Chocolate Technique: What would you like to learn more about?

Brendan
@brendan
09/27/09 03:35:42PM
21 posts
I'm currently wrapping up a guide to fine chocolate technique. The expected audience is advanced hobbyists and those with professional aspirations. The finished manual will be released as a free e-book. Those of you who are new to chocolate or still actively learning: what would you like to see included in such a book? What have you found to be poorly documented, what has caused you ongoing frustration, what makes you say "wow, how did they do that"? Any feedback (however broad or specific) would be appreciated and will hopefully help others. Here are some of the topics already covered:Characteristics of fine chocolateBlending couverturesPrinciples of tempering chocolateGanache compositionOverview of commonly used ganache ingredientsCommonly used tools and equipmentSlabbing and piping ganacheDipping/enrobing bonbonsMoldingStorage
updated by @brendan: 04/11/15 10:39:09AM
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
09/28/09 10:32:15AM
103 posts
DecorationI am not talking about showpieces. I am talking about different techniques to decorate bonbons (spraying, transfer sheets, etc).
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
09/28/09 10:52:09AM
158 posts
Aside from what you already include, it would be nice to have info on:PralinsNut Pastes & GiandujasCaramels and Fruit Caramels.
Clay Gordon
@clay
09/28/09 03:49:03PM
1,680 posts
Brendan:If you'd like to have a fact-checker/copy editor look at the manuscript before you release it, please consider me. I know that having editors on my book led to a far better product. As the eBook is to be free I will volunteer my services in this capacity. I am not looking to influence the content or direction, just help to make sure it's factually correct with good sentence construction and grammar.:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Brendan
@brendan
09/28/09 04:03:10PM
21 posts
Thanks, Clay. I might take you up on that!And thank you Andre & cheebs. I have a short, non-exhaustive section on decorating bonbons now. Are there any specifics you'd like to see? My focus has been largely on chocolate, but if there's an overwhelming interest in caramels and other confectionery, I might add some material in this area.More feedback, anyone?
Chrissie Bettencourt
@chrissie-bettencourt
09/28/09 04:29:43PM
4 posts
Maybe a little on filled chocolates ....Chrissie
Carolyn Byrnes - C'est Très Chic
@old-molds
09/28/09 04:58:31PM
4 posts
Brendan,You might want to mention the special attention needed to mold in old metal molds.I collect and sell these molds and offer cleaning and maintenance instructions on my web site: www.oldmolds.com under LINKS & DIRECTIONS.If you are interested in listing me as the largest on-line source of antique and old metal molds in your book I would be glad to reciprocate by having a link to your web site for your book or in some way recommending your book.I also have a LinkedIn Group you might to join (Chocolate Mold Collector http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1815647&trk=hb_side_g ).In which case we can feature the book when it comes out.Good luck on your book.PS you will be mentioning Luster dust I hope!
Patrick Sikes
@patrick-sikes
09/28/09 05:02:48PM
9 posts
Specifics on temp and humidity (storage and working), non-guillotine cutting techniques when slabbing, changing chocolate consistency through the intro of cocoa butter.
maazzaa
@maazzaa
09/28/09 05:04:41PM
1 posts
may i ask that all tempuratues are in both fahrenheit and centagrade....and all measurements are in pounds/ounces and kilos/grams as well as cups[/]....i know all your non american friends and collegues will appreciate this....and if you mention specific brands, that may or may not be available all over the world, that perhaps you state the cocao % as well....look forward to seeing your research and topics...best regards
Q Chocolate
@q-chocolate
09/28/09 05:04:55PM
2 posts
Hi,It would be interesting to see some food pairing techniques. What combines with different chocolate and what replaces different ingredients ? Especially taste like.Also interesting is the comparison water / fat / fat content percentages in combination with different ingredients.Textures, different sorts of sugars ...grtzAlain
Paul E
@paul-e
09/28/09 05:05:58PM
5 posts
Paul here. Chef Rubber.Chef Rubber get many requests on 'how to....' The item we find interesting is the lack of understanding of the different types of 'levels' of equipment used for different techniques. as an example, One simple can not use a small compressor to spray large show pieces. additionally, 'HOME DEPOT" compressors are not food grade as the oil travels through the line to lube the construction type tool. Chef Rubber offers medical grade compressors with moisture traps and components to avoid such circumstances. it is also quite interesting the misunderstanding of tempering. one does NOT temper couverture, you temper the cocoa butter contained there in. Also the lecithin in the ingredient of couverture, one tenth of a percent, is a great emulsifier and aids in the tempering process. some couverture manufactures try to imply 'pure premium' because they have taken it out. i hope the book is a success and when published Chef Rubber would like to offer it!kind regards,Paul
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
09/28/09 05:48:42PM
78 posts
Would like to see a section on pre-bottoming technique for slabs as well as technical advice on prolonging shelf life.
Nicole
@nicole
09/28/09 07:12:09PM
1 posts
Hello,I thought I'd take the opportunity to tell you all about my site: chocolateratings.wordpress.comNamaste,Nicole
Christine Doerr
@christine-doerr
09/28/09 08:24:40PM
24 posts
I know you're not writing specially about chocolate production but I'd love to see a graphical interpretation of the chocolate making process.I hope you'll take Clay up on his offer to read over your book before it's published. Nothing more distracting then a typo ;)Looking forward to reading it!
Brendan
@brendan
09/28/09 08:31:47PM
21 posts
Sorry, I don't quite follow. Do you mean a walkthrough of the bean-to-bar process?
Vivian S. Richman
@vivian-s-richman
09/28/09 10:15:02PM
4 posts
I would be interested in seeing in your work, transfer imaging onto chocolate,chocolate with alcohol (ie: Amaretto creams, Grappa creams, Kirsch cherry bon bons, alchol infusions etc.)working with colored cocoa butters, applications of these, the pitfalls of using them, what to avoid etc.
Clay Gordon
@clay
09/28/09 11:32:09PM
1,680 posts
Nicole:What does your reply have to do with the question? There are other ways to promote your site on TheChocolateLife.com. This is the not the right way to do it.:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Susana Garcia
@susana-garcia
09/28/09 11:51:20PM
1 posts
Hi Brendan,So, I guess that if I had to suggest something I struggled with in my first year was how to avoid getting cracks in the bottoms of molded chocolate pieces. Specially when working with soft caramels or ganaches with a high alcohol content.Chocolate is so technical and every step of the tempering/production process is bound by so many rules, as a beginner you often get frustrated because after researching, studying and over thinking every single thing you still don't get things right. There is no book in the world that will give you every answer. It becomes so technical that it sort of cancels your instinct and your senses. I feel that only after you are confident enough do those very basic tools that we all have within ourselves come into play.To me, that is the true technique of a chocolatier, that ability to rely on your instinct. I don't think it's ever emphasized but I feel it is important.Chocolate sometimes becomes too serious, it could be fun to do a playful piece where you brake the rules and encourage the reader's imagination to do the work. Pipe melted chocolate into ice and water and see how the chocolate sets, creating sinewy branches, or perfect chocolate drops. Pipe thin strings of tempered chocolate on a frozen french sheet pan and roll it as if it where plasticine, mix tempered chocolate and alcohol,...We all know that chocolate is supposed to snap but when you mix it with other elements, chocolate morphs, it becomes pliable, flexible, soft.Good luck with your book!Susana
Mann Made Chocolate
@mann-made-chocolate
09/29/09 12:51:04AM
7 posts
Best of luck on your endeavor, Brendan. When it's released, I'll let my vast Facebook fanbase know about it. (By "vast" I mean 16.)For background, I've been studying chocolate for about 8 years, buying every book, studying with some chocolatiers, and though I've made about 20,000 pieces over those 8 years, I still feel quite the tyro with my share of moments that go like this: "I don't get it? I'm doing everything right? Why the heck is THIS piece blooming, but THAT piece isn't????"I mention this because one of the major flaws of most cookbooks (including chocolate books) is that there is very little attention paid to what goes wrong and why it goes wrong. Some will show pictures; such as the look of a broken ganache, and certainly they all describe untempered vs tempered, but they do very little to help the reader figure out what she or he is doing wrong. Granted, some of this is just getting the feel of it, and I suspect some cannot be learned without a "mentor" on one hand, or trial/error on the other. But to the extent you can help the beginner figure out WHAT she/he is doing wrong with tempering, molding, making ganache, dipping (large "feet" for example), etc. - I think you'd be doing a real service.Anyway, just a thought. Again, best of luck. - Bruce
Arun Bhargava
@arun-bhargava
09/29/09 02:44:50AM
3 posts
Thanks for offering 'free' e-book.It would be nice, if you include a 'trouble shooting' section.A common problem is "blooming". If you can tell the reasons of blooming and how to avoid it, that would be helpful.Arun www.ipfco.com
Ilana
@ilana
09/29/09 03:39:31AM
97 posts
Such wonderful ideas!Recipe development is crucial. Taking into account all the ingredients we can include, I don't think there is an excel sheet that accomodates all. Say, a bonbon with cream, glucose, alcohol, nut paste, fruit, etc- say with milk chocolate. Now what is the best balanced recipe in terms of taste and decent shelf life? All the fats and sugars-percentages etc. I know Morato has some info but not at all all- inclusive.I also think a really fun chapter would be the "Home Made Devices" we can use. An example would be gluing a tray onto a dental vibration machine. Or things found in hardware stores that have great use for the chocolatier. Homemade tempering machines and guitars I have read about...Much luck! Sounds quite amazing.
updated by @ilana: 06/21/15 12:31:03AM
Robert Midwinter
@robert-midwinter
09/29/09 05:35:21AM
2 posts
Hi BrendanThat's what I'd be very interested to see in a book on chocolate, a graphical and descriptive walk through of the bean-to-bar process, highlighting where and what changes can be made in order to achieve different products.CheersRob
Jesse Blenn
@jesse-blenn
09/29/09 11:54:41AM
3 posts
Hello,As a small time cacao producer with about 600 trees, I would think that if you have a bean-to-bar process description you might also consider a short (very short, like one or two pages?) seed-to-bean process (planting, growing, harvesting) to which I could contribute some, though dont consider myself an expert. However, I could certainly proofread that part, as I sometimes see glaring mistakes about growing chocolate. I look forward to the book, I have a lot to learn....Jesse Blenn, Costa Rica
Sue Foley
@sue-foley
09/29/09 03:52:45PM
1 posts
The one thing most new business owners (chocolatiers) don't understand is required labeling. What are the laws- where do they go for help.
Rev. R. M. Peluso
@rev-r-m-peluso
09/29/09 04:08:31PM
8 posts
I don"t create chocolate, so my comment is more as one writer to another. My best wishes and prayers for a joyous writing experience and a successful book.Rev. R. M. Peluso
Bette
@bette
09/30/09 12:31:40AM
5 posts
I didn't see a discussion of 'conching' mentioned anywhere. That still is a bit of a mystery to me.Also, how would you handle blending chocolate to dip biscotti in?
Miss DeBar
@miss-debar
10/01/09 11:56:27AM
3 posts
I've been looking for a hands on workshop about how to roast and prepare the bean
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
10/05/09 04:11:48PM
98 posts
Small business idea's to start your chocolate making adventures.How to make a Mold.Why do you use some ingredients, ie, corn syrup, butter over none. what are the advantage or disadvantages?What not to do....LOLLet me know when this comes out, I'd love to see it being a newbie to making chocolate, all I am doing at this point is reading and drooling about making them.
Debby
@debby
10/05/09 06:59:03PM
10 posts
Molding, definitely molding chocolate. I can make hand rolled truffles by the tray full, I can make slabs of centers, cut them and dip them in chocolate, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do molded chocolate. Everything I try, the chocolate goes out of temper.
Maja Zorga Dulmin
@maja-zorga-dulmin
01/06/12 04:33:20AM
4 posts

Is this e-book now available? :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores