Top 10 most expensive chocolates

ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/05/08 06:08:09PM
251 posts
What are the worlds most expensive chocolates?For uniformity of comparison we'll use a standard of Price (US$)/100g. 1) Cocoa Gourmet Their most expensive is Duo Gold at US$253/piece!!. (US$506 for 2 pieces.) They offer gold and silver leaf covered chocolates. When I inquired about the weight my personal chocolate concierge replied, Each Baton dOr (22 carat gold chocolate) weight 26 grams once adorned. So the total weight of the 2 pieces is 52 g. The price is...$973.08/100g!! ($4427.50/lb)!You also get a velvet lined wooden box with an engraved brass plate. As for the chocolate, they unabashedly say that it's just a couverture shell, covering a filling. In answer to my inquiry, I was told that the shell is Flechin Grand Cru Maracaibo Clasificado 65%. The silver version costs the same as the gold.I first read about this on Clays TCL blog entry Sometimes It's *Not* About The Chocolate 2) Noka Their most expensive is Vintages Collection, 4 piece box , in a stainless steel box.Good investigative journalism uncovered this. Read the synopsis version here from seventypercent.com or the full version here . I called Noka and learned that you get 8.5g of chocolate for your $39. (That's the total weight of 4 pieces, so 1 piece is a mere 2.13g!) Therefore the price is...US$458/100g (or $2084/lb).Do you have more to add? What chocolate is in 3rd place?
updated by @chocofiles: 05/03/15 12:29:19PM
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/05/08 06:10:41PM
251 posts
Expensive truffles The Madeleine Truffle (You have to scroll down the page.)WHERE: Knipschildt Chocolatier; Norwalk, Conn.PRICE: $250 per truffle, or $6,000 per pound
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
05/05/08 10:03:34PM
63 posts
Re: # 2) Cocoa Gourmet--That is just craziness--- I know because we custom gold leaf some of our chocolates, so I am very aware of the time and cost involved in gilding chocolates. They are marking those up by about 250 dollars each, I imagine! Wow.
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/08/08 11:24:35AM
251 posts
I gathered more information about the weights of the chocolates and updated the list accordingly. See my original post for the updated version.
Hallot Parson
@hallot-parson
05/14/08 10:33:02AM
15 posts
I've been to the NOKA shop in Dallas, and had 2 of their "truffles". I thought the whole process was just foolish. The small store is impressive to look at, and packaging was extreme - The box of 2 truffles came with its own full color brochure showing various photos including one of a mountain peak (no idea what the relevance of that is).The chocolates can only be described as mediocre. This is a place where flash is more important than content or quality. I would be ashamed.Hal
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/14/08 01:09:13PM
251 posts
In another place someone called these "con-fections". What an apt term!
Brady
@brady
05/19/08 10:14:01PM
42 posts
My find isn't near as outrageous as the prices of Cocoa Gourmet or Noka, but still expensive. I recently went in Dessert Studio (the old Michel Cluizel boutique) and saw they were selling Amedei Chua 50g bars for $19.50 and Amedei Porcelana 50g bars for $22.50. Thats almost $10 per bar more than Chososphere and the other shops in NY.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores