Chocolate You Would Recommend?

Sera
@sera
02/01/08 11:46:47AM
39 posts
I'm going to be at my "local" gourmet store tomorrow and hope to be picking up some new chocolate there. I'm hoping to try something new, and I know they carry some of these brands:Michel CluizelHachez (I've had the Coco'Arriba before and wasn't too impressed)GuittardSantander (I've heard iffy things about this one)Cafe TasseNirvanaVivaniThere's also a brand that showed up there recently and I can't remember the name. It comes in a very long and thin package (think 2 inches wide by 11 inches tall) and is color coded. I remember eyeing the green tea flavor. I also recall it was from Europe. Any idea what brand this might be?If anyone has any recommendations on what I should pick up, or something else to look for, please speak up! :)Thanks in advance,~S
updated by @sera: 04/24/15 01:42:25PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/01/08 12:00:38PM
1,680 posts
I believe the bars you are describing are from Charlemagne in Belgium.This is a link to the product page with a picture. The green tea bar is the bottom one in the photo.For those of you who don't have a local store that carries Charlemagne, one on-line source that carries them is ChocolateSource.com . In the upper-left of the home page is a drop down selector labeled "Brand." Click on that, select Charlemagne from the list, and you'll see these bars there. I believe that Chocolate Source (which is also the company behind the Nirvana brand) is the importer.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 12:02:18PM
39 posts
Thank you so much Clay! That's them! :)
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 12:03:19PM
39 posts
I got a head of myself there, posting before I finished! Would you recommend them at all?
Sarah Gross
@sarah-gross
02/01/08 12:25:00PM
15 posts
Michel Cluizel--the higher percentages aren't as good as his 60s and 70sHachez -- stay away! doesn't live up to anythingSantander -- all of the dark ones I've tried have been surprisingly great (for the low price I normally see them at)Cafe Tasse---is very dry, not goodNirvana---haven't triedVivani---- Excellent! all! perfect deepness and texture, love the lemon especially
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/01/08 12:47:33PM
1,680 posts
I have only tasted one of them and it was at the Fancy Food Show last July after a long day of tasting other stuff. So, actually, I don't remember. Chances are the chocolate is not made by Charlemagne but sourced from Callebaut or Belcolade but it could be someone else. Charlemagne is adding the flavorings and they usually do a very good job. There is every good chance that the green tea bar is at least as good as the Dolfin green tea bar which is pretty darn good, IMO.

--
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 04:51:50PM
39 posts
Thanks Clay! I'll give them a shot. :)
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 04:52:34PM
39 posts
Sarah, thanks so much for your reply! Looks like I'll have to give Cluizel, Santander and Vivani a try.
Chocoflyer
@chocoflyer
02/01/08 07:24:50PM
71 posts
I also recommend the Chocolate Covered nibs by Taza & the Banana Choco Pods by Chuao. Delicious!
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 11:46:51PM
39 posts
Chocoflyer, I love, love, LOVE the Banana ChocPods too! I'm just enamored with that company, all of Chuao Chocolatier's stuff is so good!
Sarah Gross
@sarah-gross
02/02/08 07:12:49AM
15 posts
Everything from Chuao, especially the pods, are insanely amazing!
Sera
@sera
02/02/08 08:22:48PM
39 posts
Ok, here's what I purchased"Vivani: Dark Chocolate with Green Tea, Dark Chocolate with LemonCharlemagne: Plain (red wrapper), with Cinnamon (blue wrapper) and Green Tea (green wrapper)Michel Cluizel: Ier Cre de Planation of Sao Tome (bright blue wrapper) and the Madagascar (orange wrapper).Don Puglisi Rustic Drinking Chocolate BarI also saw some new things there that I've never heard of. I would have written it down but I didn't have a pen on me and my camera was home with its battery getting charged. Figures! *sigh*
Sarah Gross
@sarah-gross
02/02/08 08:31:28PM
15 posts
Sounds great! let us know how you find them :) I've never tried the cinnamon one, myself.
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/02/08 11:58:38PM
1,680 posts
Sera, please do let us know. There is a forum category for tasting notes and I would add them there and put a link from this thread to that tasting note.

--
Sera
@sera
02/06/08 11:31:48PM
39 posts
Here's the link to my tasting notes: Click here!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores