Help needed finding cake cutter wire in bulk!

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
08/25/10 12:08:01PM
158 posts
I need to find a roll of serrated cake cutter wire ( this type of cake cutter) but everywhere I look, I can only find pre-cut lengths. I want the whole roll because I want to string one of my guitar frames with this wire. Some pieces really benefit from this serrated cut, but so far, no luck finding the stuff by the roll. Help!

updated by @carlos-eichenberger: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
08/28/10 12:50:13PM
158 posts
Really? No one? All the dessert pros on this site? 2 days and *crickets*
Kerry
@kerry
08/28/10 10:55:45PM
288 posts
This is the only place online that mentioned serrated wire - http://www.rfalloy.com/products.htm Doesn't look stainless though. Might be worth contacting them to see if they have more information.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/29/10 06:31:46PM
1,680 posts
I have never heard of anyone using serrated wire on a guitar. It would be very difficult to clean. Kerekes (bakedeco.com) sells guitar wire in 30m rolls on their site. Design et Realisation ( www.dr.ca ) sells guitars but does not advertise wire, but I would have to believe that an e-mail would reveal a source (or the fact that they sell it); in fact a post on the eGullet forum referenced below mentions that they do sell guitar wire. TCF Sales sells guitars - they probably also have wire.But you do want stainless steel. In fact, you could probably source the wire locally as long as it's food grade stainless and the right gauge it doesn't need to be packaged specifically for ganache cutter. Here's an article on eGulle t that includes plans for building a frame.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
08/30/10 12:28:56AM
194 posts
DR does sell guitar wire. I just got some from them.
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
08/30/10 12:40:12PM
158 posts
Oh I have several frames strung with good stainless wire. I'm just experimenting with the cake cutter wire, as a trial with a cake cutter yielded very clean and precise cuts, whereas the normal thin wire produced breaks in the chocolate even though it was paper thin. Also, the cake cutter wire is MUCH stronger, preventing the dreaded snapped wires in the middle of a ganache slab. Cleaning the cake cutter wasn't difficult at all, very hot water and patience did the trick.
Kerry
@kerry
08/30/10 01:45:42PM
288 posts
Would you consider just using heavier wire instead - I know some folks do that for cutting caramel.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Brad Payton
@brad-payton
08/30/10 07:04:06PM
13 posts
The Cake cutter I use has a serrated blade that is very similar to what is on a band saw. You might want to check and see if a band saw blade will work for what you are looking for.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores