What are the meterials of the chocolatier?

Or M
@or-m
04/16/14 12:07:37PM
19 posts

Hi,

I am starting to learn the art of making chocolate.
I have a basic question - do chocolatiers worldwide make their chocolates from cocoa butter + cocoa mass + vanilla, or they use premade chocolate like Valrhona, Callebaut, etc?

Thanks

Or M

updated by @or-m: 04/10/15 05:49:34AM
Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
04/16/14 01:10:38PM
86 posts

Hi there,

There are chocolate makers and chocolate "fondeurs" Chocolate makers produce their own chocolate recipe.it can either be from bean to bar or by mixing raw ingredients (cocoa mass,butter,sugar etc..) while "fondeurs" buy the chocolate from the list you mentioned, melt it and work their magic.

Or M
@or-m
04/17/14 12:05:27PM
19 posts

Thanks Omar,

I am still not sure what should I use. What most of the people who make pralines and chocolate bars use? What is considered "better"?

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
04/23/14 02:58:28PM
86 posts

I would taste and decide based on that.they all have a wide range of products.It all depends on your customers, what they like and how much they are willing to pay. We cannot really generalize and say callebaut is better than Belcolade for example, the dark chocolate might be better at Belcolade where milk might be better at Callebaut. It is also important to make sure the brand you choose is available in your area.Check with suppliers and compare prices. Good luck!

Or M
@or-m
04/24/14 02:26:51AM
19 posts

Thanks Omar,

My question was about making chocolate from premade chocolate vs creating from raw materials, sorry I wasn't clear.

What do most of the chocolatiers use? What is considered "better"? Making chocolate from raw materials like cocoa liquor + butter + sugar... etc, or using premade chocolate likeValrhona, Callebaut, etc? I am not sure what should I choose as abeginner chocolatier.

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
04/25/14 11:29:35AM
86 posts

As a beginner you would want to start using premade chocolate.Simply because your chocolate consumption in the beginning (assuming you will be opening a chocolate shop) will not be as high.

To make chocolate with raw materials you will need a machine to cook your recipe, which involves high cost in buying, maintaining the machine, energy bill etc...

Or M
@or-m
04/27/14 07:29:02AM
19 posts

Okay,

Thanks Omar!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores