Salted Caramel

Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
10/18/12 04:29:32PM
58 posts

I just did a salted caramel chocolate with a 70% dark chocolate shell and a cream caramel with sea salt. It's great, but I was wondering if anyone has any "research" on caramels. Sugar crystallization, effects on chocolate, etc :)

updated by @daniela-vasquez: 04/21/15 02:28:59AM
lailalauren
@lailalauren
04/12/17 12:31:48AM
23 posts

Daniela Vasquez:

I just did a salted caramel chocolate with a 70% dark chocolate shell and a cream caramel with sea salt. It's great, but I was wondering if anyone has any "research" on caramels. Sugar crystallization, effects on chocolate, etc :)

any recipes to share.. <3

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
04/12/17 08:45:09AM
132 posts

Hi there! Making Caramel is a big part of my business. When I first started making caramel in very large batches, I experienced crystallization and had many sleepless nights over it.

Are you adding glucose or any other type of "doctor " or anti crystallizing agent to your recipe? IT could be brown rice syrup, tapioca syrup, corn syrup, etc.... could you tell us how much granulated sugar and how much "doctor" you are using?The way I solved all my problems was by increasing the doctor agent substantially.

lailalauren
@lailalauren
04/17/17 06:26:14AM
23 posts

Daniela Vasquez:

do you have a recipe to shre with us please?

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
04/17/17 08:42:28AM
132 posts

I am looking at Ramon Morato's recipe for caramel in his excellent book on Chocolate. It is on page 316. I would actually like to adjust it so it will not be likely to crystallize. In the originial recipe it lists 700 grams of sugar and 150 grams of glucose. I would make the glucose and sugar content equal. So the recipe would be as follows:

750 grams heavy cream

700 grams sugar

700 grams glucose

200 grams fresh butter

2 g sodium bicarbonate

salt/or vanilla to taste

Some people have problems with caramels crystallizing. Some people do not. This recipe is intended for those who have issues with it.

maudlofq
@maudlofq
06/02/17 03:03:22PM
20 posts

Daniel Herskovic:

I am looking at Ramon Morato's recipe for caramel in his excellent book on Chocolate. It is on page 316. I would actually like to adjust it so it will not be likely to crystallize. In the originial recipe it lists 700 grams of sugar and 150 grams of glucose. I would make the glucose and sugar content equal. So the recipe would be as follows:

750 grams heavy cream

700 grams sugar

700 grams glucose

200 grams fresh butter

2 g sodium bicarbonate

salt/or vanilla to taste

Some people have problems with caramels crystallizing. Some people do not. This recipe is intended for those who have issues with it.

I'm having problems with caramel too. I'll try this out. Thank you!

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
06/06/17 08:41:11AM
132 posts

Yes, I think making the quantity of glucose and sugar equal will inhibit crystallization.

Give it a try. See if you like the results. Then I would do some shelf life tests to see how long the caramels can go without going rancid or crystallizing.

Best of luck to you!!

Daniel

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores