Dipping/enrobing vs molding

Paul John Kearins
@paul-john-kearins
02/13/14 09:59:29AM
46 posts

I moved to the USA a year ago and started my business selling what I consider to be "european style" chocolates. I learned early in my career to pipe whipped ganache for dipping and I've kind of stuck to that technique and being in the USA discovered that it's a method not commonly used ( from what I've been able to find online at least) . From that perspective I assumed I would have something novel on offer. My experience here is showing me that the trend toward molded and colored products is what sells. I've considered changing my technique but not sure if that's wise seeing as I have a name for "no artificial colors" and purely molded bonbons are a little too old-school in my opinion. Is a divided assortment too sloppy? Some molded and some enrobed? Or do you think it should be one or the other? Curious what you all think...

updated by @paul-john-kearins: 04/10/15 07:41:48AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
02/13/14 10:54:17AM
194 posts

You can buy natural colored cocoa butter. I do both molded and enrobed pieces. With whipped ganache, don't you have a short shelf life?

Paul John Kearins
@paul-john-kearins
02/13/14 11:14:35AM
46 posts

I recommend keeping them 10 days tops but I've tasted some after two weeks and they are fine... yeah I was looking at natural coloured cocoa butter... Thanks for the response, I'm going to have a look at what you are doing.

Paul John Kearins
@paul-john-kearins
02/13/14 11:20:50AM
46 posts

Love your chocolates!

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
02/13/14 03:32:25PM
132 posts

I would do what you are passionate about. If pipedganache is your thing and you are good at it go for it. People love to support someone who is passionate about their craft. Many chocolatiers in the usa do use color. There are a few who don't use color and are quite successful because their chocolate is excellent. I especially admire Lionel Clement of Nuubia Chocolate.

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
02/14/14 12:16:43AM
527 posts

If I can offer my two bits...

For fun, and maybe something "exclusive" to offer your customers do what you're passionate about.

For business, don't bother asking people on this forum what you should do. They/we aren't your customers. ...And don't ask your customerseither. Theyalready like your product. Poll people in your area who don't buy from you what you should do. After all, they are the ones who should be paying your rent but aren't.

Paul John Kearins
@paul-john-kearins
02/14/14 09:07:58AM
46 posts

Good point about asking people who don't buy from me. I must be doing something right because the large part of my clientele order again and again.

Piped ganache is my thing , indeed, and I am good at it and I love doing it, 'nuf said I guess! Passion sells.

I ask here because I know you are in the same business and I value opinion from professionals.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores