Need Ideas for an Advanced Chocolate Course - what would people want to learn?

Kerry
@kerry
10/09/09 01:58:31PM
288 posts
Brian Donaghy - pastry chef at Tomric - and I have been discussing running an advanced chocolate course aimed at artisan chocolate makers who need to improve their talents and their product.I would assume that most people would love to look at some equipment with an eye to increasing production - but beyond that what would you think that people would want to learn if they knew the basics but wanted to improve?I guess it begs the question - what are basic chocolate techniques and what are advanced techniques? What do most people who are producing feel they are weak at and want to improve?

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca

updated by @kerry: 04/12/15 05:42:56PM
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
10/11/09 02:41:43AM
104 posts
I have a small production that supplies 3 retail outlets and numerous hotel and wholesale accounts. I have a great tempering unit, a SELMI Plus, but can't afford to add a $3000 guitar or $1400 Thermomix or Robocoupe( everything cost double here after you add shipping) or lots of other goodies that cost a bundle. ( Actually I bought an $1800 guitar and the plastic base warped so that was a costly error and I'm back to low tech cutting)I love molding and am fast and consistent at it but also like the efficiency of slab ganaches that you can decorate.The combination of techniques makes the case more interesting.So a challenge for me is getting consistent results with low tech equipment-cutting ganaches with drywall tools or paint shields etc. I 'd like to do more complex ganaches with layers of texture but when you start adding ingredients like that all kinds of new problems occur and they are also challenging to cut into somewhat perfect consistent pieces. So understanding more about how different things react with each other and at what point to add them to maximize their crunch or flavor etc....building more complex ganaches.Also knowing what the effect of various additives is whether its glucose, trimoline, sorbitol or other shelf life extenders.I see people put salt on top of chocolate ...well in my tropical climate you can't do that, it melts almost instantly. So does sugar. I made a creme brulee ganache and caramelized sugar, then smashed it up and added it to the cooled ganache. It was heavenly for several hours.. But in the time the pieces sat overnight, even in my 65 degree cool room to dry out a little to enrobe the next day the sugar "melted" and lost its crunchy edge due to humidity most likely. You can't leave cough drops out here , they get soft in a few days.Peppermint bark would never work, the candy canes go liquid in their wrappers.I guess the "artisan" part of the chocolate is that they are not all perfect mirrors of one another but in striving for better perfection I'd just like to find solutions for having a little more consistency.
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
10/11/09 05:06:08PM
194 posts
I would like a class on airbrushing techniques. I am tired of the same old splatter or spray.
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
10/11/09 05:18:00PM
104 posts
More on 3-D molding would be good too
Kerry
@kerry
10/11/09 09:09:11PM
288 posts
The plan is Buffalo - we haven't any dates organized yet - still in the development and planning stages. We would likely be in the Tomric kitchen as Brian can organize the use of it.Another question that occurs to me would be what dates people would prefer for something like this - I suspect that most would want to wait until after the holiday rush when things get a little quieter from a business perspective.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
10/12/09 06:46:27PM
288 posts
Thanks Darren.

--
www.eztemper.com

Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
10/14/09 03:21:06AM
104 posts
thanks for the sugesstion Robert. I don't have a spray gun but I did recently buy some food lacquer to play with. I solve my problem by putting the salt inside. I do Kiawe smoked salt caramels- tastes smoky like bacon wood but no meat (yuk) . Kiawe is like mesquite. I use a variety of Hawaiian salts that we have here-red, black, green.
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
10/14/09 03:24:11AM
104 posts
You East Coast people are lucky...thats 5000 miles and 6 hr time zone difference for me! Not inexpensive to fly to Buffalo.
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
10/14/09 02:35:16PM
58 posts
"What is the guard schedule at Tomric?I don't understand the question?brian
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
10/14/09 03:19:46PM
98 posts
Have you checked out ecole chocolat? that's right here in Vancouver. I believe they have an advanced course ( Master chocolate program ). Not sure of the details exactly but worth a checking out, If you haven't already. Cheers.
Kerry
@kerry
10/14/09 04:23:47PM
288 posts
Of course you could always get a bunch of people together and invite Brian and I out to run a course in your neck of the woods.

--
www.eztemper.com

Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/14/09 05:01:24PM
103 posts
And it is amazing you don't have a well established training facility in your area, considering how wonderful the foodie scene is - just check SFran!What about that culinary school in Napa Valley? I don't recall the name, but it seems like a nice, big school.
Kerry
@kerry
10/14/09 08:53:27PM
288 posts
Sounds like a perfect plan!

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
10/14/09 09:00:27PM
288 posts
Bacon distilled in booze?I just got a new still - I'm getting it cleaned up now, but I'm anxious to see what all I can distill. Of course - not alcohol, that would be illegal!

--
www.eztemper.com

Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
10/15/09 04:12:10AM
104 posts
Hey sounds great to me!! You'd have to schedule the class Hawaiian style...enough time for the beach. The Selmi lives 20-25 min from a beach with Manta rays and turtles.
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
10/15/09 10:29:28AM
98 posts
Lana, you said you did the courses at Ecole. I just registered but am a little apprehensive with it only being an online course, I'm a hands on person and prefer to see the tasks done correctly to fully understand it. In your experience how did you find it? where there any pro's and cons?Any insight would be appreciated.
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
10/15/09 12:57:16PM
58 posts
Sorry I didn't get it, my sense of humor needs a reboot. LOLDo you need an X mould, I think we have a stock item that wouldn't be too expensive. The cost goes up if it is a custom size.Lemmie know.bdonaghy@Tomric.comorbrian@thecriollogroup.comb
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
10/15/09 01:00:22PM
58 posts
If someone wants a class we can get equipmemt where ever or no equipment. I believe the goal of classes isn't about equipment, it's just a tool like a dipping fork or a mould. Class goals should always be independent of the tools being used.b
updated by @brian-donaghy: 01/28/15 11:13:06PM
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/15/09 01:23:48PM
103 posts
Although you asked Lana, let me chime in.I've taken the Ecole online class this year; but, just like you, I am very hands-on and visual. So, before starting the online class, I took an introductory class at a culinary school in my city.That was invaluable! Once I had that first glimpse into chocolate making, I could more easily understand the concepts given out by the Ecole.Now, regardless of the actual chocolate making experience through the Ecole, the amount of useful information they give you is fantastic - the course is worth its price for the resources alone!Best of luck,Andre Costa
Kerry
@kerry
10/15/09 01:54:40PM
288 posts
I realize that it's a little off topic here - but I have produced a series of educational DVD's that the Ecole Chocolate recommends - not very costly - and allow you to actually see the techniques for tempering and molding etc. I produced them after trying in vain to learn from books - then having gone and spent a week of evenings with a chocolatier and seeing how it was done - realized most people need to see it.

--
www.eztemper.com

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
10/15/09 01:59:59PM
98 posts
Where can I get the DVD's?
updated by @dirke-botsford: 09/08/15 03:09:18AM
Kerry
@kerry
10/15/09 02:03:52PM
288 posts
my website is www.thechocolatedoctor.ca - just send me an e-mail at kerry-at-thechocolatedoctor-dot-ca

--
www.eztemper.com

Ilana
@ilana
10/16/09 03:48:12AM
97 posts
I can easily get a bunch together, and 5 mins from the beach so can you run to my neck of the woods?
Kerry
@kerry
10/16/09 07:00:46AM
288 posts
I'll let you know when the party going to happen! I've got the unit up north here with me (it's a Gaggia Alambiccus) for cleaning and polishing - it's all brass and copper and had about an inch of burned on floral crud in the boiling vessel - getting that out was about a week of alternating acid, heat and elbow grease.It's wired 220 so when I get it back home, hubby will put a dedicated plug in my chocolate room and I can fire it up.The plan is to make my own essential oils to flavour the chocolate stuff.I wonder if you take existing alcohol, run it through the still with spices and stuff in the basket to flavour it, is it still illegal?

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
10/16/09 07:14:04AM
288 posts
We so gotta do this!

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
10/27/09 10:46:39PM
288 posts
Looks like we've got dates picked out - Feb 28 and Mar 1. Brian is going to firm up the outline and I'll post more later - but the topics to be covered will be shelf life, decorating techniques, 3d molding, dipping and getting a perfectly smooth bottom. Of course we'll make a bunch of centers and provide new recipes for them.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
09/13/10 09:31:46AM
288 posts
Due to scheduling issues this class got cancelled in Feb - but we are set to go again on October 17 and 18. We've had one dropout and have room for one more participant if anyone is interested. E-mail me at kerry-at-thechocolatedoctor-dot-ca if interested for the details.

--
www.eztemper.com

Pamela Goldman
@pamela-goldman
09/16/10 01:00:04PM
3 posts
I got that without explanation -- guess we bakers are a pretty sorry lot, too :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores