Tempering Machine VS Melter

Lawrence danielka
@lawrence-danielka
05/13/13 21:52:43
4 posts

Good day to Everyone

I have been thinking about expanding my hobby chocolate making into a small business. I have been tempering by hand and melting on a double boiler for 1.5-2 lbs batch at a time, but I think it might be time to upgrade. I only have about $500-$1000 to spend at this time. I make bars and truffles. If you can let me know which you wouldpick and why it would be betterit would be a great help.

Thanks

Lawrence :)

updated by @lawrence-danielka: 04/10/15 19:17:49
Lawrence danielka
@lawrence-danielka
05/17/13 20:17:54
4 posts

does no one have an opinion?????? Help please

Clay Gordon
@clay
05/18/13 10:13:24
1,680 posts

Lawrence -

You did not indicate that your purchase decision was imminent so I don't think anyone thought you needed to know right now.

You can get a decent capacity melter - 10-12kg - for well under $1000. As you are confident with your manual tempering skills this is the least expenisve way to expand capacity in the price range you mention.

The other option is a small-capacity Chocovision (the Rev 2 specifically) is about your only choice. Get the holey baffle to increase your capacity, but it will still be lower than the melter. The one advantage a Chocovision does have is that it will do a better job of keeping the chocolate in temper over the course of several hours of working time. With the melter you will have to watch it more closely and be responsible for keeping it in temper.

It's a toss-up. If you are really, really comfortable with your manual tempering skills then you will probably be able to do a better job of tempering by hand than the Chocovision can. The difference is manual versus semi-automatic.

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
05/18/13 11:42:14
527 posts

Personally I would recommend the ACMC machine before the Rev 2. It will temper more chocolate, and is far less noisy.

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
05/18/13 12:13:46
132 posts

I am a believer in getting a Mol D'art Melter to start. I purchased a 6kg melter and 5 years later I use it all the time. I have made many thousands of chocolates out of that thing. The other tempering machines are nice, but you will be able to produce more chocolates out of the melter.

Kerry
@kerry
05/19/13 15:58:02
288 posts

I second the Mold'art. I have 3. I like the capacity and ease of dumping back into them when making molds.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Lawrence danielka
@lawrence-danielka
05/21/13 10:11:34
4 posts

Good Day Everyone

I am sorry if I come off the wrong way. I decision was imminent. I want to thank everyone for their input on this. I was able to get a Rev 2 for a very good price.:) I would still like to get a melter with the let over money which is around $600. I see that the Mol D'art Melter is very popular. I was also thinkingabout this melter. Does anyoneknow where the cheapest place to get one of these melters?Does anyone recommend any other melter?

Thanks again for the help!

Arun Bhargava
@arun-bhargava
05/22/13 14:11:37
3 posts

Another source for good chocolate melters http://ipfco.com/Chocolate%20Melters.htm

[ Note added by moderator - IPFCO is located in India and the poster has a business relationship with the company. ]

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.