Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/26/11 02:38:53PM
103 posts

Hi everyone.

I feel like I haven't participated in the forums for ages...

I have a quick question. I am looking into pectin, but there are a few varieties available and I am not sure the one I should get, as I need to get a small amount to test some recipes.

I found a lot of options on Amazon.com - and that's the issue: too many options.

What brand do you use? And where do you get it from, if not from Amazon.com

Thank you all!

Andre

updated by @andre-costa: 05/04/15 08:28:08PM
Kerry
@kerry
10/26/11 07:20:06PM
288 posts

Is it apple pectin for pate de fruit you are looking for?

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/27/11 10:52:20AM
103 posts

Hi Kerry.

Yes! I want to start making pate de fruit, and I would like to narrow down my options when it comes to pectin - is it the same thing as unflavored gelatin?

Kerry
@kerry
10/27/11 11:12:58AM
288 posts

Nope - not the same for sure. It was hard for me to get my hands on it here in Canada - but I now have a couple of sources. In the US - you can get it from Chef Rubber - http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Pectin-Pate-de-Fruit-1kg-2.2-lbs./

If you are on Amazon - narrow it down to apple pectin powder.

When you have it in your hands and you are ready to start - check out this thread on eG

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/100545-pate-de-fruit-fruit-pastes-fruit-jellies/page__p__1140481__hl__pates+de+fruit__fromsearch__1#entry1140481

I can send you the Boiron recipes if you can send me your regular e-mail address.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/27/11 02:43:35PM
103 posts

Hi Kerry.

Thank you so much for your help...

I would love to receive the recipes. My email is andre (dot) terrabrasilis (at) gmail (dot) com

(I hope one day we can share emails in forums like this without having to do the whole (at) (dot) blah blah blah...

Well, thanks again.

Clay Gordon
@clay
10/27/11 10:01:19PM
1,680 posts

Andre:

There are any number of books that go into the making of pates de fruits . Learning something about the chemistry will probably be a good help. Even if you don't want to buy your pectin from Amazon, I can recommend Peter Greweling's book - there's a whole chapter on Jellies.

Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/28/11 10:47:09PM
101 posts

Pectin is a unique gelling agent and is perfect for fruit since it uses acid to set, where most other gelling agentsused (gelatin, starch, agar,...) do not tolerate acidity well, and it has a very clean flavor profile. A high methoxyl (or HM) pectin is common for jellies, and is available in a range of DE (degree of esterification). The set is affected by solids level, but once you add the acid source, your time to deposit is limited before it begins to pre-gel. Acidifying to a pH of 3.1 will bring on a very rapid set, and a pH of 3.5 will be longer to set. When purchasing pectin ask if it has already been buffered. This helps slow the set. If not you can add your own, usually the buffer salt of the acid you use. So for citric acid, you add sodium citrate.

Many feel a citrus pectin is cleaner than apple. The level of pectin you use will vary depending on the type and level of fruit you use, as some already contain protopectins.

Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/29/11 12:22:51PM
103 posts

Hi Clay.

How have you been?

I do have that book and, although it can get pretty technical, is full of wonderful recipes and tips.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/29/11 12:23:58PM
103 posts
Great info, Mark. Thank you!!
John Marshall
@john-marshall
10/30/11 10:17:26PM
5 posts

Hi Andre

I use Pectins a fair amount. Some Pectins are heat sensitive - so it really depends upon what you want to use them for. Here are a couple of url's that you can use to determins what you need - and possibly use other products to acheive similar or better - depening on your requirements:

http://blog.khymos.org/2008/12/19/hydrocolloid-recipe-collection-v22/

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/hydrocolloids-primer/

All the best!

John

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores