Tempering Frustrations

Jasmine Mead
@jasmine-mead
11/30/11 11:37:18AM
8 posts

Hello everyone!

My little chocolate shop has been open for about 4 months now, and all of a sudden, I'm having tempering issues. (Of course it has to happen with 5 custom orders due in the next few days! Ugh!)

So, a little background. I'm using 2 Chocovision Revolation 3210s, and Noel chocolate (55% and 72%). The machine with the 72% has the new 'holey baffle' in it.

At the time of the difficulties, the kitchen was 64 degrees Fahrenheit, and humidity was 51%.

The 55% came into temper first, and the first test was horrible. All white and dusty, as if it wasn't in temper at all. Second test was the same, and the third. So...I hit the reset button on that one and moved on to the 72%. Exactly the same thing happened.

I'm assuming since the same situation happened to both machines, it was a environmental thing, rather than a machine malfunction.

Is 51% humidity too much? Is my room too cold? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and this hasn't happened to me since I opened...

Thank you in advance for your help!

updated by @jasmine-mead: 05/04/15 12:55:56PM
Al Garnsworthy
@al-garnsworthy
11/30/11 03:32:45PM
22 posts

relative humidity and temp seem to be fine..

Jasmine Mead
@jasmine-mead
11/30/11 03:47:46PM
8 posts

Same thing happened just now to me with the 55%. Again, 64 degree fahrenheit, but this time 47% humidity. I dumped that batch of chocolate (which was the same chocolate just melted down again) out onto to a tray and started with a brand new box of Noel. I shall wait and see what happens with this new batch....

Al Garnsworthy
@al-garnsworthy
11/30/11 03:57:42PM
22 posts

I'm not familiar with either the chocolate, or the machine you are using, however what I would say is if the chocolate this time does not temper, then maybe temper a batch (1kg) by hand using the seeding method and see if you can temper it that way... if it tempers, then you know it is a problem with the machine.

Al Garnsworthy
@al-garnsworthy
12/01/11 12:49:27PM
22 posts

Hi jasmine, how did you get on? Did you take the working temperature of the chocolate when the machine said it was "in temper"?

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
12/01/11 02:11:16PM
86 posts

Hi Jasmine,

Did you check your fridge? maybe the humidity is high in there, or the temperature is too low.

Another thing to look for is the temperature of your chocolate moulds, theymight be too cold when you pour into them.Another possible temperature shock scenario.

Good luck,

O

Jasmine Mead
@jasmine-mead
12/01/11 02:25:15PM
8 posts

After completely starting over after washing out the machine and melting new chocolate, the temper today was perfect. Still not completely sure what happened, but it's solved for now.

Is it possible for bulk chocolate (like you buy from the supplier) to absorb moisture and that is what affects the temper?

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
12/02/11 11:41:47AM
527 posts

I would also like to suggest that you check the accuracy of the thermocouple on your machine. Put a thermometer beside it as it goes through its cycles. With the exception of humidity (or the lack thereof) making the chocolate thicker or thinner, cocoa butter more or less follows the same non negotiable rules every time. Equipment does fail, so if you're having trouble one day and not the next, I would look at the tempering machine.

Cheers.

Brad

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores