Does anyone know of a bulk choc. as good as Valrhona in the same general $ range?

Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
11/29/09 12:29:01AM
53 posts
I am trying to find a brand to use in bulk in the same general price range as Valrhona, but of the same quality. Everything I have tried so far is either WAY worse or WAY more expensive. Any help would be great.
updated by @matt-caputo: 04/11/15 04:19:40AM
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/03/09 10:00:10AM
53 posts
Hey Robert, Thanks for you response. I have tried Amedei, Pralus, Domori, Amano and they are all excellent but considerably more expensive. Beyond things in that price range I cannot seem to find anything with decent cacao flavor. I find Callebaut flavorless other than vanilla, Guittard seems a little too flat. Anything you really like not over $10/lb wholesale?
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/04/09 06:23:06AM
116 posts
Would you consider a raw liquor?
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/04/09 08:48:00AM
1,680 posts
Steve:You have a raw liquor that sells for under $10/lb wholesale?:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/04/09 08:50:57AM
1,680 posts
Matt:Have you tried any of the Felchlin products? Most people only know about the Grand Cru line, which is on par with Valrhona in terms of cost, but there is also a less expensive line that many top chocolatiers use for the bulk of production, reserving the Grand Cru for special pieces. Many of them will also do a slight bit of blending, opting to put a more flavorful chocolate into something that needs to be kicked up. So, adding a small amount of a conched liquor to a 55% may get you 65%-75% but you control the intensity.:: Clay

--
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/04/09 10:30:54AM
53 posts
No. I am going to be wholesaling to chefs who need a finished product. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/04/09 10:33:52AM
53 posts
Clay,Thanks for the response. I will definitely try Felchlin again. It has been years and my taste for chocolate has definitely matured. Do you happen to know who the importer is or who I could contact to find out if they would like a new importer in the Intermountain West? I believe it may be Swiss Chalet who I think got bought up by Atalanta.Best,Matt
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/04/09 11:25:46AM
1,680 posts
Matt:Swiss Chalet/SAIL (Swiss American Imports Limited) handles Felchlin in the US and they have distribution centers in Florida (where they are headquartered) in the NE (New Jersey) and in LA - at least. I am fairly confident that Felchlin is not looking for another importer, but there is no reason why you can't become a sub-distributor of Felchlin products through Swiss Chalet/SAIL. Yes, Atalanta did purchase them but is pretty much leaving them alone to do what they do. If you like, I can introduce you to Hans Bauman who can set you up.::: Clay

--
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/05/09 12:08:51AM
53 posts
Clay,Too kind of you. Please do put me in touch with Mr. Bauman. I would love to try his products and we are already a sub-distributor for Atalanta. We ship their stuff out of New Jersey so hopefully they can combine our orders. Please let me know how I can get in touch with him, the Intermountain West is DYING for decent product at a reasonable price. Because of the way Valrhona is distributed here even large users of Valrhona such as Jean Georges restaurant are paying over $11/lb. They are aware of the much lower prices in other markets and are all telling me how fed up they are and willing to try something else.While Valrhona lets us distribute its retail product, they will not allow us to do so with food service. I am friends with their retail National Sales Manager, Heidi Tancredi and I have told her how much business they are losing, that I would love to solve that problem for them, etc., etc. However, they are worried about upsetting European Imports and/or Paris Gourmet, even though they can't get product here for less than $11/lb.Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.Best,Matt
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/05/09 12:11:07AM
116 posts
Possibly. Depends on volume commitment.
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/05/09 12:12:54AM
116 posts
We can do a raw couverture too at a slightly higher price. All depends on volume.
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/05/09 12:20:04AM
53 posts
Steve,Trying to sell these pastry chefs on raw product would be like trying to push move a mountain with my bare hands. So much of how they and their customers perceive the flavors of cacao has to do with the heavy roast. This is not a challenge I am up for right now.However, I checked out your website and was intrigued by many of your products, are you looking for retailers? We are more gourmet than natural, but I am always looking for new ways for my customers to experience the flavors of cacao.Thanks again,Matt
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/05/09 01:15:55AM
116 posts
Hi Matt,We are looking for more retailers. We are launching a brand new website in about 30 days which should support our retailers better. Our sales manager is Mike Zwiebach. He can be reached at 415-456-3311 x 118 during normal business hours in California. He would be happy to discuss with you the possibilities of supporting your customers with something unique, exciting, and unusual. He is happy to send out some free samples.Steve
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/05/09 11:30:21AM
53 posts
We are banging on all cylinders here. I will find the time after the New Year. Happy fourth quarter!
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
12/05/09 09:39:57PM
63 posts
Just wanted to second the recomendation for Felchlin. I really like the Bolivian 68% (Cru sauvage) for a well-rounded "chocolatey" flavor. Also like the Hacienda el vesia (Dominican 74).
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/06/09 12:59:52AM
53 posts
Thanks Sarah. What have you used it for? Are you in the industry?
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
12/08/09 11:13:48AM
63 posts
Hi. Yes. I have a little confectionery and shop in Portland, Oregon. We use the Bolivian primarily for our Chloe ganache and for our chocolate drinks. It is well rounded but still interesting and very "chocolatey" all over your mouth which makes for a nice hot chocolate. The dominican we use for a S.O.truffle. Both are easy to work with and fairly "consistant". I love Valrhona, too. I gotta say. Pleasure to work with and I like their Grand Crus.
Muhittin Can
@muhittin-can
12/10/09 08:25:39AM
2 posts
Dear Matt,As OYAL Import & Export, I work as the export department of one of Turkey's top quality chocolate manufacturers, Efes Chocolate.Please visit their website www.efescikolata.com.tr to have a look at their products (you may need to translate it through google to understand).They offer a selection of compound and real chocolates consisting of tablets, madeleines, dragees, coated dragees, bars, couvertures, ganaches, chocolate chips, pralines, cocoa powders, ice-cream dipping sauce, fillings and more...I can also send you samples for you to compare the taste with Valrhona.- Muhittin Can
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/15/09 01:41:48AM
53 posts
Mr. Can,I would love some samples. However, please be aware that I am known for brutal honesty. Once I get the samples and a price list you will hear from me if I like them. Otherwise, only ask me for my opinion if you really want it. You can contact me at caputo (dot) matt (at) g mailThanks,Matt
Bud Stockwell
@bud-stockwell
12/27/09 09:41:32PM
18 posts
Michel Cluizel (noble ingredients) has some nice chocolate and they are in that same price range. It's a drag that Amedei shut down their New York office as I use some of theirs for a couple truffles.
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
12/28/09 11:36:55AM
53 posts
Bud,Thanks for the suggestion. I assumed their food service stuff was considerably more expensive. I will check it out.Also, I am a direct importer of Amedei and can supply you if you can't find anybody else. Among numerous other retail accounts, I supply Chocolatier Blue who uses nothing but Amedei. He uses roughly two hundred kilos per month so I get Amedei's best distributor pricing.Best,Matt
updated by @matt-caputo: 09/10/15 01:16:09AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores