Drinking Chocolates

Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/18/08 09:57:22PM
38 posts
Watching the video of cocoa shell tea made me wonder about some of the other out of the ordinary drinks that are made from cocoa. I'd love to hear some recipes and get some insight from others. I know that is how it all started but the art appears to have been lost after the first chocolate bar.
updated by @eric-durtschi: 04/13/15 05:58:33AM
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
08/19/08 07:13:58AM
73 posts
I don't think that I'd say the art has been lost. It simply isn't very popular in "developed" countries to make chocolate drinks, when compared with the popularity of solid chocolate. Take a trip to Mexico, Belize, or elsewhere in Central America, and it is a very different story. Anyway, your question is pretty timely, as I just published this blog post a few days ago:That should give you some ideas.
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/19/08 09:27:58AM
38 posts
You have mention there of a brewed chocolate drink. Who makes this? I'd like to try that as well as several of the other things. Thanks for your insight.
Diana Smith
@diana-smith
08/19/08 03:26:49PM
2 posts
I watched the video also, but since I didn't have cocoa shells, I used nibs to brew some chocolate tea. I steeped it for 6 minutes, and added just a smidgen of sugar but no milk. (Being a milk chocolate lover, that was a bold move for me!) It had a pure chocolate flavor with little bitterness. I liked it and want to play with different spices, such as cinnamon, or chili powder. Time to explore.
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/19/08 03:44:16PM
38 posts
I have been working on a brewed product for the past year and I am just now getting it worked out. What I do is very different from what you mentioned Alan. Hopefully I'll get it all worked out. I just had something called Cocoa Samoa. They cook beans in water for a long time then add stuff like cinnamon and vanilla. It was really good.
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/24/08 11:59:32AM
1,680 posts
Eric:I think you may be looking for Cabaret Brewed Chocolate .One interesting side not here is that one of the co-founders of Cabaret (before they made brewed chocolate they were making confections) is now one of the co-founders of Tcho - Timothy Childs.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/24/08 12:03:25PM
1,680 posts
If you are really interested in a chocolate drink that is out of the ordinary, try macerating (soaking, infusing) roasted nibs in a really good silver rum. About 1/2 cup in a 750ml bottle, soak for at least three days (to taste), shaking daily. Then strain through cheesecloth. Do not skimp on the rum - it won't turn out right.A variation on this is to use vodka instead of rum and use the result as the base to make chocolate martinis.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Teresa Cordero Cordell
@teresa-cordero-cordell
09/05/08 07:31:30PM
13 posts
Here are a couple of drink recipes that we enjoy. I hope you like them too.First recipeChocolate MargaritaChocolate Chipotle Powder, recipe follows1 ounces dark chocolate liqueur1 ounces chocolate vodka1 ounces tequila1 coffee flavor liqueurChocolate Chipotle Powder*2 tablespoons Mexican Chocolate ground into powder1 tablespoon ground chipotle powder (or red chile powder if you prefer)Mix completely and set aside.Spread the Chocolate Chipotle Powder out on a large plate. Rim 2 (8-ounce) martini glasses by rolling the edge of each glass on a clean wet sponge, then rolling the edge over the powder. Tap the glass gently to knock off the extra powder. Pour the rest of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is frosty. Strain immediately into the glasses and serve.Second recipe:Chocolate Martini cup half-and-half or light cream8 ounces dark chocolate liqueur (1 cup)2 ounces vodka (1/4 cup)Ice cubes2 tablespoons ground Mexican Chocolate teaspoon ground cinnamonMix ground Mexican Chocolate and cinnamon. Spread on a plate. Moisten rim of martini glasses with a wet sponge and dip into the chocolate-cinnamon mixture.In a pitcher, stir together the half-and-half or light cream, chocolate liqueur, and vodka.Place ice cubes in a martini shaker. Add liqueur mixture; shake. Strain mixture into four to six chilled martini glasses.
anny
@anny
09/10/08 02:57:54AM
1 posts
vbv

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores