long shelf life fillings

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
06/06/10 12:28:55PM
86 posts
Hey there all you chocomaniacs.

I started working for a chocolate manufacturer who would like me to make him some new recipes for his factory. It sounds pretty straight forward until you hear the conditions:
1.No alcohol
2.Fast production
3.prefer Classic style (ie.gianduja and nut based fillings)
4. Long shelf life (more than 3 months) so I can't use cream
5.No preservatives
The factory produces more than 40 types of bonbon already so I really need to be creative here

Any help or feedback is HIGHLY appreciated.

Many thanks friends

O

updated by @omar-forastero: 04/12/15 08:59:19AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/06/10 01:35:17PM
754 posts
Assuming you're looking for a soft center type material, you're only real option is to use oils of some sort instead of cream (milk fat or a liquid at room temperature type oil). The less saturated the oil is, however, the faster it will oxidize. Start by adding 20% or so of the soft fat/oil to your chocolate base to see if that gives you the texture/depositability you're after, and adjust accordingly...
Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
06/08/10 06:08:32PM
86 posts
thank you sebastien.it is a good option
Cherry Bodey
@cherry-bodey
06/08/10 10:23:31PM
5 posts
use butter-based ganaches
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/08/10 10:24:46PM
1,680 posts
Cocoa butter is a saturated fat that oxidizes slowly. Depending on the application, you could use either deodorized or undeodorized cocoa butter. Eastbluff Trading (look up ChocolateLife member Patrick Pineda) sells some very aromatic undeodorized cocoa butter made from Venezuelan beans.Anhydrous ("no water") butter fat is another option.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Cherry Bodey
@cherry-bodey
06/08/10 10:26:04PM
5 posts
btw, is forastero really your name? if so, too cool!
Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
06/09/10 04:40:37PM
86 posts
i tried some samples with cocoa butter..its not bad except i found the bonbon a bit hard.what would be the pecentage of cocoa butter versus chocolate or is there a way to make the filling smoother?cherry i wish my last name was forastero :)
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/09/10 07:04:36PM
754 posts
It will always be hard, and over time it will harden further. If it's a meltaway type center you're after, cocoa butter alone isn't going to do it for you (unless you fractionate, then MAYBE, but you'd only get about a 2% soft fraction that *might* work, so it'd be hugely expensive)
Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
01/23/13 03:27:35AM
6 posts

European-style butter ganaches have longer shelf life . . . worth a try?

Edward J
@edward-j
01/24/13 12:48:42AM
51 posts

Sounds like my type of operation........

You gotta go back and look at stuff 100 years old when there was no refrigeration

Candying

Drying

perserving

nuts

Caramel

Nougat based (including croquant)

Butter ganaches can be quite shelf stable if you remove the 18% or so water in the butter....

Now for instance, honey is a partial inverted sugar

Dried fruits last for years

Pate de fruits are very shelf stable

Nuts and nut pastes/marzipans are good for 6 mths

Am I giving you enough information without "giving away" my farm?

Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
01/24/13 07:59:50AM
78 posts

Nut pastes (gianduja, marzipan) are good but you have to watch out for fat migration which will soften your shells over time.

Butter based ganaches are good, for even less water content you might try using clarified butter (you can buy it off the shelf from many restaurant suppliers).

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
01/24/13 10:00:51AM
158 posts

The gelee/pate de fruit idea is very good. Combine it with a pralin/chocolate/feuilletine layer and you have a 6-month shelf-stable product with a great flavor/crunch combination.

Sharon Strika - Webb
@sharon-strika-webb
02/05/13 06:55:38PM
4 posts

Cream fondent based, citric acid to cut the sweetness.

Sharon Strika - Webb
@sharon-strika-webb
02/05/13 06:57:11PM
4 posts

Pipe into chocolate shells and recover with a funnel and scrape.

Emily Woloszyn
@emily-woloszyn
03/06/13 09:55:48PM
17 posts

What about coconut oil? I make a nice vegan filing with it and fondant and coconut...you can make it as firm or as creamy as you want and the oil is mostly tasteless...just a thought.

steve5
@steve5
03/09/13 02:37:41AM
5 posts

sounds stressfull , I could use some help , on panning , I bought a new machine ,steve

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores