Packaging question

CAT B
@cat-b
04/13/16 04:52:58PM
16 posts

Hey folks- Thinking about new packaging and wanted to run a question by the forum to be double certain. I'd like to pack panned choc in FDA approved food contact safe compo-stable "plastic" bags. These bags would then be put in a tin that IS NOT food safe... and then sealed. I figure it's ok as long as the choc doesn't come in contact with the tin...just the bag. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

Thanks so much for your time!

Clay Gordon
@clay
04/14/16 02:15:26PM
1,680 posts

Cat -

Perfectly acceptable to put product in a food-safe inner bag inside an outer pack that is not.

One question might be how non-food-safe the tin is because people might empty out the contents of the inner bag into the tin once opened.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
CAT B
@cat-b
04/16/16 10:48:15PM
16 posts

Clay - Thanks so much for your time and answer! Good question about the tin...I'll have to think on that one. 

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated!

Jim Dutton
@jim-dutton
04/17/16 09:17:28AM
76 posts

This discussion brings up a question I have had for a long time:  What exactly determines if a container or a substance is food-safe?  What, for example, makes polycarbonate molds food-safe?  Stainless steel bars used for slabbed ganaches?  One food wrap vs. another?  A plastic sold as a tablecloth vs. a similar plastic sold as a tarp?  In the particular question in this thread, why would the tin not be food-safe?  I have not been able to find definitive information on this topic.

Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
04/17/16 10:59:13AM
23 posts

I'm not an expert on food safe materials but my understanding is: A material is food safe if it does not react or leach unsafe chemicals, or unsafe levels, into the food. For example, Food cans are coated on the inside with a food safe material so that the contents do not react with the metal can. Otherwise, one would not only ingest the food, but also some of the elements of the can itself. Here's a link to some info by the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/PackagingFCS/ucm064166.htm.

CAT B
@cat-b
05/11/16 01:03:13PM
16 posts

Great adds to the discussion...thank you for your time!

CAT

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores