Solid chocolates versus filled bonbons - trouble with setting up properly

HeatherJ
@heather-johnston
03/06/13 11:35:37AM
17 posts

I'm looking for any insight or help on a problem I'm having getting solid chocolates to set up properly. I'm using properly tempered dark chocolate, room temp of 70 deg F. I filled two molds, and emptied one out as a shell to fill later, and kept one as solid. Left at room temp overnight, and the next morning the shell is set perfectly, and the solid chocolates have white swirls throughout, as if it was not tempered.

Thoughts on this and advice on how to avoid this unsightly problem?

Thanks,

Heather

updated by @heather-johnston: 04/29/15 03:17:01PM
Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
03/09/13 10:14:05PM
132 posts

There is still too much heat trapped in the solid chocolate when you cast it. I don't mold solid pieces and tabletts, but I have seen other chocolatiers pop the filled molds into a fridge briefly (with low humidity) to get the heat out.

Kerry
@kerry
03/09/13 10:18:44PM
288 posts

Like Daniel says - it's all about the latent heat of crystallization. As chocolate crystallizes it gives off a lot of heat and that can throw the chocolate out of temper. So particularly with solid items as soon as you see the edges starting to show signs of crystallizing throw the mold in a well ventilated fridge to carry off the heat.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
HeatherJ
@heather-johnston
03/10/13 09:22:58AM
17 posts

Thanks - it's as I suspected. I'll try it this week...

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores