Custom molds

Jeffray D. Gardner
@jeffray-d-gardner
10/07/13 02:30:50PM
13 posts

Hello everyone including all lurkers!

I saw the Micelli polycarb molds advertised on the Chocolate Life but I am looking for a much larger industrial mold. I am looking for a mold that is 24" x 16". Anyone have any suggestions on who to contact for this size of mold?

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Jeffray D. Gardner

Marsatta Chocolate

updated by @jeffray-d-gardner: 04/12/15 05:47:48AM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
10/07/13 07:09:20PM
527 posts

That's pretty big for polycarbonate - essentially the dimensions of a full sized sheet pan. You might want to consider a thermoformed mold and the use a sheetpan to help stabilize it.

Jeffray D. Gardner
@jeffray-d-gardner
10/07/13 08:46:24PM
13 posts

Thanks for your reply Brad. I appreciate it! I'll check it out. Do you know if there is a big difference in terms of the material used? I am actually looking to create small cavities or inclusions within the large mold that will be approx. 1/4 inch square in size so you can imagine just how many cavities it would hold. Thanks again.

Go Flames Go!

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
10/08/13 02:50:37AM
527 posts

1/4 inch in size eh? Hmmm.... Thermoformed mold probably won't work for you. Essentially what thermoformed mold is a sheet of heavy plastic laid over top of a "negative" of the mold, heated almost to melting point, and then sucked down on to the negative by vacuum pressure. The detail is nowhere near the clarity of polycarbonate, and is certainly not going to get you the 1/4 inch inclusion squares you want.

Polycarbonate molds are essentially little pellets of plastic that are melted and then forced into a metalmold shape under intense pressure and heat. The plastic cools and then the mold is popped open to let out the molded shape - which is usually very hard and clear (some are white). A machine that could handle a 2 foot sized mold would be huge. I'm sure they are out there, but holy cow your molds will be expensive. Prepare to sell off your first born for those bad boys!

My suggestion would be to create a negative out of wood, or molding clay, or something like that, and then use silicone. You can then make your own. There are lots of videos online to do that, and most cities have craft stores where silicone molding supplies are sold.

Hope that helps.

Jeffray D. Gardner
@jeffray-d-gardner
10/08/13 09:29:44PM
13 posts

Thanks for explaining the differences Brad. Your right about expensive! I was getting quotes of $5,000 +... yikes! I like your suggestion as I need my Oompa Loompas for future work!

I am going to try and see what I come up with. Definitely I see a challenge.

Cheers!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores