Heading to Guatemala next week

Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
03/22/10 10:11:00PM
14 posts
visiting Antigua and Lake Atitlan. Can I learn anything about cacao here?
I am a chocolatier in Michigan: www.grocersdaughter.com

updated by @mimi-wheeler: 04/17/15 05:32:37PM
Mike3
@mike3
03/23/10 02:22:25PM
63 posts
There are cacao plantations in Guatemala. I believe in the Coban region, but there may be more that I didn't see.
Juan Pablo Buchert
@juan-pablo-buchert
03/28/10 09:50:40PM
8 posts
You will not find any cocoa plantation in Antigua and Atitlan as those places are too high. You need to drive to Alta Verapaz. You can contact Ignacio Cac Sacul, President of the Cocoa Producers Association of Alta Verapaz (ony in spanish) aprocav@email.anacafe.org and Eraimy Ramirez, a consultant of Funcafe, based in Guatemala City he will provide good advice, as well. eraimy_ramirez@email.anacafe.org (same, only in spanish). In Antigua you will be able to buy home made cocoa, you can ask for "Don Juan" a former employee of Hotel Aurora in Antigua, he uses to bring artisanal chocolate from his home place (At the Hotel they will manage to find him) Good luck.
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
03/28/10 11:49:30PM
158 posts
Come visit me at Danta Chocolate in Guatemala City. I can also get you in touch with my two cacao suppliers and see if they're willing to give a tour. One of them is quite close to Atitlan, on the coast side of one of the volcanoes. Are you here for Easter week? If so, most places of business are closed except in tourist areas (which will be completely overrun).

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores