leaking caramels

Virginia Sybert
@virginia-sybert
03/03/12 09:18:54PM
5 posts

I have been having consistent difficulty with coating caramels with chocolate- using tempered Guittard Prestige. They spring little leaks. This happens even if I double dip them. They can look perfect and if I turn my head for a second-pop!- there's a little caramel poking its head out. I've tried dipping at room temp and slightly chilled and no difference. Caramels have nuts and coconut in them. Any clues? remedies?

updated by @virginia-sybert: 04/09/15 02:19:53PM
Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
03/05/12 10:46:09AM
86 posts

hey virginia,

How hard is the consistency of your caramel? the harder it is the lesschances for it to pop.

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/06/12 04:11:45PM
527 posts

If your coatings are too thin, they will most likely break as the chocolate crystalizes around the soft caramel. Quite often soft caramel requires double coatings because of cracking.

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
03/07/12 03:45:59PM
157 posts

Our soft caramels are bizarre. If you chill them when they return to room temp they melt. If we do not chill them they hold form. If we chill the they will pop leaks or find a way out even on a thick coat, again unchilled this behavior is very minimized.

Strange right? YMMV but try some different handling.

Virginia Sybert
@virginia-sybert
03/07/12 04:06:51PM
5 posts

Maybe that's it. I'll also try to see if it makes any difference if I use stove top caramels vs microwave.

The latter are hard to cut if you don't chill them first. Thanks for your help

Virginia Sybert
@virginia-sybert
03/07/12 04:07:20PM
5 posts

Thanks, with these batches even double coating doesn't seem to stop the leakage.

Virginia Sybert
@virginia-sybert
03/07/12 04:08:34PM
5 posts

I'll try with firmer caramel but the current consistency is pretty nice feel in the mouth contrasted with the chocolate snap. It's slightly soft but not runny.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores