How do I get nutritional infomtion for my prouct?

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
02/24/15 12:31:34PM
132 posts

Hi there,

A grocery store is interested in carrying our chocolate bars. They require nutrional labels for our bars. How do I develop that? Is there a service that develops that? Thanks very much!

Daniel

updated by @daniel-herskovic: 04/10/15 11:44:08AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
02/24/15 01:04:59PM
754 posts

Easiest thing to do is to use the nutritional information provided by your suppliers, and do the math for your formulation.  If, however, you don't have that, you can use the generic categories contained in the USDA food composition database.

Hope that helps!

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/food-composition/usda-nutrient-data-laboratory

Clay Gordon
@clay
02/24/15 04:20:30PM
1,680 posts

Another thing to know is that there is small business exemption to the nutrition labeling requirements. You have to be under $50 million in sales, under 500 employees, and sell fewer than 100,000 units per product annually to qualify. All you need to do is apply, I don't think there is a fee.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Jack Meyer
@jack-meyer
02/24/15 11:10:24PM
9 posts

Contact Lev at Recipal.com. He will develop 2 free nutritional labels for your products. If you have questions he can usually answer them. I was referred to him by another member of The Chocolate Life and was very pleased with the service. Let me know if it works well for you. Good Luck!

Gap
@gap
02/28/15 07:06:36PM
182 posts

On a similar theme: is ghee an allowable ingredient in milk chocolate? 

Or asking a different way, is there a difference between ghee and anhydrous milkfat or butterfat? Is it essentially the same thing, just a different name? Or are they made fundamentally differently and considered different ingredients?

Sebastian
@sebastian
03/01/15 08:56:39AM
754 posts

Ghee, is very similiar to anhydrous milk fat.  It's often heat treated much more significantly than AMF, so it's color and flavor may differ.  Since Ghee is much more regional than a more standardized AMF, there's going to be a much wider range of what any given Ghee actually is.  Conceptually, very similiar to AMF - but there's a wide variation.  Closest things to watch are how much moisture is present in the Ghee (keep it as low as possible), and how much oxygen it's been exposed to (more = faster rancidity.  Most ghee producers will have no idea what you're tlaking about when to start to have this conversation, fyi).

Gap
@gap
03/01/15 05:30:08PM
182 posts

Thanks Sebastian - much appreciated as always

Sebastian
@sebastian
03/01/15 06:38:38PM
754 posts

Quite welcome

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores