Air bubbles!

Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/15/10 12:02:43PM
23 posts
Hello!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the least amount of air bubbles possible when doing molded (polycarbonate) molding?

Right now, we do our airbrushing, let that sit for awhile (30-60 minutes, sometimes longer) and fill the molds. We definitely have better luck on molds that are flatter on the inside, if that makes sense but the ones that have a design in them seem to give us some problems.

I'm wondering if we might be able to do things like thin out the chocolate with cocoa butter (prior to tempering), or maybe even use a paint brush very lightly to 'push' the chocolate into the corners. It's not all corners.

Also - does anyone make just shells ahead of time? You know like make shells, and just store them in something like a humidity controlled, cooled unit until maybe the next day for filling and capping?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Brian

updated by @lindsay-truffler: 04/12/15 07:26:27AM
David Lubertozzi
@david-lubertozzi
07/15/10 01:08:52PM
2 posts
One way to get air bubbles out of a molded substance is by putting the filled mold in a vacuum chamber while the substance is still molten and pulling a vacuum on it. Haven't tried it myself with chocolate though...The big companies make a huge variety of premade shells, and they are sold by the zillions to pastry chefs and restaurants worldwide for later filling. Here's 101 from Uster: http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/1-VESL.html
Shane Essary
@shane-essary
07/15/10 01:23:07PM
3 posts
I feel your pain. I hand paintbrush each mold (several coats each) to avoid it, but it's extremely time consuming. You can build a shaker/vibrating table that may help, as well. At school, we'd rap the mold against the table a few times to try and dislodge bubbles. I personally prefer the time consuming method as it allows me to really control the thickness of the walls, but that's just me and I'd certainly change my method if I were working on a commercial scale.
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/15/10 01:37:06PM
23 posts
Hi David - Thanks for replying.We do use pre-made shells for our caramels but the truffles we prefer to use molded shells. Interesting concept about the vacuum though. Thanks for the link too!Brian
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/15/10 01:38:49PM
23 posts
Hi Shane,We do use a vibrating table as well as the good ol' fashioned bang-em-on-the-table method but still have a few issues. Maybe I'm looking for something that's really hard to get at the artisan level and that's 0 air bubbles! :)Brian
Shane Essary
@shane-essary
07/15/10 01:56:14PM
3 posts
It's "rustic"! :)
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/15/10 01:59:34PM
23 posts
hahah...Nice...we're totally going to have a rustic collection too!
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
07/15/10 04:15:08PM
92 posts
I haven't found a 100% method of getting rid of air bubbles. It is always the molds with the most detail that give me an issues. I hit them on the table as other people here have already described and sometimes use a vibrating table as well. Depending on how many molds you are filling you can buy a cheapo dental vibrating table on Ebay and see if it works for you. I fill my molds by hand and have started to move the mold back and forth as I am filling it - not exactly shaking it but the chocolate is in its most liquid state and I think this has helped move the choclate into the trouble spots while pushing the air out. There are always one or two pieces that still have an air bubble. I have also given up on a few molds that never seem to work (like the slanted cone shape - nothing has ever worked to get chocolate at the point of the cone...)I have stored molds that have chocolate in them in a cool, dry place until I am ready to fill them and cap them and have not had any problems. Certainly until the next day shouldn't be an issue. I think a lot of people (like me) will fill a bunch of molds one day, making fillings and fill the next day and cap the day after that. This is especially true for me if I am making a big variety of flavors at once.Andrea
Kerry
@kerry
07/15/10 04:27:20PM
288 posts
Use a small skewer into each cone to get the bubbles out of the tip.Shells made ahead have never been a problem - and usually come out shinier for the delay.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/15/10 04:49:01PM
23 posts
Thanks Andrea and Kerry -Yeah that's the issue mainly - with shells that have higher detail.Back at it tonight to do some work!Brian
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
07/15/10 06:06:27PM
194 posts
Check the viscosity of your chocolate. You should be using a fairly thin one on detailed molds.
verhagen
@verhagen
07/16/10 07:39:35AM
4 posts
Dear Brian,If you don't have a machine for this than use a small rubber hammer it sound strange but it's all about the vibrations.Or vibrated it on a table. Look at www.callebaut.com / callebaut tv a perfect site.Kind RegardsWim Verhagen
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/16/10 09:35:28AM
23 posts
Thanks Ruth, definitely will be checking that tonight and making some adjustments.Brian
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/16/10 09:36:23AM
23 posts
Thanks Wim - we do actually have a vibrating table - will also try the rubber hammer! I'm up for trying anything that will work!Brian
verhagen
@verhagen
07/16/10 10:17:24AM
4 posts
100% sure it will work , I have learned this in Belgium, let me know if it helps .Just finished a 2 year schooling in Belgium to become a chocolatier.look at the internetsite : www.callebaut.com (very interesting).Wim
Brad Payton
@brad-payton
07/19/10 06:30:04PM
13 posts
For the higher detail mold I always heat my molds to the working temp of the chocolate. That way the chocolate is not cooling right when it hits the mold. It gives the vibrating table a better chance of getting the bubbles out.
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
07/19/10 08:33:08PM
23 posts
Great advice -thanks Brad!
Jennifer Thamer
@jennifer-thamer
08/14/10 12:07:48PM
15 posts
I've found that some molds are more prone to bubbles (like the ones with sharp right angles or points), especially if your using Belgian chocolate that is less viscous and produces a "medium" shell. With the real problem molds, the only technique that's worked for me is to paint a very thin layer into the mold and then mold. Even when I hold the mold on the vibrator for a long time, if it's a thicker chocolate, I'll still have trapped bubbles.
verhagen
@verhagen
09/02/10 06:55:31AM
4 posts
Jennifer,Belgium Chocolate should not gives you problems, pay attention to the numbers of **** on the product, the best Belgium chocolate for moulds is chocolate with 4 ****For sharp right angels or points use a toothpick or cocktail stick before shaking/ vibrating.
Lindsay Truffler
@lindsay-truffler
09/02/10 08:00:17AM
23 posts
Thanks Jennifer - appreciate your input. We've gotten things all in order since I started this post and things are running smoothly!Brian
Julie Bolejack
@julie-bolejack
09/03/10 09:52:49AM
8 posts
Do you vibrate the molds after spraying them?
updated by @julie-bolejack: 06/28/15 08:33:45AM
Julie Bolejack
@julie-bolejack
09/03/10 09:54:59AM
8 posts
Never mind, for some reason the response thread did not appear when I first responded...so, it seems you are getting some great advice.
Julie Bolejack
@julie-bolejack
09/03/10 09:55:23AM
8 posts
What are you using to heat the molds - control the temp.
Jennifer Thamer
@jennifer-thamer
09/03/10 12:45:38PM
15 posts
That's great! I just reread my post though and wanted to correct my typo -- of course the more viscous chocolate produces a medium (rather than thin) shell. Verhagen is right on with the star designation. So I've had experience with the 811NV Callebaut Dark. It has three drops (or stars) for liquidity. For me it produced a thicker shell than say, Valrhona's Equatoriale Noir, after it was tempered. Good luck with your chocolate adventures!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores