Cleaning Molds

Matt Carter
@matt-carter
01/22/13 03:07:15PM
9 posts

Suddenly my health department wants me to clean and sanitize all my molds between uses.

Do you guys do that?

Does anyone know of any regulations from any health department anywhere that covers cleaning chocolate molds?
We have in the past cleaned them when there is cross contamination or anything other than chocolate on them,

and I have always been told never to put them in the bleach water.

I've seen some employees sanitizing a few molds before I stopped them, and I don't see anything going wrong with those molds. Is that an Old Wives Tale?

updated by @matt-carter: 04/09/15 06:23:22AM
mirihn
@mirihn
01/22/13 08:10:40PM
3 posts

I'm interested to hear replies, too. My health department expects everything to be sanitized in a dishwasher, with temperature sensitive stickers to prove that the water got up to 160F. But I also keep reading that you should never wash molds, etc.

Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
01/23/13 03:46:24AM
6 posts

I contacted the manufacturer of my polycarbonate molds, and they specifically said DON'T put them in the dishwasher . . . now what?

Christopher M Koshak
@christopher-m-koshak
01/23/13 08:46:18PM
15 posts

My local health dept. is great when it comes to this, they know their stuff and don't bust my chops about not sanitizing my molds. Once the chocolates are out of the molds I put the molds into my warming cabinet and then wipe out the excess chocolate, then use cotton cosmetic wipes to shine them and they are ready to use again. The health dept. is fine with this method. If there is something stubborn stuck in the mold such as caramel I run it under hot water and dry it quickly as to not leave water marks on them.

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
01/24/13 10:16:13PM
527 posts

If you are just using chocolate in the molds and not egg products, then there is no need to. Some health inspectors need to be educated with regard to the risk of chocolate as a confection (almost zero). Your inspector probably just doesn't know.

I just went through a thorough inspection of a new store with a health inspector who wasn't familiar with chocolate.He looked at the solid chocolate in my tempering machines (the bloom kind of looks like crystally mould), and asked how often we wash them. I told him "We don't." He was very surprised. I then had to explain to him about water and chocolate, and the moisture content in chocolate not being conducive to pathogen growth. After that, he was fine.

If you still have trouble, go over your inspector's head and get the straight goods from his/her supervisor.

Having said that, maybe your shop is so messythat they just said "this guy's a pig and needs to clean EVERYTHING." (not that I'm saying you're messy. I just don't know.)

Cheers.

Brad

Hope that helps.

Alex Radcliffe
@alex-radcliffe
06/07/13 11:03:44PM
6 posts

I tried this method for nearly a year and every single piece of chocolate came out of the molds looking like there were finger prints all over them. Mind you, I followed this method, polishing them with cotton cosmetic wipes, and could never get a perfect shinny result. Long, frustrating story, short, I rinse them in hot water and then I put them through the dishwasher. Now, every single molded piece comes out with a perfectly bright shine. Spotless. No finger prints. Just gorgeous! So all this talk about not putting molds in the dishwasher certainly doesn't hold-water in my experience.

Lawrence danielka
@lawrence-danielka
06/08/13 08:43:46PM
4 posts

Hello Everyone

So I get some free moulds a few weeks ago. I was very happy about this. After getting them home I found a lot of little black specks in the detail parts of the moulds. The moulds were outside in a storage unit.Are these dark specks normal? Meaning left over chocolate ad someone did not clean these out very good?I took Q-tips and paper towels to the moulds after runing through the dishwasher.Some of the dark spots came out but some did not. I am not sure if they did not come out due to not being able to reaching in to the small detailed space or if the areembedded in the mould. Does any one have a better way to get in to these small spaces with out scratching the mould? I have add pictures. Please tell me what you think. I only ask because I would never put chocolate in it for someone if Iwould not eat out of it my self.

HeatherJ
@heather-johnston
06/25/13 09:16:50PM
17 posts

I had a health inspection in Chicago last year, and when the inspector asked me how I sanitize my molds (I don't; I never use water or cleaners), I showed her photocopies of instructions on mold care from 3 companies and 3 textbooks that all said absolutely not to wash them. She was fine with it after all that...

Paul Callico
@paul-callico
06/26/13 01:30:21PM
2 posts
Use these instructions. You can use these cleaning agents for Lexan & Polycarbonate.When Lexan sheet is first installed, glazing compound and masking paper adhesive can be easily removed by applying naphtha (VM &P) or kerosene with a soft cloth, followed immediately with a thorough soap and water cleaning. DO NOT USE GASOLINE. Adherence to regular and proper cleaning procedures is recommended to preserve appearance.Washing to minimize ScratchingWash Lexan Sheet with a mild soap or detergent (e.g., Joy** dishwashing liquid) and lukewarm water using a clean sponge or a soft cloth. Rinse well with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a chamois or moist cellulose sponge to prevent water spots. Do not scrub or use brushes on these products: their coating is UV-resistant, not mar-resistant.Fresh paint splashes, grease, and smeared glazing compounds can be removed easily before drying by rubbing lightly with a grade of VM&P Naphtha or isopropyl. Afterward, a warm final wash should be made, using a mild soap or detergent solution and ending with a thorough rinsing with clean water.Minimizing Hairline ScratchesScratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. Four such products that tend to polish and fill scratches are Johnson Paste Wax, Novus Plastic Polish #1 and #2 (Novus Inc., Minneapolis, MN), Mirror Glaze plastic polish(m.G.M10 Mirror bright Polish Co., Pasadena, CA), and Plexus* (B.T.I. Chemical, Aguora, CA). It is suggested that a test be made on a sample of Lexan sheet with the product selected and that the polish manufacturer's instructions be followed.Some Important "Don'ts"- DO NOT use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaners on Lexan sheet products.- Never scrape Lexan sheet products with squeegees, razor blades or other sharp instruments.- Benzene, gasoline, acetone, or carbon tetrachloride should never be used on Lexan sheet products.- DO NOT clean Lexan sheet products in hot sun or at elevated temperatures.Compatible Cleaners for Lexan Sheet ProductsThe following cleaning agents have been found compatible with Lexan sheet. The manufacturer's recommendations and instructions should be followed.- Joy**- Freon T.F.- Palmolive liquid***- Top Job**- VM&P grade Naphtha- Windex with Ammonia D****Paul
David Gomes de Freitas
@david-gomes-de-freitas
06/27/13 09:33:23PM
5 posts

You can try to use hair dryer to clean de molds with high F winds.

david ghobril
@david-ghobril
09/22/14 08:37:09AM
4 posts

Sometimes heath inspectors get a bit overzealous and want everything sanitized. Chocolate does not support the growth of pathogenic bacteria and I never clean them unless seasonal molds being put away for next year (chocolate left on these molds picks up off flavours from the air) I scrape them before putting them away and playing around with plumbers-lye jeezus, one accidental episode in the eyes and you will be making brail chocolates. Corn cobb media polishes molds, the italians use this. Just heat befor casting with a hot air gun and do not polish just cast before the thin film cools.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores