tempering chocolate

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
11/04/15 03:30:38PM
7 posts

Hello,

I'm slowly accumulating equipment for the purpose of making dark chocolate.  Some equipment will be affordable; others, like a good tempering machine, probably won't be.  I've read good reviews of the Rev 2 temperer, but it is a little too expensive at this point, and the Rev 1 seems to have mixed reviews.  Any hints or clues about different low-tech tools for tempering chocolate would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Jason

Clay Gordon
@clay
11/04/15 04:14:22PM
1,680 posts

Jason -

For such small quantities learn to do it by hand if you can't afford the machines. The experience you gain learning to hand temper will pay huge dividends going forward. In the end, machines can only do what you tell them to do. If they don't produce correct results and you don't know what tempering looks and feels like then you are not in a position to know why the machine "failed" to temper properly. 

It's not the machine's fault, actually. They are not artificially intelligent and cannot read your mind or evalaute the chocolate they are being asked to temper. They don't know the external temperature, or humidity, or anything like that. So they can't react to changes in ambient environment, for example, that will affect temper.

Finally - and I really don't want to dissuade you from pursuing your chocolate dreams, at this stage if the difference in price between a Rev 1 and a Rev 2 is straining your budget then wait and save until it's not an issue for you.

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
11/05/15 12:00:59AM
23 posts

I temper chocolate, bean to bar that I make, in one stainless steel bowl. I use a double boiler to heat it, place it in a sink with a couple inches of cool water to cool it, and back on the double boiler to heat again. All while stirring with a spatula. I can do up to 6 pounds at a time. I would say this is about as low tech as one can get. I did buy a melter to pour the tempered chocolate into to maintain a working temperature. I started making bean to bar chocolate at home about a year ago and have made about 40 batches of different types. Although no white (yuck). 

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
11/07/15 10:27:44AM
7 posts

Thomas,

Is it always necessary to use seed chocolate when tempering?

Jason

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
11/07/15 10:37:32AM
7 posts

Clay--

I totally agree with you about learning to temper chocolate by hand first.  Good advice.  Thank you for your input and I look forward to learning from you and others who have such deep knowledge about the amazing world of chocolate.

Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
11/07/15 11:19:00PM
23 posts

Hi Jason,

You do not have to use seed chocolate when tempering. This is just one method usually used by people that melt tempered chocolate for making truffles and such. There are many YouTube videos on tempering chocolate. I would suggest watching some these and then giving it a try. You can always buy a bag of chocolate chips and practice. 

- Thomas

Jason Ferguson
@jason-ferguson
11/16/15 12:17:01PM
7 posts
Thomas,
What kind of melter do you use? Is it a Mini Rev?
updated by @jason-ferguson: 11/16/15 12:51:55PM
Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
11/16/15 02:11:08PM
23 posts

I use the Mol D'art 6Kg melter http://www.moldart.be/en/producten/chocolate-machinery/chocolate-melters/. It is not a tempering maching like the Mini Rev. I only use it to keep chocolate that I manually tempered at a constant temperature while I mold. Take a look at the www.chocolatealchemy.com for more information about making chocolate. There is also a forum on that site that has lots of info.

updated by @thomas-snuggs: 11/16/15 02:11:35PM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores