Air Brushing & Table Top Depositor

Karen H.
@karen-h
04/02/09 04:22:47PM
4 posts
Hello EveryoneI'm a little new to the chocolate world!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing it has a hobby for some years and now want to expand. I was looking into purchasing a air brush machine and depositor (table top) and wanted some suggestions. I'm farily a one person show so I need help on moving parts along.Thanks K Chocolate Dzines
updated by @karen-h: 04/12/15 04:00:52PM
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/03/09 08:56:37AM
58 posts
Karen.The company I work for sells a meterable table top depositor for soft centers. Here's the link http://www.tomric.com/ItemDetail.aspx?cmd=local&item=6805 Or contact me at Tomric if you have any questions.brian
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
04/03/09 01:03:09PM
158 posts
Can't help on the depositor part as I still use squeeze bottles for filling centers. I can't wrap my head around paying $8k+ for that thing.For the airbrush, I bought a standard "home" type air compressor and air dryer attachment (under $250 for both), and purchased a bunch of $15 Badger 250 airbrushes (Tower Hobbies). The only additional purchase is the reduction adapter to connect the compressor's quick-release mechanism to the Badger's air hose. Easily found on ebay.I have the compressor set for 25 psi, which is ideal for the Badger, and have had very nice results. As a poor man's paint booth, I rigged a shipping carton with a suction fan and some air filtration material and it works a treat. Beats hand-painting molds!
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/03/09 01:40:33PM
1,680 posts
Brian:What's the approximate price on one of these?:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/03/09 01:41:23PM
1,680 posts
Cheebs:Do you have any pictures of your setup to share?:: Clay

--
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/03/09 02:22:27PM
58 posts
ClayThe last quote I saw was $6995.b
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
04/03/09 02:27:49PM
158 posts
That's better than the $8000 I was quoted at Tomric sometime in December, but it's still tough for a small chocolatier to justify the expense.
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
04/03/09 02:42:33PM
158 posts
Here we go. Please don't fall off your chair laughing.

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/03/09 03:12:02PM
58 posts
Cheebs.The Dollar got stronger!I agree that it is a bunch of money but it's about speed. Once you know the mould designs you are able to set the amount and go (and not think). And if you can write prep lists in such a way that does not require an complete clean between flavors then your depositing can be done VERY quickly! I have one in my test kitchen, sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't but if I was in production every day, I would use it.brian
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/03/09 03:37:34PM
1,680 posts
This is nothing to laugh about. I simply love the ingenuity people display in making stuff. You can spend hundreds of dollars on spray cabinets that you can make with spare parts and duct tape.Where would we do without duct tape?

--
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/03/09 03:53:35PM
58 posts
I'm with Clay on this one . . . . no laughing here. I love the $50 solution to the $1000 problem!b
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
04/03/09 05:36:41PM
78 posts
That is a sweet setup! Your ingenuity is awesome. Just as good as stainless steel any day. We had a similar setup at a restaurant I used to work at for spraying plates with chocolate for decoration.
Karen H.
@karen-h
04/06/09 01:09:29PM
4 posts
Thanks everyone for the feed back .............and yes I will just be purchasing an air brush set. The depositor is a little out of my each right now. Especially since I'm not sure how much it's really going to help.
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/07/09 07:47:10AM
58 posts
Lana.Trying to find something the marketing team did for this request in the past, thanks for your patience.b
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
04/07/09 04:34:47PM
58 posts
Lana.Can I email you a PDF?brian
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/08/09 11:51:38AM
1,680 posts
Brian:Please upload the PDF as a reply to that everyone who is interested can view it.:: Clay

--
Christine Doerr
@christine-doerr
04/10/09 09:07:18PM
24 posts
Love the photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm also checking into getting a airbrusher. I've been advised to used a plastic bag as my background then I could scrape off the excess and remelt it. Seems like a good idea!
Duffy Sheardown
@duffy-sheardown
04/12/09 11:22:44AM
55 posts
What are you spraying and at what temperature? Does the mix set as it hits the cooler moulds or might it run?Thanks,Duffy
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
04/14/09 09:22:44AM
158 posts
I'm spraying tempered colored cocoa butter, at working temp (31-33 dec C). If sprayed correctly it sets almost immediately. If sprayed too heavily, just like car paint, it runs.
updated by @carlos-eichenberger: 01/24/15 06:01:38PM
Karen H.
@karen-h
04/15/09 02:20:55PM
4 posts
Can any advise on a good color coco butter brand to use for airbrushing ? I've been directed too Chocoley always welcome second opinions
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
04/15/09 07:06:04PM
158 posts
I use almost exclusively the stuff from Tomric and Chef Rubber. I suspect they are one and the same.
updated by @carlos-eichenberger: 06/15/15 07:10:22AM
benouse
@benouse
04/18/09 09:10:40PM
8 posts
hello Karen, sorry for my bad englishI can send U to these people who have a representation in United States. http://www.jkvnl.com/Catalog/Machines_2.html#handdepositor the price should be around 5800 USD...in Europe around 4300 euros...Hope it help Usee UBenouse
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
01/08/10 02:19:36PM
158 posts
Hi Lana,I have since moved up in the world LOL! My "booth" is now made of plastic storage containers and has a powerful 115v fan instead of the dinky 12v one. As filtration material I'm using 4 3M scrubbies, stacked and held down with -- what else? -- duct tape.

Tara Starling
@tara-starling
06/26/10 09:46:45PM
2 posts
This definitely doesn't fall under the "Funny" classification, but rather under "Brilliant!" High marks for ingenuity!
Shawn Alter
@shawn-alter
08/31/10 02:13:48AM
4 posts
Hi All,While this Discussion is old; I will talk briefly about a Depositor I use.It is manufactured by Hake Plastic Molds; in Alden NY 14004The cost is US$2300It works with Electricity and Compressed Air; and will meter in a range of 1/4 ounce to 6 ounces.It can be adapted to most machine; like JKV, HIlliards, Chocovision....Feel free to e-mail me; if you would like more information:thechocolatebutterfly@3web.comWarm Regards,Shawn Alter - ChocolatierThe Chocolate ButterflySenior Marketing DirectorHake Plastic MoldsAlden NY 14004
KREA Swiss Food Equipment
@krea-swiss-food-equipment
07/22/14 09:44:00AM
14 posts

I love the innovation of your home made spraying cabinet product- is great. We took the idea and worked it up into a product with the kind help of the Barry Callebaut chocolate academy.

The result- We`ve just launched a easy to assemble sprayBOX - the idea being to capture over spray without a fan, and still give you enough room and light to work in. It saves a lot of cleaning :-)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores