Chocolate Panning, process and equipment

Bob Aman
@bob-aman
03/05/10 11:59:48AM
3 posts
Greetings,
I'm investigating the art/science of chocolate panning for nuts, primarily hazelnuts and almonds. This would be for a small side business to our hazelnut farm here in Oregon. I'm looking at providing raw, roasted and chocolate coated nuts to start with. Raw and roasted I have under control, but chocolate panning and equipment is new except for what I've been reading. Still, looking at batch sizes of say 10 to 20 pounds of nuts, what type/brand of coating pan might be a good start? The Selmi certainly looks like a great tool but really high end and costly. Is there any good source for used equipment?

Regarding the process, what is the best approach for classes, training or literature? What are some of the best bulk chocolates to purchase, both milk and dark?

Thanks,
Bob

updated by @bob-aman: 04/10/15 12:17:38PM
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
03/05/10 08:25:51PM
101 posts
The PMCA offers a nice panning course, covers hard, soft, and chocolate panning. Think too of a pan you can also hot pan with. Similar pan but with gas burner under to caramelize sugar around the nuts. Add a variety of seasonings and you can offer a nice seasonal variety. But then you can also season the chocolate. For chocolate, think of a cool/dry air source. Portable coolers work nice but overall warm the room so not good for continuous use. Just blowing ambient air will work if cool/dry enough, but you lose some control, especially if you're looking to add color for marbling or speckling.Good luck with whatever you choose.
Kerry
@kerry
03/06/10 11:27:25PM
288 posts
I second the PMCA/NCA panning course. It was an excellent course.You've got to love the Selmi - a little dear in price - but it heats and cools which allows you to polish the product without any additional polishing products being added.E-bay often has pans - I bought a Stokes pan several years ago. I noticed a group of 3 small pans that closed yesterday for about $2100.There are a couple of companies that sell used equipment - Union Machinary being one that comes to mind.The chocolate is probably one of those things you are going to have to experiment with to decide what you like with your product. I've been happy lately with the Belgian Belcolade milk and dark.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Bob Aman
@bob-aman
03/07/10 09:03:57PM
3 posts
Thanks for the great replies. The coarse seems to be a great way to get started. I do like the idea of a headed pan for other flavorings. However, I might look at one of the off the shelf nut roasters which are propane fired. This way I can run the chocolate in one room where the ambient can be better controlled and do the roasting and flavoring in another room where the heat isn't as much of a problem.I did actually bid on the 3 pans that were on eBay but I had to be away from my computer when the bidding closed and I got outbid in the end. Would this type of pan work for chocolate? One had ridges and the other two were smooth inside. Might like to know if another deal like this come up.Also, is there a need to coat the chocolate after it has been panned? Is this a standard process or only used with certain types of chocolates?Thanks again for the suggestions.Bob
Kerry
@kerry
03/07/10 10:02:14PM
288 posts
Yup, those pans would have worked fine. You use the smooth pan for the coating, then one of the ridged pans for polishing. Of course you can tape tubing inside your smooth pan, to make it ridged for polishing.By 'coat the chocolate after panning' I assume you are asking if you need products such as polish and sealers? The whole process can be accomplished without these things.

--
www.eztemper.com

Bob Aman
@bob-aman
03/08/10 12:05:26PM
3 posts
Kerry,Thanks for the reply and yes, that answered my questions. I also took a look at the Union Machinery web site for used equipment. Lots of items to choose from. What might be a good size to start with for batch sizes of 15 - 20 pounds?
Kerry
@kerry
03/10/10 11:04:02PM
288 posts
Something around 20 inches is all I have experience with. You don't want to overfill the pan initially, because as you add the chocolate the amount of product 'grows'. It doesn't take too long to coat a batch, then it sits overnight anyway before polishing the next day.

--
www.eztemper.com

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
01/14/11 09:11:15AM
157 posts
Hey Bob, how'd your education, equipment procurement, and first steps go? We're looking into panning but probably not on the scale you are.
Glenn Knowles
@glenn-knowles
01/17/11 03:55:49PM
19 posts
Do you have any recommended suppliers for the coatings (glaze, food shellac, etc.)?
Sebastian
@sebastian
01/17/11 05:06:15PM
754 posts
Centerchem is a great resource. Dave Jordan's your go-to guy with them.
Glenn Knowles
@glenn-knowles
01/17/11 08:44:06PM
19 posts
Thank you very much. I'll give Dave a call.
Benoit N
@benoit
01/20/11 01:05:44PM
14 posts

Hello

I have just started experiments on my new coating pan. Is there anyone out there that could help me?

I put my hazelnuts into the pan, then pour the tempered chocolate...all began to mix...and a few minutes later, everything began to stick...and I got, a big "ball' of choco-hazelnuts"...horrifying...what is the problem do you think? How to avoid that? Is it a matter of spinning speed? of amount of material in the pan?

Thank you

Benoit

Kerry
@kerry
01/20/11 04:35:09PM
288 posts
You need to add the chocolate slowly (and not tempered). The product (ie hazelnuts) need to be cooled in some way while you add the layers of chocolate. So either some dry ice, or an air conditioner blowing cold air into the pan.

--
www.eztemper.com

Benoit N
@benoit
01/20/11 05:19:25PM
14 posts

Dear Kerry,

Thank you so much for your advise. I will try that tomorrow and will keep you up to date.

Benoit

PS: have you got some advises to get the shine on the product without chemical stuff?

Kerry
@kerry
01/20/11 07:44:40PM
288 posts
To get the shine without chemicals - you need to let the product sit overnight then put back in the pan - 48 C air is blown in with pan rotating. You are listening for quiet - once it gets quiet you pick a piece up and see if it is squishable (ie the chocolate becomes plastic). Once you reach this point you start adding cold air again (13-15 C) for about an hour until the product shines.

--
www.eztemper.com

Andal Balu
@andal-balu
01/20/11 11:23:24PM
16 posts

We at cocoatown.com are working on a panning attachment for the small melangers to be used by scale chocolatiers. We are testing the attachment and will send you more information soon.

Kerry
@kerry
01/21/11 07:24:36AM
288 posts
Andal - that's exciting news. Will it have heating and cooling air or just turn?

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
01/21/11 07:25:54AM
288 posts
You can ridge your pan by taping plastic tubing in it.

--
www.eztemper.com

Hilal ÇAKMAK
@hilal-akmak
02/24/11 03:50:09AM
1 posts

Hello,

we are producer hazelnut and chocolate process equipment.

The Laboratory Type Pres Using For Obtaining Hazelnut Oil.

Hazelnut/cocoa bean cutting unit

http://innovas.com.tr/english/urunler/giyotin/Cutting_Unit.pdf

chocolate cooling system

Scraped surface heat exchanger

http://innovas.com.tr/english/index.htm

The Laboratory Type Chopping Machine For Agricultural Producs Nuts Etc

Hzelnut cutting andchopping units with sieving

etc...

http://innovas.com.tr

info@innovas.com.tr

thanks in advance

Hilal akmak

sales engineer

Dana Rebarchick
@dana-rebarchick
03/11/11 09:17:59AM
1 posts
I am fairly new at this and trying to figure the process out. When you say plastic tubing can you please tell me a little more about what this means? I assume it is something I can get at a hardware store?
updated by @dana-rebarchick: 01/22/15 03:07:45PM
Kerry
@kerry
03/11/11 12:28:18PM
288 posts
It would be the plastic tubing that you might get at a make your own wine place - used for decanting the wine into bottles. You want something considered food grade.

--
www.eztemper.com

updated by @kerry: 09/08/15 08:03:11AM
Mike3
@mike3
11/26/12 10:34:01AM
63 posts

Wondering if you can offer some advice---I just started playing around with panning, and I am not able to get the coated centers (coffee beans, in my case) to polish. I'm using the kitchen aid attachment, and each half has two metal ribs welded in---do i need to add more for polishing or is that what those are for? I'm also trying to avoid any coatings for polishing, which i understand is possible, though I don't believe it yet :)

steve5
@steve5
03/10/13 11:24:44PM
5 posts

hola , I am looking some info were to buy ,products for panning ,,,, like what the name of the product , and puts on the shine ,any info would be great , thanks steve

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores