Chocolate Thermometers

Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
04/05/10 12:18:47PM
10 posts

Ok, my tempering skills are not sharp. They are getting better but not there yet. I bought one of those paddle type of thermometers, but I am not happy with it. Is there any thermometer that is better than others? Digital over glass? Glass over digital? Brand or generic?

As Vinny Barbarino would say... I am sooooo confused!

Thank,

Steve K.

updated by @steve-kurz: 04/11/15 12:30:21AM
Kerry
@kerry
04/05/10 08:54:14PM
288 posts
Yup, infrared for me too. I've got a couple of Coopers - some bigger ones and some little ones without the laser. They all work well.Barring that I use a Pyrex brand digital probe thermometer like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-16484-Digital-Probe-Thermometer/dp/B0002MH0R2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1270515232&sr=1-5

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
dale montondo
@dale-montondo
04/05/10 10:22:50PM
10 posts
Infrared here too. Stir, stir stir.
Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
04/06/10 11:56:57AM
10 posts
Thanks for all of the quick replies! I guess I get to go shopping....electronically speaking, that is.
Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
04/06/10 04:58:49PM
29 posts
When I first started learning to temper, I bought one of the glass chocolate thermometers, and it helped me greatly. Other people were using a regular metal thermometer, and I could never catch it before it got to hot. With the one specifically made for chocolate, I could see exactly where the temperature was, and wouldn't over heat it. I had to temper 30# at a time back then, and and it made a huge difference. Never used the infrared. I just use my machine now :)
Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
04/07/12 02:10:05PM
10 posts

I know that this thread is a year old, but what a difference a year makes! I took your advice and purchased a quaity glass thermometer. I monitored the temperature faithfully. The bunnies came out fantastic! Each and every one of them!

Thanks for the tip, well worth the advice!

Clay Gordon
@clay
04/08/12 07:29:23PM
1,680 posts

Steve -

Thanks for following up and letting know everyone how things are going. Glad to know that the community was able to help you out.

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
rene
@rene
04/09/12 05:28:45AM
23 posts

I have learned that tempering is not proper term. the right term would be pre-crystallisation, because the stable beeta crystals what we need to have in our chocolate, don't form and line up correctly because of temperature. temperature is not the guarantee of good crystallisation. that is why you don't need to have or watch the thermometer constantly and worry about it. I bet all of you have been in the situation where you have done 'everything right' but the result is not what you wanted. the substance that makes those crystals is cocoa butter and if you just let it cool down on the table or pot, it will be still liquid but when you give it a movement, then it starts to crystallise. there is 3 main things for the proper pre-crystallisation, Time, Temperature, Movement...TTM. that is why the marble is used when doing the pre-crystallisation by hand. it is essential that in short Time you need to lower the Temperature of chocolate while constantly giving the Movement, because this is what gives and lines up the right crystals to the chocolate and when chocolate sample on your knife hardens in 3-5 minutes and has nice sheen, then it is ready. when not enough crystals it will not harden and when too much crystals it will have no sheen. so actually it is not a woo-doo and is more than easy to do pre-crystallisation without any thermometers, when you know and stick to the basic facts. thermometers with the big 'theory' about 'tempering' often just confuses people. try it...it's simple! good luck!

Rosie
@rosie
04/16/12 12:32:25PM
8 posts
I'm also an advocat of the infrared thermometer! After fiddling with a slow probe thermometer for a couple months i got so frustrated that infrared was the only way to go! I purchased a Fluke Mini 62 for just under 90$cnd on eBay it was some of the best money I've spent so far!
vipsy
@vipsy
01/25/15 12:21:38AM
2 posts

wow..great to b a member of ths lovely group...

i was planning to buy a thermometer as i ll b starting working wid chocolates soon...n i got ths thread frm ths forum...

i hvnt tried my hands bfr..curious to work...but as sumone suggested bfr,small qntty wont work to temper...so will buy sum more n start...

thnks all..

Deborah Torr
@deborah-torr
01/25/15 12:43:05PM
1 posts

I am also looking for an infrared thermometer.  Anyone have a brand/model that they have had good experience with?

many thanks

Balu Bala
@balu-bala
01/25/15 04:39:09PM
2 posts

The thermometer shown in the Amazon link seems to use 9V battery.  Typically 9 V batteries are expensive compared to AA batteires.  It may not be a big deal since the thermometer does not use much power.  Something to consider for a long time use.

It is important to know how these thermometers work and what their limitations are.  There are lots of information in internet.  The temperature reading depends on how you point the thermometer, how far is the object form the thermometer and the angle etc.  Of course, like others have mentioned, you have to keep stirring while you are making the measurement. 

These need to be calibrated with ice or boing water or comparing with another thermometer that is NIST referenced.  It may not be critical if you are not planning to follow other receipes that requires accurate temperature information.  For day-to-day use where you are trying to repeat your own recipe developed uisng your thermometer, it may not be critical.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores