Seeking Comments on Felchlin Dark Chocolate

Jim Dutton
@jim-dutton
01/21/14 09:18:15PM
76 posts

I am interested in finding a different dark chocolate and am thinking of Felchlin products. Unfortunately I have not seen a source for small amounts of the chocolates, and so am seeking comments from those who have tried the two in which I am most interested.

The two chocolates are Cru Sauvage and Maracaibo. As a point of reference, I started my chocolate experience using several different Callebaut products (including their 70% dark), then moved to Valrhona Caraibe, which I am finding a little bitter for my taste (I have tasted most of Valrhona's dark chocolates and Caraibe was my favorite).

I have read good things about the two Felchlin products. Any comments will be appreciated.

updated by @jim-dutton: 04/11/15 05:41:17PM
Vera Hofman
@vera-hofman
01/22/14 03:10:42PM
16 posts

Hi Jim, Excellent choice! I love Felchlin, especially the Cru Sauvage. You can find more information of both Grand Cru's on their website:

http://www.felchlin.com/en/product/cacao-maracaibo

http://www.felchlin.com/en/product/cacao-bolivia

Call the distributor for samples and taste them. I'm curious to your opinion!

http://www.felchlin.com/en/continent/usa-central-south-america

Chocolove, Vera

Jim Dutton
@jim-dutton
01/22/14 09:20:12PM
76 posts

Vera,

Thanks for those very helpful links.

ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
01/23/14 02:29:32PM
251 posts

I also really enjoyed the Cru Sauvage, even though I only had it in couverture. (I forget the term for those little round discs.) See my review notes attached. I think it would be an excellent choice if it fits your budget.

I have also reviewed 4 other Felchlin chocolates. You can find my reviews at ChocoFiles .

Jim Dutton
@jim-dutton
01/23/14 03:57:24PM
76 posts

In all my internet explorations I had not come across your very useful site; I am glad you pointed it out. And I appreciate your comments on the Felchlin Cru Sauvage in particular. I was, however, surprised at your review of Valrhona's Caraibe (my current dark chocolate), namely, that it was too sweet. I am thinking that if you found that product too sweet (I found it too bitter, except perhaps with the sweetest of ganaches), we have very different palates, and I had better prepare myself for tasting Cru Sauvage. Thanks for your help.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores