dipping machines...

Anthony Lange
@anthony-lange
09/24/10 11:41:11AM
34 posts
Just a really stupid question.... Im contemplating buying a Hilliard Little Dipper but I dont want to do dipping, I want to do bars. Besides holding the bowl over the mold, and tipping, what would be the best solution?
updated by @anthony-lange: 04/17/15 07:50:18PM
deborah2
@deborah2
09/24/10 01:28:01PM
25 posts
A ladle. You may have to dip a few times to get the mold filled completely, but it will be less messy and easier than pouring from the bowl.
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
09/24/10 02:08:24PM
158 posts
I use 100cc syringes when making bars from my smaller tempering machines. Works a treat, plus dosage can be controlled very accurately. Additionally, they are very cheap! With practice, I can mold almost as quickly as my Savage dosing pump can.
Anthony Lange
@anthony-lange
09/24/10 03:33:02PM
34 posts
Hi Cheebs Please tell me about your Savage dosing pump. What does it do/cost. Tony
Anthony Lange
@anthony-lange
09/24/10 03:35:21PM
34 posts
Deborah, I didnt want a drip situation and I can see with a ladle, thats exactly whays going to happen. (with me at least)... So I need other alternatives.... Is that what you use?
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
09/24/10 09:03:48PM
194 posts
I like to use disposable pastry bags. I fill them up and can estimate pretty close how much chocolate I need. The bonus part is when I am finished, I squeeze out the excess and let the remainder harden in the bag. When I want to use, I scrunch the bag and the loose, hard chocolate falls out (I remelt it) and I can reuse the bag. (I put a binder clip on the hole). I have 3 Savage tempering melters that have a guillotine opening, but I can't control the flow like I can with a pastry bag. I would think you could temper in the microwave faster than the Little Dipper. It doesn't hold that much chocolate.
Kerry
@kerry
09/24/10 10:12:07PM
288 posts
Always best I find if you are able to hold your bowels over the molds!

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
deborah2
@deborah2
09/24/10 11:54:16PM
25 posts
Kerry,I have been surreptitiously reading your posts on here and a couple other forums for about a year now and I have to say that one made me wish I didn't have liquid in my mouth at the time!
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
09/25/10 12:57:02PM
158 posts
Anthony,The Savage pump costs around $4k new. It fits on the Savage 50lb tempering melte r and uses compressed air to move a piston that can be set to the desired dose. You can control it with a pedal or it can be set to work on a timed basis.IIRC the last quote I got from Savage for the tempering machine/dosing pump combo was $9.2k. I bought mine used from a shop that had closed for considerable savings. Look in the Classifieds section at the Retail Confectioners' Association website for possible leads on used gear. I bought a lot of my shop's equipment that way.
Anthony Lange
@anthony-lange
09/26/10 12:43:47PM
34 posts
Dear Cheebs..... Thanks for the informative answer. Much appreciated. The link to RCA is a new one and very useful. Thanks. Living in South Africa is like living in a hole! Nothing. I just wish we had so much equipment floating around... anyway. Thanks again. T
Dave Elliott
@dave-elliott
11/20/10 01:29:07AM
17 posts
I've seen easy pour funnels mentioned and am about to pick up a couple, but Ruth's pastry bag solution seems like a better solution. Tony, I can confirm your intuition that ladles are a source of constant frustration and waste.
Carol
@carol
11/24/10 06:06:00AM
24 posts
Ruth,I love this idea and will use it. The thing I am wondering about is - how to get the shells filled and then drain them quickly enough to get a nice thin shell. The first time I tried this method, I had to really bang out the excess chocolate and the shells turned out uneven. Any advice?
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
11/24/10 07:12:05AM
194 posts
Tony, I can confirm your intuition that ladles are a source of constant frustration and waste.Got to get glasses--read this as ladies:-)
Tom
@tom
11/24/10 08:35:33PM
205 posts
I don't use a ladle per se but a large flat kitchen spoon that scoops about 75g at a time (the size of the mould I wish to fill so I don't have to double dip), just scrape the bottom of the spoon on the side of the bowl and pour into the mould which sits on an electronic balance. It is very accurate and no drips I promise.This is more accurate than some dosing machines choc companies use, I quite often weigh a bar before I eat it and you would be surprised at the variation you find in their weights.
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
11/27/10 04:49:27PM
78 posts
You could always buy a Mol'd'art or other brand 10kg melter. Holds more chocolate, easier to dump back into, and cheaper than a Hilliard's Little Dipper. I own both. Use the ladle to fill or the syringe or pastry bag method. You can always quickly melt and add more to the holder using the microwave. Much better solution IMHO.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores