Any great tasting raw chocolate?

brian horsley
@brian-horsley
03/15/12 12:15:52AM
48 posts

I'm not a raw foodie, don't care about health benefits, doesn't matter to me how raw is defined, or if its even possible. Just curious if anyone on this board has ever tried any great tasting chocolate that calls itself raw?

Here in Peru there is none available, i've never been able to try any. Anyone willing to comment on flavor/quality of raw brands, or recommend one that i could have someone bring down sometime? Again I don't care if its really "raw". Just seems like unroasted and presumably unconched chocolate would be bitter, astringent, and if the beans are fermented, vinegar-y.

any suggestions?

updated by @brian-horsley: 04/12/15 06:23:58PM
Nat
@nat
03/15/12 01:34:38AM
75 posts

Hi Brian,

The thing is very fewpeople makebean-to-bar "raw"chocolate aside from Pacari, Gnosis on specialLimited Edition Bars, and us occasionally. Don't know if anyone's coming from anywhere in the states, Ecuador, or Hawaii (for ours) where they can find theseto Peru, but at leastyou know know which to aim for.

-Nat

Nat Bletter, PhD

Chocolate Flavormeister

Madre Chocolate

http://madrechocolate.com

jessica@graciaschocolate.com
@jessica-osterday
12/09/13 01:49:04AM
1 posts

Nat,

I would love to understand more about bean-to-bar Raw production. I am curious how you sterilize the beans without roasting. I came across a forum post where Clay talked about potentially using UV lights. What have you found to be effective?

Secondly, Im curious how easy it is to remove the husk without roasting. My understanding is that the husk is loosened through the roasting process. What is your method?

I am super curious about this process and am in the beginning steps towards creating a full picture, so basically any information you want to share, I am open to hearing.

Thanks so much,

Jessica

jessica@graciaschocolate.com
@jessica-osterday
12/09/13 02:01:27AM
1 posts

Brian,I am with you in that I am not a raw foodie, and am not concerned with the definition of "raw." I do, however, enjoy the flavor. It tastes lighter to me, a little fruitier, and more subtle in flavor.

My preferred raw chocolate bars include LuLu's "Maca Love" bar, LuLu's "Aztec bar," and Fearless Chocolate's "MIdnight" bar. You might also try Sacred Chocolate's "Mylk" bar. It has a much different flavor than what you might expect, but it is worth trying for the experience of it.

Cheers,

Jessica

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores