Outsourcing chocolate production

Daniel Gaal
@daniel-gaal
03/21/12 12:00:54AM
6 posts

Hi everyone,

I am a student from McGill University working on a business project to produce chocolate spoons for consumption with frozen desserts. I am trying to determine the cost of manufacturing 2500kg of dark chocolate in the form of chocolate spoons (a complete spoon), which is about 275,000 spoons.

The dimensions we have used for the spoons are the following:

4 inches in length, 1 inch width, depth of an inch.
Each spoon is estimated to weigh 9 grams.

The percentage of chocolate desired is 72%.

Would you be able to estimate a cost to manufacture this?

I sent this email to Barry Callebaut as well but I am not sure if they will give a quote on a student project. So if anyone could give some advice on a general number we could expect to pay I would be very greatful!

EDIT: A company replied to me with a quote, case closed. Thank you everyone!

In case anyone wanted to know, they said they would charge us 25 cents per spoon.

Thank you kindly!
Regards,
Daniel G.

updated by @daniel-gaal: 04/10/15 07:37:24PM
Jonathan Simpkins
@jonathan-simpkins
03/21/12 12:19:58AM
11 posts

Please give us more details.

brian horsley
@brian-horsley
03/21/12 12:30:44AM
48 posts

Hi Daniel, are you seeking quotes to potentially actually do this, or just to get numbers for a school project? I can ask at a factory here in Peru that does that kind of small chocolate run, but i can't waste their time on a purely theoretical problem.

saludos,

brian

Daniel Gaal
@daniel-gaal
03/21/12 12:41:40AM
6 posts

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately it is a school project (i cannot say if we will undertake this in the future).

Daniel Gaal
@daniel-gaal
03/21/12 12:50:40AM
6 posts

I do not know much about chocolate, so I only specified dark chocolate. Assume it is "standard" dark chocolate and not very expensive.

The outsourcing is to take place in Ste Hyacinthe Quebec, approximately 60 km from the "company warehouse" in Montreal, Quebec.

Each batch of 2500kg of chocolate spoons is to be completed every month. Assume delivery is handled by us, not the outsourcer.

We estimate each spoon will be sold for $0.75 at retail.

Assume the molds will be provided by us.

Is there anything else I should add? Our business plan is not supposed to go into minute details so I do not have much more than this, unfortunately. A reasonable estimation is all I need!

Thanks again,
Daniel

Jonathan Simpkins
@jonathan-simpkins
03/21/12 01:02:23AM
11 posts

I apologize, I did not read your post correctly. I thought you would be making the spoons yourself. If you are looking to contract out the work, I have no idea.

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/21/12 03:08:20AM
527 posts

Olivier's Chocolate & Candy here in Calgary has a prodution facility with moulding machines and cooling tunnels to address your needs. They can even source out a well priced chocolate for you.

info@oliviers.ca. Chocolate Factory: Bay C 2828 54 Ave SE, Calgary, AB (403) 266-6028

Cheers.

Brad

Daniel Gaal
@daniel-gaal
03/21/12 01:55:10PM
6 posts

Thanks Brad! I will contact them.

Daniel Gaal
@daniel-gaal
03/22/12 12:54:42PM
6 posts

Good news, I got a quote! Thanks everyone =)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores