. The reusable nature of these is a tad limited though. I have also found that small fundraising efforts can bring out artistic and more helpful individuals. Think Elementary school kids selling boxes of chocolate with hand drawn lids.So anyway hello from a fellow newcomer. I hope something in all that helped.
Bud Stockwell
@bud-stockwell
12/27/09 09:32:40PM
18 posts
That's a great Idea. I have a bunch of their boxes with wood sides and the mahogany chests. Thye are expensive and we don't sell tons of them but a refund on the refill could really help. ThanksBud
Bud Stockwell
@bud-stockwell
12/27/09 09:37:46PM
18 posts
Check out aspecialtybox.com for some more nice boxes. I second the poster who mentioned Chocolat-Chocolat and finally, I use sweetpacking.com for my one level up for standard packaging. For my boxes I just give away, I use Mod-Pac. They are fantastic with turnaround time on a wedding boxes when you need custom imprinting.
Jenny Zhan
@jenny-zhan
01/04/10 11:36:01PM
5 posts
custom-made boxes is expensive in US, but if you made it in China, it will be much more cheap. visit www.winwaypackaging.com , it may helps.
Claire North
@claire-north
04/24/10 11:23:23AM
13 posts
Oh I agree with you...I searched high and low and finally had to settle with www.boxandwrap.com...I chose the red with a gold stripe but they have not yet arrrived so i cannot tell you if they are what I want or not....I think the white ones in particular are BEYOND boring but just like you I am starting out and do not have the budget and it is not like the economy is such at the moment that you can make a lot of money straight away....
Claire North
@claire-north
04/24/10 11:25:26AM
13 posts
Just being nosey but what did you do for the christmas fair..I make 3-d sleighs and trees etc
Stacy Hankinson
@stacy-hankinson
04/28/10 09:03:45PM
3 posts
We we just looking into alternative packaging and into investing into our own printer that would allow us to print directly onto box lids, tins, etc. The majority of our clients want custom packaging. (logos or custom designs with runs of 100 up) It would be interesting if we could offer this service to other chocolate providers. I would love to hear any other interest?
Claire North
@claire-north
04/28/10 11:45:36PM
13 posts
What kinds of costs are we looking into here? I am just new and do not have a ton of money
Claire North
@claire-north
04/29/10 02:01:27AM
13 posts
You guys are all so cool...thanks and I will look into it..I already have some boxes but want to go another route at some point......I really am just a new comer but what i lack I make up for in enthusiasm..haha. What amazes me about this industry is that it is ever changing and one can never learn too much....
Cyndi
@cyndi
04/29/10 11:01:58AM
4 posts
You should consider attending the Fancy food show in NY in June There are tons of companies that showcase their wares at the show. Also the philly Candy and gift show in September. there you will see samples and get many ideas for packaging. Good luck!
Mustapha Baztout
@mustapha-baztout
11/30/10 04:20:57PM
1 posts
i run a chocolate workshop called artisan chocolate workshop and allways looking for quality boxes.

[ED: the author of this comment is in the UK - so is probably looking of UK/EU sources]
updated by @mustapha-baztout: 09/12/15 12:18:48AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores