Chocolate sides caving in?

Michelle-Jo Garfield
@michelle-jo-garfield
11/29/11 05:36:42AM
13 posts

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why some of my chocolates sides cave in after a few days. Im' guessing its either from the shell being too thin or the mixture having too much moisture.

They look great at first and then a few days later. the sides are all concave.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cocoa Jo

updated by @michelle-jo-garfield: 04/24/15 08:08:32AM
Justin Schaffer
@justin-schaffer
11/29/11 03:19:44PM
6 posts

Do you let your ganache set overnight before you cap it or enrobe it ? The ganache will shrink and suck the sides of your chocolate in..

This is the short version to a long answer...

Hope it helps !! :)

Michelle-Jo Garfield
@michelle-jo-garfield
11/29/11 03:28:29PM
13 posts

Thank you!...I usually do but in this particular case I didn't. Thanks I will try again and see how it goes.

Jasmine Mead
@jasmine-mead
11/30/11 03:52:18PM
8 posts

I exclusively use square magnetic molds for my truffles, and the same thing was happening to me. I reduced the amount of cream I used by about 2 tsp and haven't had the problem since.

Good luck!

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
11/30/11 09:52:11PM
101 posts

Look at the moisture level and the sugar types and levels.If the water isn't tied up enough by the sugars it will easily migrate into the chocolate, making the chocolate soft, and the center will shrink and firm up. How the chocolate is standardized to viscosityalsoinfluences how fast the migration occurs.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores