Why is it so difficult to do? (some time ago a question from Joanna Miles)

Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
05/23/10 12:31:47PM
16 posts
These are the provide guidelines for the tempering of couverture fromValrhona:
Optimized temperatures for a better use of the chocolate couvertures from Valrhona (see attachment).
1.You have the melting: melt all the couverture for about 12 houres: this is crucialto ensure thatthe cocoabutter is properly melted.
2.Check that the temperature is between 131/136F 55/58C
3. Temper the required amound of couverture, making sure that you always have some warm couverture inreserve.
4. Stir the mass regularly and check that it is at crystallisation temperature 82/84CF 27-28/29C
5. Stop cooling the mass and immediately raise the temperature to 88/90C 31/32C,
a/ by adding warm couverture at 131/136F
b/ warming it in bain-marie
c/ warming it in the microwave oven (400/500W max, so as not to burn it)
6. Check that the couverture is at working at 88/90F, and stir the mass regularly to ensure that the temperature, and thuscristallisation, is evenly distributed.
If you should have new moulds, keep them out of the fridge and make sure that these are proper, clean theme always with cotton. Makesure one's moulded to store theme for about 30' at a cool and dry place between12/18C.
Normaly this is wath you should do to have a perfect result!
If not dont forget practice is the best way to gave these results, I need to saysome times I also have a result notsatisfy!
Lots of succes and greetings from Belgium
Geert

updated by @vercruysse-geert: 05/04/15 04:17:57AM
Magrietha Hendrika du Plessis
@magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis
08/14/11 09:56:42AM
83 posts

Hi, I am really having trouble with tempering Valrhona. I am able to get a reasonable result with Callebaut, but this Valrhona gets me down. I melt with a bain marie and use the seed method for tempering. We are now only going to use Valrhona and for dipping I have to temper the Equatoriale Lactee and it is a nightmare. The other day my chocolate was ice cold and still fluid, you could drink it, and today it is rubbery. I am in big trouble here as we have a BIG market next Saturday and we have already marketed our chocolates as the best and now I have to perform on short notice as we had problems with stock and I could not practice before.

I can control the temperature of the room I work in at the moment as it is not yet too hot and if needs be I can use a heater to make it warmer. I try and keep it at about 20C. Humidity I cannot control, at the moment it is 14%, but is set to go up as there is a little rain coming.

Anything I should be aware of with the Valrhona. I see it is very fluid and I love the thin coat it gives. Help Please!

08/14/11 10:49:59AM
83 posts
O yes I have to add that Valrhona is still very scarce in South Africa and I do not have a lot of chocolate to use as seed if I keep on making a mess. I am not able to temper by any other method as I am still very new in the game. So, problem is, how do I learn to temper Valrhona without using too much chocolate!
Debra Fleck
@debra-fleck
08/14/11 12:45:48PM
32 posts
Very very important to melt to the higher temps of approx 55 Celcius. Make sure you follow the temp requirements on the bag. Valrhona has a high amount of cocoa butter in the chocolate.
08/14/11 01:11:01PM
83 posts
Thanks, I think I am too scared to go high. I will try that.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores