That One Bar of Chocolate

Clay Gordon
@clay
11/09/12 11:02:48AM
1,680 posts

You can have only one bar of chocolate. The circumstances don't matter (zombie apocalypse, climate change devastates cacao around the world, you're stranded on a desert island, etc), you can only choose one.

Which one is it?

After my recent trip to Europe, I'd pick the IL100% Criollo from Domori. Why? It delivers pure chocolate intensity with no punches pulled.

Yours?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

updated by @clay: 04/15/15 09:19:04PM
dsfg
@lane-wigley
11/09/12 05:19:52PM
31 posts

Used to be Amedei Chuao, now Pralus Chuao

Ning-Geng Ong
@ning-geng-ong
11/09/12 07:11:25PM
36 posts

Thanks for sharing, Clay. If that's a 100% cocoa content bar, does it feel slightly clayish at the back of the tongue?

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
11/09/12 07:12:55PM
527 posts

A milk chocolate bar I make with beans from the Ocumare De LaCosta region of Venezuela. (I don't sell this bar).

Mmmmmm.... to die for

Tom
@tom
11/10/12 06:36:26AM
205 posts
Likewise for me, i make a bar lovingly dubbed Daintree Mocha, a dark milk Australian chocolate with just a hint of coffee ground in and packed with crispy mouthwatering nibs......damn going to have to go and eat some now!If commercial, very difficult, Pralus Chuao or Valrhonas El Pedregal....got to go
Vera Hofman
@vera-hofman
11/10/12 05:21:40PM
16 posts

There are some new ones that I like very much, for example Danta's Chuao and Dandelion's Ambanja. But if I can only have one....I take a 2 kilo bag couverture of Felchlin's Cru Sauvage 68% - 60H conch :-) That's enough for 2 weeks on a desert island. Then I wanna go home to taste other chocolate! Chocolove, Vera

ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
11/10/12 06:45:37PM
251 posts

A tie:

• Fresco 212 Dominican Republic 72%. A quintessential example of what I like in a chocolate bar!
  • Rogue Piura 2010 75% (no longer available). A magical bar!

Both rated 9.8 out of 10.

If I had a time machine my all time favorite was Amedei Chuao 2009 vintage (but their current bars have significantly declined in quality so I wouldn't choose that bar today).

See my reviews at ChocoFiles .

dsfg
@lane-wigley
11/10/12 08:11:46PM
31 posts

Good call. Cluizel makes a 5kg Villa Gracinada. That would probably last 3 weeks.

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
11/11/12 02:12:55AM
102 posts

From the ones I have tried in the last year, Michel Cluizel, Los Ancones or that variety pack of El Rey I had after the FCIA conference in June. They ended up being dinner in the hotel room.

Roxanne Browning
@roxanne-browning
11/12/12 04:06:43PM
12 posts

For me it would have to be Amedei's Cru Venezuela. I visited Amedei in Sept, sampled almost all of them, but the Cru is a classic bar, for fun, I also liked their white chocolate with pistachio.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores