TRANSFER SHEET CRISIS! Wedding is in 3 weeks! Im doomed...

Klassy
@klassy
05/04/12 09:54:17PM
24 posts

So it's been a while since I posted a question here (which is usually a good thing!), but I'm in a bad spot right now. I will explain.

So I have been using standard chocolate transfer sheets I buy from chefrubber.com (great site). The sheets are completely translucent like an overhead projector sheet. They are printed on with the cocoa butter print ink and other than that there is nothing on the sheet.

I decided to buy my own edible ink printer and print my own for when I do weddings because it costs too much to order them and they make me buy 100 times more than I need.

Here is the problem; the 'Blank transfer sheets' have this matte looking layer (not clear at all, its white) that is made out of like corn starch or something. THIS ISNT WHAT I WANTED! I talked on the phone with the lady for like 10 minutes trying to explain to her that I wanted them to be like the ones I get on cheffrubber that are COMPLETELY clear and have the design printed onto it like that.

The ones that I got leave weird texture marks on the chocolate and they dont transfer very well, and the color.... the color is horrendous! They look so dull! I am used to the ones ive been using that are so bright and vibrant.

Take a look at the pics on my site (klassychocolates.com) and see if you know what Im talking about.

I have to make a "J&J" logo in lavender by the end of the month and I was really hoping this printer thing would work.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you can provide. Anything you can offer will not only help me, but will help hundreds of others when they search the same topic because this site is the best one out there and always comes up first.

Thanks!

Ryan

updated by @klassy: 04/14/15 04:55:23PM
Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
05/06/12 08:45:13PM
29 posts

The pre-made sheets that are clear are made with cocoa butter, not any kind of ink. Edible ink printers only print with food coloring. They are not going to be the same as the commercially available ones.

If they are "white looking" it is because they are made so that they will absorb the ink, therefore allowing it to adhere to the chocolate. If you try to print on acetate, which is clear, the ink will just smear.

Depending on where the sheets came from , they are probably covered with a mixture of cocoa butter, gelatin or something else.

Also, if you are trying to use the ones you print on dark chocolate, they are not going to show up. You need to either spray the back of the transfer sheet after printing with white cocoa butter, or put a thin layer of white chocolate in the mold before the dark so it has a light background.

There is nothing available for a printer that will make sheets like the ones you buy from Chef Rubber. As long as the chocolate is in temper (should be at the higher end) there will be shine.

These are some of the ones I've done using the white background.

1133-pacific1.jpg?width=200

And this one is with a thin layer of white chocolate

1135-gingchoc.jpg?width=200

david roberts
@david-roberts
05/23/12 03:15:34PM
11 posts

Hi robyn can you tell me how you get such a thin layer of white chocolate in your mold, do you slacken the chocolate down with something and how do you make it to look so white.

Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
05/25/12 07:46:55PM
29 posts

The top photo has white cocoa butter airbrushed over the printed image. The second photo has a thin layer of white chocolate that I simply piped in the mold over the image. Let that set and molded with dark chocolate.

Airbrushing with something white is really the only way to get the true colors to show up on dark chocolate. I did the white chocolate on the picture of my cat when I was first experimenting with the whole set up and it worked better for her blonde coloring.

david roberts
@david-roberts
05/26/12 08:47:22AM
11 posts

Thanks for your help robyn, i use the same chocolate mold that you use for your 2 pics showing, i wonder if you have managed to find a chocolate box they actualy fit in, the standard inserts for say 6 chocs in a box are to small.

Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
05/26/12 06:29:52PM
29 posts

I mostly use inserts that come in boxes that I ordered from Chocolat Chocolat in Montreal. I also use some from Nashville Wraps. They seem to fit in most I have.

david roberts
@david-roberts
05/27/12 07:39:24AM
11 posts

Thanks Robyn, dont know what i would do without you. Starting off is never easy the uk does not seem to cater for chocolates made from home.

Debra Farnum
@debra-farnum
07/12/12 09:19:13AM
5 posts

Hi Robyn,

Your comments and suggestions have been a huge help to me. I have ordered the blank sheets from Tomric and they advised the sheets are coated with "starch, modified starch, sugar". Do you know any suppliers in the U.S. or Canada that carry the cocoa butter coated sheets? I am nervous that the ink will not transfer/adhere to the chocolate. The chocolates you made with the PACIFIQUE logo look great, did you make them using the Tomric sheets?

Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
07/13/12 09:15:10PM
29 posts

I've only bought the one pack of sheets and those were from Tomric. I'm not doing a lot of chocolates right now, so I haven't had the need to buy anymore. I've had good luck with them, and the Pacifique logo is just printed then airbrushed.

This link has sheets, but it doesn't give any details on ingredients. Bookmarked this site long ago as something to look in to, but they are more expensive.

Cesar Jose
@cesar-jose
02/21/13 06:55:50PM
11 posts

Dear Robyn can you please let us know your white cocoa butter brand? The one that you used for the Pacifique logo. And do you use any airbrush? Best regards!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores