Tips for clearing a chocolate-clogged drain?

Malena Lopez-Maggi
@malena-lopez-maggi
06/08/10 02:02:45PM
13 posts

Our kitchen sink has started backing up on a regular basis. I try to get as much chocolate as possible into the trash so it doesn't wash down the drain, but inevitably some gets in there and builds up. We have no garbage disposal.

Boiling water, enzymes, baking soda, etc. did nothing. Sulfuric acid and a snake finally did the trick, but even the acid doesn't seem to do much to chocolate.

Has anybody tried dissolving chocolate clogs with an alkaline solution, like lye?

Any other tips, tricks & techniques for keeping drains clear?

Thanks!

updated by @malena-lopez-maggi: 04/10/15 03:38:12AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/08/10 04:04:08PM
1,680 posts
The trick is to warm the pipe itself.You could use wire tape that you wrap around pipes to keep them freezing in winter. Another solution is to use a heat gun directly on the pipe.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Tracy Bradford
@tracy-bradford
06/08/10 08:31:14PM
6 posts
I wonder if putting in one of these would help in the future? http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/gleco-trap.htm Sorry I can't offer any better suggestions for you.Tracy
Duffy Sheardown
@duffy-sheardown
06/09/10 02:16:09AM
55 posts
When putting a sink into my factory the plumber rigged up a very simple trap in the outlet pipe from the sink. He glued a simple aluminium baffle half way across a small plastic tank. Basically, the waste water goes in, the chocolate floats to the top and is held out of the waste outlet by the alluminium.It's his version of an expensive fat trap and cost almost nothing to rig up. I haven't explained it very but if you look at professional ones you will see what you need to try and do.Duffy
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
06/09/10 12:56:45PM
158 posts
I imagine a blast of steam could also be helpful, just take care not to overpressurize the pipe!
Malena Lopez-Maggi
@malena-lopez-maggi
06/09/10 04:21:05PM
13 posts
Thanks for the tips, everyone! Very helpful

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores