Chocolate tours in several cities

Gary Shieh
@gary-shieh
03/01/10 06:32:39PM
7 posts
I am on an assignment and will travel to Ann Arbor, New York, Boston/Cambridge, San Francisco, Portland. I am soliciting advices on chocolate/dessert spots to visit. Thanks a lot.
updated by @gary-shieh: 04/10/15 09:52:43PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/01/10 08:42:55PM
1,680 posts
What media outlet are you on assignment for?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Brendan
@brendan
03/02/10 07:34:46AM
21 posts
Boston's chocolate scene has fallen off in recent years, but Aroa isn't bad. They're backed by El Rey and use their chocolate exclusively. Taza in Somerville makes "stone ground" chocolate bean-to-bar; they're worth visiting if you're not familiar with their product.
Valerie
@valerie
03/02/10 08:15:47PM
29 posts
These are in addition to Brendan's suggestions. Taste of Chocolate is a new company on the Boston chocolate scene, they do chocolate tours in Boston's Back Bay, Beacon Hill and South End (a Cambridge tour will be coming soon). They also do chocolate truffle making workshops, which I developed and lead about twice per month (it's offered every Saturday and there is an alternate teacher when I'm not there), either are a fun way to spend a weekend. Contact me if you want more information on them. Other places worth a visit - Hotel Chocolat in Boston's Back Bay has very informative tastings in their tasting room at the back of their store on Newbury Street, Max Brenner is opening up a shop in Boston (Back Bay, Boylston Street) this winter and LA Burdick is a must stop for their hot chocolate and their handmade chocolates. LA Burdick is in Cambridge. Depending on when you'll be in Boston there is also the Chocolate Buffet at Langham Hotel in downtown Boston, it runs September until June.
Andrea Nadel
@andrea-nadel
03/04/10 12:56:12PM
3 posts
Hi Gary,I lead Chocolate Tours in San Francisco and would be happy to talk to you about the best chocolate spots to visit. My company is Gourmet Walks and our tours include tastings at 7 different downtown spots. Feel free to email me at anadel@gourmetwalks.com and we can discuss further. There are many to choose from!thanks,Andrea
Mark J Sciscenti
@mark-j-sciscenti
03/07/10 12:38:05PM
33 posts
In Portland OR, go to Alma Chocolates. Sarah Hart is the owner. She can be contacted via this website or hers.
Gary Shieh
@gary-shieh
03/17/10 11:13:00PM
7 posts
Hi,I am in Boston now. Thanks for the suggestions. If there is a chance I hope to talk to you personally. I have sent you friend request. Maybe we can chat a bit more. Thanks.
Scott
@scott
03/18/10 03:10:01PM
44 posts
Some Portland chocolate highlights --- Chocosphere (the dominant mail order lifeline for serious consumers nationwide).- Cacao (for quality of the selection and knowledge level of the staff, the best chocolate retailer I've seen).- Sahagun Handmade Chocolates (Elizabeth Montes, chocolatier).- Alma Chocolate (Sarah Hart, chocolatier).- Xocolatl de David (David Briggs, chocolatier; see his site for where his products are available; worth calling ahead to ensure a good selection).
Valerie
@valerie
03/18/10 08:50:41PM
29 posts
I'd be happy to speak with you. You can reach me at vconyngham@gmail.com.
Danielle
@danielle
03/31/10 11:56:48PM
11 posts
Hi Gary-I have created my own chocolate tours of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago....depending upon how long you have and whether you are renting a car, I can definately suggest some locations for you to visit. Email me if you would like and I can help you with San Francisco (I made it to 7 stores in 4 hours walking and taking the bus). I can also suggest other confectionery stops as well if you are seeking them.
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/01/10 10:42:01AM
1,680 posts
Danielle:The whole idea of a discussion like this is that this information is public and shared. So I wouldappreciate your sharing it and not asking people to e-mail/message you and keep it private.:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Danielle
@danielle
04/01/10 03:31:56PM
11 posts
Sure Clay, sorry...kind of an extensive list.San Francisco:Cocoa BellaRecchiuttiScharffenberger/Joseph Schmidt (Pier 1)Tcho (Pier 17...walked by...wasn't open)Candy Shop on Pier 39 near the back - can't remember the name...mainly imported candy, but had homemade candy apples)GhiradelliChristopher ElbowFog City NewsChicago and LA - I will have to post later. I need to refer to my tour book.Danielle
Denise Fontaine Kelce
@denise-fontaine-kelce
04/09/10 04:02:50PM
1 posts
Hi Clay,I know you said Portland ,but Seattle isn't that far...I am a Chocolatier with Dove Chocolate Discoveries (TM) in the Seattle area which is great chocolate ,but there are some amazing chocolate makers here that are worth the trip like...Seattle ChocolatesRocky Mountain Chocolate FactoryOh ChocolateTheo Chocolate IncFran's ChocolatesChocolati Cafe WallingfordChocolopolisDilettante ChocolateWe also have the International Chocolate Salon on July,11th 2010 where you could meet and eat from them all.Denise
Jamie Blache
@jamie-blache
04/13/10 04:52:49PM
2 posts
Love, love, love Recchiutti! I met Michael at one of the NY Chocolate Shows and he was so nice and down to earth too.
Jamie Blache
@jamie-blache
04/13/10 05:00:10PM
2 posts
If you make it to Ann Arbor, you must make a stop to Zingerman's Deli. They have a great Chocolate Lady, Duff, who can show you their outstanding retail department. They don't make their own candy but do make their own gelato and baked goods. I don't remember the company's name, but Duff carries a "truffle of the month" from a local candy maker. Ask her for the details and she can lead you to all the local foodie sights worth seeing.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores