brix hydrometers/ refractometers

Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
07/02/10 07:50:13PM
63 posts
Hey, do you all have a refractometer brand and where to purchase them tips?

updated by @sarah-hart: 04/11/15 02:16:42PM
Kerry
@kerry
07/02/10 10:18:21PM
288 posts
I got my first one through the medical lab at the hospital where I used to work. Cost several hundred dollars. Have bought 2 more through e-bay and have been very happy with them. Look for a honey refractometer - brix around 58 to 90 - should do what you need it to for pates de fruit. Ordering one directly from Hong Kong was the best deal. I had one that was defective and they took it back and replaced it with no difficulty.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
07/04/10 11:52:01AM
63 posts
Kerry- are the ones you use digital? I must confess to never having used one. But we are making sorbets now and I want to make them w just fruit and simple syrup and need it for that. Not sure what to get.
Kerry
@kerry
07/04/10 12:18:59PM
288 posts
Nope - they are the kind where you put a drop of liquid on the glass, flip the piece of plastic down on it and hold it up to the light to see where the line falls. A bit tricky - digital would certainly be easier.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
07/09/10 06:31:34PM
78 posts
I got mine at JB Prince. This is the place to go for many hard-to-find items.
David Lubertozzi
@david-lubertozzi
07/15/10 01:22:51PM
2 posts
AFIK, sorbets should be around 25-30 Brix; a cheap floating glass winemaker's hydrometer will work fine for that; they run $10-$30, here's some: http://morewinemaking.com/search?search=hydrometer&=Search Super easy to use; no calibration but you will need to multiply by a temperature correction factor if your sample is not at the same temp the bulb was factory-calibrated for (usually 60F).A decent winemaker's refractometer goes for around $60 at the homebrew shops; I've seen them starting for half that on ebay but obviously there's no guarantee of quality there.
Shane Essary
@shane-essary
07/15/10 01:24:07PM
3 posts
I picked up one from ebay for $10 or $15, IIRC.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores