Where can fermentation be seen in Western Costa Rica?

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
02/19/13 05:07:12AM
6 posts
The first two weeks of April I will be in Quepos (mid Pacific coast) Costa Rica and hope to visit a cacao fermentation operation. There appear to be many tourist demonstrations but I am seeking a more technical, "hands-on" exposure to commercial fermentation. Any introductions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
updated by @frank-shinneman: 04/12/15 09:24:14AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
02/19/13 05:21:14PM
754 posts

CATIE in cartago should be able to help you out. You'll likely have to do some level of driving to find it (it's unlikely they'll bring the fermentation to you).

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
02/19/13 05:26:33PM
6 posts

Thanks Sebastian. Any URL, email or company name info would be great.

Sebastian
@sebastian
02/19/13 06:46:35PM
754 posts

CATIE's the costa rican cocoa research institute. a web search will tell you everything you need to know

Renee Shuman2
@renee-shuman2
02/20/13 03:44:41PM
5 posts

Frank, consider visiting La Iguana Chocolate in Mastatal, Costa Rica. It is a 4 hour bus ride from Quepos. Also, if possible, you should try and get to Puerto Viejo on the East Coast to visit Carribeans. The owner, Paul, will be more than happy to show you his process. Just make sure you contact him before hand, as he mostly only does tours once or twice a week. Of course, Puerto Viejo is only a couple of hours away if you drive. By bus it took me 8-10 hours to get from Quepos to San Jose to Puerto Viejo.

Other than that, there is a not too much in the Quepos region for the chocolate interested. I was there in December and searched all over. Eventually I decided I had to travel to the Caribbean coast. You may get more information on where to view fermentation hands-on from Sibu Chocolate, or Samaritan Chocolate (very small operation; they don't ferment their beans themselves, but the owner is super friendly).

Contact Jorge Salazar for La Iguana Chocolate: http://www.laiguanachocolate.com

You can contact Paul at Carribeans through his company's website http://caribeanscr.com/chocolate.html

http://www.sibuchocolate.com & www.samaritanxocolata.com

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
02/20/13 04:17:01PM
6 posts
Thanks Renee,Very helpful detail ! I was in Puerto Viejo 2 years ago but before my interest in the chocolate life. It was a good 3 hours from San Jose due to the banana truck traffic over the mountains. Iguana appears to be only a couple hour drive from my location.Best,Frank
Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
03/01/13 04:10:29PM
58 posts

Hmm in the western Costa Rica I'm not sure. I suggest you look at the northern plains. We have our cacao farm there. ( http://www.chocolate-nahua.com or FB: Chocolate Nahua ) Let me know if I can help you with anything :)

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
03/01/13 04:23:31PM
6 posts

Thank you Daniela.

We fly into San Jose then drive to Dominical for a two week stay. On the way back we plan to see the volcanos atBajos de Toro Amarillo,Sarchi for a day or two. During the trip I would very much like to spend a day seeing some of the processing I have read so much about. If Nahua's cocoa fermentation/drying is anywhere near our route, I would appreciate your introduction.

Thanks again.

Juan Pablo Buchert
@juan-pablo-buchert
03/05/13 03:13:33PM
8 posts

Hello Frank, this is Juan, I work with Daniela at Nahua Cacao & Chocolate. Our farm is not located near the areas that you are going to visit. The farm is in "Bijagua de Upala", between the Tenorio and Miravalles Volcanoes. More or less 4 hours drive from San Jos or Dominical. Google Maps:10.74503,-85.000105

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
03/05/13 05:01:45PM
6 posts

Thank you Juan Pablo,

Sorry to see you are so far from our location, however, I'll save the location for our next visit to Costa Rica. It appears that La Iguana is the closest to our location.

Thank you for your response.

steve5
@steve5
03/11/13 02:10:11AM
5 posts

hello , I live in perez zeledon , I just bought a panning machine ,can I be of any help ,I am interested in fermemtation , as well , steve

Frank Shinneman
@frank-shinneman
03/11/13 05:24:32PM
6 posts

Steve,

Thanks for your comment.

I'm in the learning phase of bean-bar with hopes of getting my hands chocolaty in the near future. Fermentation seems to be one of the most uncontrolled process and so am trying to get first hand knowledge of at least one producers process. La Iguana seems to be the closest possibility so I'll schedule a visit sometime in the first half of April.

steve5
@steve5
03/11/13 11:48:51PM
5 posts
Home Chocolate Programs Overview Professional Chocolatier Program Chocolate Making from the Bean Program Quality Assurance & Keeping Limits Program Business Plan for Chocolatiers Program Master Chocolatier Programs Chocolate News About Our School Registration School Faculty Questions? Resources Contact Us
Which of the following cities deserves the title of FINE CHOCOLATE CAPITAL of the US?
Brooklyn
New York City
Portland
San Francisco
Seattle

"I gained a wealth of knowledge and a real insight into a hitherto, unknown world of chocolate.

The course gave real and direct access to all aspects of chocolate . . . I now feel armed with the information and the tools required to set about learning my craft and putting in place a plan of action."

Meave, Sept 11 Graduate

make chocolate from scratch

"I think the course made me realize how complicated it really is to make chocolate from the cacao bean.

The information that was laid out in the course was organized very well and gave very clear instructions on what you need and how to start up a chocolate business. It is complicated although not impossible. "

Daisy, Sept 10 Graduate

"Pam, thanks for pulling together a very thorough program.

The curriculum had everything that I wanted to know. It answered my questions and gave me more such as setting up business."

Catherine, April 10 Graduate

" All my expectations were met for the course.

It was very informative and illustrative. Excellent resources (books, links, videos, operational plans, etc), super interesting modules, perfect timing. A+ "

Arnold, Sept 09 Graduate

more testimonials

Chocolate Making From the Bean Program

The two-month, 100% online Chocolate Making from the Bean Program is about how to make your own chocolate from scratch from dried cocoa beans. The curriculum covers the entire chocolate making and manufacturing process from sourcing beans, cleaning, winnowing, roasting, refining, conching and tempering to produce bulk chocolate from which you create your final products.

Welcome to Our Chocolatier School

Have you always wanted to become a chocolatier or chocolate maker? Get started with Ecole Chocolat school for chocolate arts and making chocolate. Learn about our chocolate making courses . Learn how to manufacture chocolate, produce candy and confections, use chocolate molds and create professional chocolate recipes.

Learn Chocolate Making

Next Chocolate Course Professional Chocolatier Program March 22 - June 21, 2013 Chocolate Making From the Bean April 19 - June 21, 2013

Skills for Chocolatiers Our unique chocolate-making school leads you through the in-depth curriculum on chocolate making. Important topics include:
  • Chocolate history as a background to current production practices
  • Chocolate-making process and techniques
  • Taste and attributes of different chocolates
  • Gourmet chocolate recipes that you can tailor to your own vision
  • Learn techniques with chocolate molds
  • Chocolate-making supply companies
  • Chocolate-making equipment suppliers
  • Recipe development and production planning
How to Make Chocolate from Scratch Next CM Chocolate Course

April 19 - June 21, 2013

FINAL EXAM: June 21, 2013

Registration fee:

$455.00 US (U.S. or International Residents) or $484.37 CAD (Canadian Residentsincludes exchange

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores