Cocoa beans at great prices

Tom
@tom
11/02/08 10:49:08PM
205 posts
Clay I noticed that you are selling small amounts of beans. I make chocolate at home and am interested in trying some of the origins. I was wondering if anyone else here had used them to make chocolate and what they thought about them. A little speil about what flavours to expect, heavy or light roasting, why you chose those beans to sell would be great. I can roughly gather what they would be like by experience with tasting chocolate and making using similar origins and what I have read but I want something to draw me in and get me excited about choosing one and giving it a go.
updated by @tom: 04/18/15 03:13:06AM
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
11/03/08 06:37:39PM
38 posts
Here is a brief descriptor of the beans offered here. For more specific onformation just ask and I'd be happy to respond.DR Hispaniola - Luscious, earthy toned bean with a lot of complexity. Fruity as well as hints of rum and green tea with a nice cocoa aroma.DR Sanchez This is the same bean used in the Hispaniola with the exception that this bean is not fermented. Just sun dried.Mexican Tabasco - Savory, meaty, mouthwatering a very pleasant earthy aroma, with very little astringency. A bit tangy. Dont be afraid to give these a full roast but dont roast them until they popPanama Light fruitiness (apple and fig), earthy and classic cocoa taste. Not too complex and just enough bitterness to balance). Medium roast for best flavor.Madagascar - Light chocolate flavor with intense flavor notes of citrus and raspberry. Be careful with the roast. Youll have to toy with it but a little under roasted or over roasted makes a huge difference with this bean.Ecuador Nacional - Delicate cacao flavor, accented by a perfumed floral scent and lovely floral tones including a dominant jasmine note and nutty after-tones.Ecuador CCN-51 A great overall bean. Classic cocoa taste and aroma. Not too complex.Rio Caribe - A Trinitario bean grown near the Rio Caribe, in the Sucre State of Venezuela. This cacao has a slight dark tone and a refreshing bitterness. Common flavors are coffee, almonds, slight red fruits, and pure cocoa.Sur Del Lago - This cacao is hearty and robust, and bears an extreme dark tone with flavors of butter, hazelnuts, and red fruits plus floral tones.Carenero Superior Fairly smooth and well rounded. The two best characteristics of this bean are the cherry like taste and the aroma of sweet tobacco.Ivory Coast This cacao has classic chocolate aroma with hints of coconut and dark spice. This can handle a little darker roast. Feel free to let it pop. It will bring a nice depth to your chocolate.Ghana This cacao has classic earthy chocolate and light vanilla aroma. There is also a hint of peach while roasting.Papua New Guinea This is an interesting bean. They are smoke dried and not sun dried. They taste a little like bacon and leather. Very interesting.
Tom
@tom
11/03/08 08:44:58PM
205 posts
Thanks that is great.Do you ship to Australia? If not would you consider it? How much for shipping?
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
11/04/08 03:41:56AM
116 posts
Hi Eric, Do you sell any certified organic beans that are considered raw? Do you sell any Criollo varieties?Hearts,Sacred Steve
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
11/04/08 08:25:44AM
38 posts
I can get some criollo beans raw. Most of them are fermented but if I know ahead of time that you want some raw, I can arrange that with the plantations I work with. Many of the beans I sell are organic but some of them have not done the paperwork as it is a long and drawn out process.
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
11/04/08 11:21:07AM
116 posts
Hi Eric, What is the origin of your criollo? Do you happen to know the paticular varietal? I actually need all fermenation levels from zero fermentation to about an 8 to 14 day ferment depending on the varietal. Unfortunately, my hands are tied regarding organic certification. Since we are certified, we need to stick with certified beans. Can you still provide?Hearts,Sacred Steve
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/04/08 11:39:05AM
1,680 posts
Steve:I read what you are saying but I don't understand it. The standard fermentation range for all cacao beans is about 3-7 days with Criollos being on the short end and Forasteros on the long end.Asking for 14-day fermentation for Criollos does not make any sense at all as they would be putrid. 14-days for Forastero/Trinitario? Ditto.Zero I can understand because if they are not fermented you can guarantee that they will be raw.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
11/04/08 11:54:37AM
38 posts
I am not aware of any at this time that have a fermentation of over 10 days. There are some criollo organic from Dominican and the Madagascar beans are not true criollo but their parent plants were criollo so they are an excellent choice. The others that are criollo are not organic certified yet. Panama is organic but not criollo.
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
11/04/08 12:04:37PM
38 posts
There are also some criollo organic from Mexico and Peru. Not in stock but I can get them.
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
11/04/08 12:37:39PM
116 posts
Ok, great. Thanks for the info. I need a really clean bean, since I use the husk in my chocolate. Do you have any really clean beans that look like almonds they are so clean? A 3 day ferment on the Criollos is fine and a 7 day ferment on the Foresteros is fine. I just have to taste them to make sure. Can you send any samples of a super clean bean that is certified organic? I will look at any varieties and fermentation levels you have.
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/05/08 05:37:11AM
116 posts
Hi Eric, Any updates on your stock?Sacred
Adriana Leal
@adriana-leal
01/25/09 07:59:35PM
1 posts
Hi Eric,I am a cocoa farmer in Bahia,Brasil.I would like to know who classified the cocoa flavour.Thks,Adriana Leal
kwasi sefa
@kwasi-sefa
02/20/09 01:48:06PM
2 posts
DEAR TOMI AM FROM GHANA WEST AFRICA AND I AM INTRESTED IN PROCESSING OF COCOA ON A LARGE SCALE BASIS AND I HAVE [POSTED ON THE FORUM LOOKING FOR INVESTORS .BY THE WAY I READ YOUR POST AND I WILL BE INTRESTED TO KNOW HOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SHOW ME THE TYPE OF EQUIPMENT ONE WILL NEED TO MAKE NON COMMERCIAL HOME CHOCOLATE AT HOME I WILL APPRECIATE ANY ASSISTANCE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE TO ME
Tom
@tom
02/22/09 10:02:56PM
205 posts
Check out www.chocolatealchemy.com it has all the info there on grinders etc.
Anthony
@anthony
02/24/09 05:58:28AM
1 posts
HiI am also interested in acquiring some of these beans, especially the organic raw beans as Steve has asked for. And I would also like to ask if you ship to South Africa? Many thanks.
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/24/09 12:15:21PM
1,680 posts
Adriana:Eric classified the flavors.:: Clay

--
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/24/09 12:17:42PM
1,680 posts
Anthony:It makes very little sense, economically or timewise, to get beans shipped here to the US and then ship them to South Africa. I think you're better off sourcing them from a grower in Africa.

--
Alison Holland
@alison-holland
03/29/09 05:02:48PM
3 posts
Any chance of shipping to New Zealand? Costs etc?
Paul Mosca
@paul-mosca
05/29/09 01:10:40PM
18 posts
I use a Ultra Pride +. I saw one on the Biong Biong Video for TCHO. It works well. I like it for its size. You can take to to demonstrations and let people dip into it for a sample of the chocolate liquor.One thing though, adding organic sugar causes a lot of sugar bloom. I'm not sure if the grinder is really that good at disbursing the moisture content in organic sugar. Something to pay attention too for sure.
Robert Stout
@robert-stout
12/29/09 05:48:53PM
3 posts
Eric,Is it possible to sample some of these? Is there somewhere on this site that we can purchase large amounts of beans? Or is that something that needs to be taken care of over the phone?Thanks,Robbie
Jim2
@jim2
12/29/09 06:52:40PM
49 posts
Robbie,I am a cacau farmer living in Brazil and export superior beans. When you speak of "large amounts" what does that mean? Sacks? Tons? Containers?You can contact me direct at cacaufarmer@yahoo.combest regardsJim Lucas
updated by @jim2: 09/08/15 06:42:40PM
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/30/09 05:50:07AM
116 posts
Hi Eric,I am still interested in purchasing cacao from you, if you have any interest?Steve
Paul Mosca
@paul-mosca
01/06/10 08:33:20PM
18 posts
I think I misunderstood the request. When you said Hi Eric, did you mean me Paul?
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
01/06/10 11:16:09PM
116 posts
I was actually replying to Eric's post. Sorry for any confusion!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores