Chocolate without Soy Products

Danielle
@danielle
05/07/10 12:19:00AM
11 posts

I am seeking a chocolate with no soy products added (including soy lecithin). Can anyone recommend a maker? Can be either dark or milk. I know someone who is allergic to soy and would like to make some truffles for him. Thanks.

updated by @danielle: 04/10/15 12:59:16AM
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
05/07/10 08:26:52AM
101 posts
There are makers who use PGPR (polyglycerol polyricinoleate) instead of lecithin. Usually from castor beans.
Kerry
@kerry
05/07/10 08:34:06AM
288 posts
Pretty sure that Patric chocolate products don't contain soy lecithin.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Clay Gordon
@clay
05/07/10 09:16:35AM
1,680 posts
Michel Cluizel reformulated their chocolates years ago - 2002? - to remove the lecithin. Not just because of allergies but because of concerns in the EU over GMO foods. A great deal of soy is grown from GMO seeds and there are few sources of lecithin from soy grown from seeds that are not GMO.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
05/07/10 05:23:10PM
527 posts
I don't believe that Art Pollard at Amano Chocolate uses Lecithin, and his chocolate is fabulous. www.Amanochocolate.com Hope this helps.
Kerry
@kerry
05/07/10 05:27:07PM
288 posts
Was checking that - assumed the same, but I see there is some lecithin in some of Art's bars.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
05/07/10 07:16:25PM
158 posts
As far as I know, De Vries is also lecithin-free. Personally I make a 70% that's just cacao and sugar, but it's processed in the same machinery as chocolate containing lecithin.
Matt Caputo
@matt-caputo
05/09/10 09:40:08PM
53 posts
Patric, Amano, Domori and Amedei all are delicious choices with no lecithin.
Molly Drexelius
@molly-drexelius
05/10/10 02:13:35PM
16 posts
My site lists the ingredients for all the chocolate bars and chocolate goodies.You'll be able to find out right away if soy is included. www.drexeliuschocolates.com
Christopher Taylor
@christopher-taylor
05/14/10 05:17:17PM
6 posts
I agree with Mark Heim - most manufacturers will make chocolate with PGPR (polyglycerol poly ricinoleate). However, a chocolate does not have to include lecithin - it is added to a chocolate to reduce the amount of cocoa butter used - a cost saving. There is a synthetic lecithin used by some companies, generally referred to by its Cadbury code-name 'YN'.If your customer is seriously allergic to soy products, make sure the company that manufactures chocolate with PGPR does not make chocolate with soy lecithin on the same equipment as there could be a risk of cross contamination.RegardsChris Taylor
Bruce Toy (Coppeneur)
@bruce-toy-coppeneur
05/16/10 02:36:44AM
15 posts
Hi Danielle,Coppeneur Chocolate produces dark and milk couverture without soy lecithin sourced from an organic plantation in Ecuador that grows Nacional Arriba beans.You can order it on-line at coppeneurchocolate.comAll Coppeneur single-origin bars are made without soy-lecithin.
Sebastian
@sebastian
05/18/10 05:49:50PM
754 posts
From a purely technical perspective, commercial grade soy lecithin is so processed that it's devoid of soy protein, which is the component your friend would be allergic to. Sort of akin to eating french fries cooked in soy oil - there's no real risk of soy protein in RBO (refined, bleached oil). Lecithin is a highly purified extract, essentially, that is most commonly derived from soybeans. The extraction and purification process it goes through eliminates the allergen concern.However, I do understand the concern and can relate to wanting to stay as far away from anything with the word soy in it, if you've got that allergy 8-)
Clay Gordon
@clay
05/21/10 01:31:09PM
1,680 posts
Greg:I've been following the company and Alexander Black, its founder, for many years now and will likely seem in at the Fancy Food Show in a couple of weeks. I don't see how any of the company's products are a fit for what Danielle is looking for. FF does not make or sell chocolate - just fudges and sauces.What Danielle is looking for (I interpret from her post) is couverture chocolate without soy that can be used to create ganaches and to enrobe.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Denise Brennan
@denise-brennan
05/24/10 11:44:08AM
5 posts
Hi, Danielle - I am a coffee roaster and chocolate maker in Washington State. I roast cacao beans and make chocolate bean-to-bar. I never put soy lecithin in my products. Origins available are Ecuador, Madagascar, and Tanzania. Let me know if you'd like more info!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores