Guittard/callebaut/Valrhona ?

Amber B.
@amber-b
01/26/10 07:26:44PM
10 posts
I'm looking to get a good basic chocolate for enrobing (and using in ganaches). As my truffles tend to fall apart and not set up very firm (despite butter & invert sugar), I'm guessing I need a "thin" chocolate for enrobing.I'm looking for a "go-to" predictable, but great chocolate in dark, milk & white. I don't have the ability to taste all the varieties of each..so at this point I'm asking for your expertise.Guittard's best dark/milk/white for enrobing?Callebaut's best dark/milk/white for enrobing?Valrhona's best dark/milk/white for enrobing?And..which brand do you prefer the most?
updated by @amber-b: 04/10/15 09:48:36AM
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
01/30/10 11:17:30AM
63 posts
From your list for a beautiful chocolate that is consistant in its performance I pick Valrhona, hands down. Where do you buy your chocolate? You should be able to ask them for some recomendations, too and to give you some of the specs. A lot of chocolate has it right on the packaging what uses it is most suitable for.It is not on your list but El Rey's Icoa is my favorite white chocolate by a long shot, though I have never enrobed with it.
Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
01/31/10 01:30:59PM
16 posts
Hello Amber,As chocolatier, and only working with Valrhona I would be glad to give you some of the basics for ganaches to cut with guitar and enrobing.500 g cream 35%8 /10% invert sugar10/15% butter of the best qualitydark chocolate: 640 g Araguani 72% cacaomilk chocolate: 1000 g Jivara 40% cacaowhite chocolate: 1220 g Ivoire 35%This recepie is for one square 34x34 cm, 1 cm hightLots of succes...)Geert Vercruysse
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
02/02/10 07:11:16AM
10 posts
Thanks very much for this. I like your chocolates very much.I have a question here: if I want to make fruity flavour ganache, say raspberry puree, what is the percentage of everything else?What is the best chocolates to go with fruits? White or milk or dark?I only want to make realy fruits puree not artificial flavour. Often the fruit flavour gets overshadowed by the flavour of chocolate. What shall I do to make fuit flabour to stand out? If I put too much fruit puree the ganache get very wet and soft and can not handle.Is this the only solution by adding cocoa butter to make the ganache firm?Please help.RegardsXinhong
Amber B.
@amber-b
02/05/10 03:01:20PM
10 posts
thank you!
Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
02/08/10 12:29:35PM
16 posts
CHOCOLATE GANACHE WITH RASPBERRY PULP The principle is the same as for a classic ganache. The recipe proposed is made with raspberry pulp plus 10% sugar.*To obtain better texture and preservation, make sure when creating your recipes that you add 8-10% of inverted sugar and 10-15% of butter to the raspberrypulp/cream ingredients, or for Guanaja: 500g raspberry pulp, 700g GUANAJA (=70 % cacao), 90g inverted sugar, 165g butter. For ganaches made with milk chocolate 1000g(JIVARA LACTEE (=40% cacao), partially melt the chopped chocolate to help the emulsion to form. For ganaches made with Ivoire chocolate 1400g , melt all the chocolate at 35C.Lots of succes,Geert www.patisserievercruysse.be
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
02/08/10 12:46:33PM
10 posts
Thanks very much your insights on this. This would be very helpful for me.By the way can I use Sorbitol, also known as glucitol as the replacement of inverted sugar?My supplier only has Sorbitol.Thanks
Jonathan Edelson
@jonathan-edelson
02/09/10 08:55:43AM
29 posts
I am quite partial to the Callebaut line, in particular 60-40-38-NV for enrobing, though I usually mix it with something slightly sweeter such as their 811NV.On your ganache: are you giving it a chance to crystallize at room temperature before cooling it? I find that my ganache needs a good 8 hours at room temperature to get the correct texture.-Jon
Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
02/10/10 12:47:32PM
16 posts
Hello Xinhong Liu,Sorbitol can be used, but its like maltitol!D-sorbitol also D-glucitol (E420)Sorbitol is a sugar substitute. It may be listed under the inactive ingredients listed for some foods and products. Sorbitol is referred to as a nutritive sweetener because it provides dietary energy: 2.6 kilocalories (11 kilojoules) per gram versus the average 4 kilocalories (17 kilojoules) for carbohydrates. It often is used in diet foods (including diet drinks and ice cream), mints, cough syrups, and sugar-free chewing gum.Sorbitol Side EffectsSorbitol is a sweetener, used instead of sugar. It is important you know about sorbitol side effects before you make extensive use of it.As you can see, you have to be careful with the use of Sorbitol.Geert
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
02/10/10 03:05:58PM
10 posts
Thanks so much on this.I will get inverted sugar. I read about some airticles about making inverted sugar.I want to give a go.Best regards,Xinhong
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
03/08/10 04:30:34AM
10 posts
Hi Geert,I'm using callebaut at the moment but I want to switch to Valrhona soon.I have a problem with callebaut with enrobing. The shell is too thick and when it's too thick it tastes very hard. I want the coating as thin as possible so the the flavour of shell chocolates wont affect the ganache flavour.Do you have any ideas about h it?Do you think if i use Valrhona this problem would be solved?I have bought few boxes chocolates from 'La Maison du Chocolat' and the chocolate shell is very thin and soft. The chocolates tastes great. I have heard La Maison use Valrhona. Is that the trick?Thanks in advance.Xinhong
Brad Payton
@brad-payton
03/08/10 12:24:48PM
13 posts
What is the viscosity of the chocolate that you are using. You may need to switch to a chocolate with a lower viscosity. The more viscous the thicker the shell. I use a Valrohna with 4 drops on a 5 drop tear system and helps keep the shell thin.
Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
03/10/10 03:45:23PM
16 posts
Satilia Noire:Specifically designed for coating62% min cocoa37% sugar38% fatAttacks with a bitter profile, then subtle aromas of sweet almond give way to long roasted, chocolaty notes.Equatoriale NoireSpecifically designed for coating55% min cocoa43,5% sugar37% fatEquatoriale Noire 55% is renowned for its balanced taste and its ease of use.Equatoriale LacteSpecifically designed for coating35% min cocoa44% sugar20% milk37% fatEquatoriale Lacte 35% is the chocolate of excellence both for the smoothness of its taste and for its colour.Satilia LacteSpecifically designed for coating32% min cocoa43% sugar23% milk35% fatChocolate dominant, slightly sweet and a little biscuit.These are Valrhonas four chocolates used for enrobing, I work now with the Satilia and they are fine!GreetingsGeert
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
03/10/10 04:20:42PM
10 posts
Hi Geert,You can not be more helpful! This is what I asked for. I cannot thank you enough for this.I will have to copy your notes down and put it in my notebook and more importantly start practising with your tips.Good night.
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
03/10/10 04:30:33PM
10 posts
Hi Geert,I just want to add another question. Do I use these for ganache?Or what are the names you can give are most suitble for ganache? Do you use different chocolates for cream ganache or other flavour ganache like fruits?Thanks in advance.Xinhong
Vercruysse Geert
@vercruysse-geert
03/15/10 08:19:03AM
16 posts
These are the chocolates (only Valrhona here) I use for pastry and ganache:1/Blend of Grands Crus:D a r k C h o c o l a t eAbinao 85%Guanaja 70%Andoa Noire 70%Ashanti 67%Carabe 66%Extra Bitter 61%Caraque 56%M i l k C h o c o l a t eGuanaja Lacte 41%Jivara Lacte 40%Bitter Lacte 39%Orizaba Lacte 39%Andoa Lacte 39%2/Pure Origin Grands Crus:Araguani 72% "Pure Venezuela"Nyangbo 68% "Pur Ghana"Alpaco 66% "Pure Ecuador"Manjari 64% "Pure Madagascar"Tanori 64% "Pure Dominican RepublicMaca 62% "Pure Brasil"3/Estate Grown Chocolate:Palmira 68%Gran Couva 68%Some couverture matches better than other for ganache with fruits, it depends there characteristics.100% greetingsGeert

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores