newby maybe stupid question

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
06/28/14 04:06:42PM
28 posts

So, I made my first couple batches of Chocolate a week ago and even with all my mistakes, it was GREAT. Maybe like a hot dog when you are camping...better than a rib eye at home. Anyway as I move forward and plan for my next batches, I was going to make cocoa butter to add to my chocolate. I was surprised to find that the information on making my own cocoa butter was basically extract it from the chocolate I was planning to return it to.

Am I missing something here?

updated by @jim-cameron: 04/20/15 06:00:52PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/28/14 05:43:52PM
754 posts

You'll want cocoa butter that has been taken from someone else's liquor to add to your own.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
06/28/14 05:49:05PM
28 posts

Thank you Sebastian, it's a learning curve buit lots of fun.

Jim

Sebastian
@sebastian
06/28/14 07:28:20PM
754 posts

have fun, and post your results!

Miguel Pujols
@miguel-pujols
06/28/14 09:41:57PM
20 posts

In case you want to know about getting your own cocoa butter in future. To do that you need a press that basically pushes the cocoa liquor extracting the greasy part which is cocoa butter and leaving a cocoa cake that is actually broken into pieces and pulverized to get cocoa powder.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
06/29/14 07:50:42AM
28 posts

Thank you all for your help, I ordered some cocoa butter on eBay and will try using that in my next batch. Lots of experimenting but all good! GO Costa Rica in today's world cup game!!

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
07/20/14 08:41:36AM
28 posts

I'm not sure how many stupid questions we are allowed? But here goes. Does the amount of Cocoa Butter added make a difference in the stabilization of the chocolate in warm weather? I live in Costa Rica, will be making and selling my chocolate here where it is always warm (thank God). Any other tricks for making chocolate less susceptible to heat?

Miguel Pujols
@miguel-pujols
07/20/14 04:12:19PM
20 posts

Not really. Cocoa Butter will actually make it be more unstable. What big companies do is that they add a little bit (maybe no more than 5%) of palm oil to increase the melting point, but I don't see that as an option.

I live in Dominican Republic so I face the exact same problem and I have noticed that if WELL tempered the chocolate could stay hard for quite a while, make sure it doesn't have direct sunlight tho.

Are you considering to sell your products in fairs or some other outdoor activities?

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
07/20/14 04:28:06PM
28 posts

Hello Miquel,

Thank you for your help. There certainly is plenty of Palm oil in the area, the landscape is ugly with palm plantations for the oil.

I am very newly into this and do see farmer's markets as a possible outlet as well as a source for locating wholesale accounts. I will work on my "tempering" and experiment with shelf life. The good news is it really seldom gets over 80 degrees Fahrenheit here.

I thought if I did fairs, farmer's markets I might keep it in a cooler. At the moment, I am thinking about using a mylar packaging that I use for my freshly roasted coffee. I can seal it tight and then keep it out of ANY sunlight.

Again, thank you kindly.

Jim

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
07/20/14 05:56:08PM
61 posts

I have a question, I'm new to this and want to know what the standard chocolate recipe, percentage of sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor?apology to put me in your conversation jim!

Miguel Pujols
@miguel-pujols
07/20/14 06:05:16PM
20 posts

Hey Jim,

I did sell in a small fair once and it was terrible for me, I was not prepared and some of my chocolate melted. The cooler idea might work, you could use a wine cooler, make sure it has temperature and relative humidity control and of course include an estimated electricity consumption for the wine cooler to your costs.

Good luck :)

Miguel Pujols
@miguel-pujols
07/20/14 06:06:23PM
20 posts

Hello Mariano,

You can find some directions and basic recipes on this link at the ChocolateAlchemy .

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
07/20/14 06:18:31PM
61 posts

many thanks, Miguel
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm starting on this issue and I have many doubts. another question where I can get used machines?

Miguel Pujols
@miguel-pujols
07/20/14 08:38:58PM
20 posts

What machines are you looking for specifically? What is the hourly or daily production you are expecting to get with it?

To tell the truth, buying used chocolate machinery is very tricky and you need to check very deeply on your purchase.

Right know I just know of two companies that would sell used equipment.

- MTE Bifaro in Italy.

- Union Machinery in the States.

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
07/20/14 11:21:12PM
158 posts

I agree with Miguel about buying used equipment. Unless it's refurbished or I was planning on refurbishing it, I wouldn't buy used. This is the "rough service" stuff like a melangeur or conche/refiner. Basic chocolate equipment like tempering machines and such I believe it's OK (and have done so) to buy used.

For starter operations, Chocolate Alchemy has a decent array of equipment.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores