How to make a shelf stable chocolate liqueur?

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
10/04/15 09:41:51PM
132 posts

I am wondering how one formulates and processes a shelf stable chocolate liqueur. The creamy varieties that are used for dessert drinks are especially mysterious to me. How does one preserve the dairy products in the liqueur? How do things stay emulsified? Does anyone know?

Thanks!!

Daniel

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/09/15 03:06:49PM
101 posts

Are you talking about a soft white creme center, or a clear center (sugar crust liquor)?

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
10/09/15 03:25:55PM
132 posts

I am not talking about a confection, but rather a bottled liqueur that could be sold at a liquor store. Godiva makes a version of this http://www.godivaliqueurs.com/ . I wonder how to go about formulating and processing a bottled product. I'm wondering if any special emulsifying equipment or homogenizing equipment is necessary. I would love to hear any input. Thank you!!!

Daniel

Sebastian
@sebastian
10/09/15 05:08:42PM
754 posts

It's most likely just a solvent extracted product, with that solvent being ethanol, maybe a little color or top noting flavors added.  A little heat, a little pressure, and ethanol's actually a pretty good extraction agent for many things.   It's also quite flammable, and may require a governmental accounting of it's use (depending on the volume), so tread carefully.

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
10/09/15 05:41:40PM
132 posts

What about bottled liqueur that have cream (or the appearance of cream) in it? How does a cream liqueur like Baileys stay fresh without refrigeration? How does one keep the product emulsified?

Sebastian
@sebastian
10/10/15 06:33:40AM
754 posts

Out of my scope there mate. I've actually seen the process that makes Bailey's (it's a robot, i forget her name...) that's very cool.  I know that's not a particularly helpful bit of info for your question, it just sparked the memory 8-)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores