brix hydrometers/ refractometers

Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
07/02/10 17:50:13
63 posts
Hey, do you all have a refractometer brand and where to purchase them tips?

updated by @sarah-hart: 04/11/15 12:16:42
Kerry
@kerry
07/02/10 20:18:21
288 posts
I got my first one through the medical lab at the hospital where I used to work. Cost several hundred dollars. Have bought 2 more through e-bay and have been very happy with them. Look for a honey refractometer - brix around 58 to 90 - should do what you need it to for pates de fruit. Ordering one directly from Hong Kong was the best deal. I had one that was defective and they took it back and replaced it with no difficulty.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
07/04/10 09:52:01
63 posts
Kerry- are the ones you use digital? I must confess to never having used one. But we are making sorbets now and I want to make them w just fruit and simple syrup and need it for that. Not sure what to get.
Kerry
@kerry
07/04/10 10:18:59
288 posts
Nope - they are the kind where you put a drop of liquid on the glass, flip the piece of plastic down on it and hold it up to the light to see where the line falls. A bit tricky - digital would certainly be easier.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
07/09/10 16:31:34
78 posts
I got mine at JB Prince. This is the place to go for many hard-to-find items.
David Lubertozzi
@david-lubertozzi
07/15/10 11:22:51
2 posts
AFIK, sorbets should be around 25-30 Brix; a cheap floating glass winemaker's hydrometer will work fine for that; they run $10-$30, here's some: http://morewinemaking.com/search?search=hydrometer&=Search Super easy to use; no calibration but you will need to multiply by a temperature correction factor if your sample is not at the same temp the bulb was factory-calibrated for (usually 60F).A decent winemaker's refractometer goes for around $60 at the homebrew shops; I've seen them starting for half that on ebay but obviously there's no guarantee of quality there.
Shane Essary
@shane-essary
07/15/10 11:24:07
3 posts
I picked up one from ebay for $10 or $15, IIRC.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.