Chocolate Bar Packaging Options - Your experience and feedback

eileen h.
@eileen-h
05/15/12 04:15:32PM
6 posts

Hello Everyone

I'm trying to decide on the best packaging options and wanted to get feedback in terms of price, ease of use in automated manufacturing, durability, printing issues, etc.

I'm looking to produce a 3 oz and 1.5 oz bar and I currently have the option of the typical film bar flow wrap that is mechanically sealed on both ends.

However, I really like the idea of having the bar in a plain film flow wrap but then using a cardboard box to enclose it. My reasons are that the addition of the box looks more premium, easier in terms of storage and shipping, more printing copy space, and for customer convenience in that the consumer can use the box to store the uneaten chocolate.

Is this too costly to do? How difficult is this to do?

Does anyone have any recommendations on suppliers and pricing?

Thanks so much!

updated by @eileen-h: 04/13/15 01:53:06AM
Adam Kavalier
@adam-kavalier
09/26/12 06:48:44PM
12 posts

Hi Eileen,

Have you had any luck finding vendors for your packaging specifications? The packaging manufacturers and distributorsthat I have found only do high volume, I haven't found anyone making less than tens of thousands of packaging materials at a time. I am also looking for either lightweight cardboard or heavyweight paper wrappers, as well as chipboard boxes to display the wrapped bars. If you or any other chocolate life members have any leads they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

beth campbell
@beth-campbell
09/27/12 01:22:41PM
40 posts

I am also searching for eco friendly options for packaging on a smaller scale. I am currently using paper backed foils and would like to use eco foil , or recycled paper. I make 1 ounce bars and also hearts and soon other shapes. How does one go about displaying the different shapes?

Wendy DeBord
@wendy-debord
09/27/12 11:04:09PM
8 posts

Hi,

I came across this source: http://gourmetbusinessdirectory.com/ that I've kept in my favorites. They seem to have a lot of useful sourcesfor small food business, that might lead you to helpful sources. You have to dig through their links (past the constant ad for you to upgrade and buy their info.), but I recall finding info. for my own state there that I hadn't found else where.

Wendy

eileen h.
@eileen-h
09/28/12 12:16:19AM
6 posts

Thanks Wendy! Will check it out.

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
09/28/12 09:06:09AM
58 posts

Eileen

Here is someone I have worked with http://eco-friendlypackaging.com/ . Very eco friendly and Paul is willing to work with realitively low minimums.

brian

Carol
@carol
09/28/12 05:08:57PM
24 posts

Thank you Brian, This looks like a very good bar packaging solution.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores