Best Female Chocolatier?

Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
10/17/09 08:15:13PM
8 posts
Who do you think is the best female chocolatier you've met. Most seem to be men and I am curious who you would count amoung the top ten females out there!As I understand it, a chocolatier is someone who makes confectionery from chocolate. Chocolatiers are distinct from chocolate makers, who create chocolate from cacao beans and other ingredients.Rick
updated by @richard-spangenberg: 04/11/15 11:01:22AM
Gwen Borders2
@gwen-borders2
10/20/09 05:37:00AM
5 posts
Fran Bigelow has done well for herself and her patrons :)
Frank Schmidt
@frank-schmidt
10/20/09 09:36:02AM
28 posts
April Heaton !!Branson Missouri, beautiful new shop, excellent chocolates. Pure artistry. http://www.handcraftedchocolat.com/chocolatier.html
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/21/09 04:15:07PM
101 posts
Keys Chocolates in NYC.
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
10/21/09 05:41:06PM
103 posts
Mark,Do you mean Kee from Kee's Chocolates?Kee's amazing.
Scott
@scott
10/21/09 08:08:52PM
44 posts
Elizabeth Montes of Sahagun Handmade Chocolates (Portland, OR).
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
10/22/09 02:14:14PM
8 posts
Good to see that a few of you recognize brilliance when you taste and see it. I for one will be happy to check out the individuals you've mentioned.rk
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
10/22/09 02:22:29PM
8 posts
I could be missing it here, but isn't Oriel Bal aguer a guy? Trying to restrict the conversation to the best FEMALES. But, then good chocolate is good chocolate. :)
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/22/09 06:22:28PM
101 posts
Andre, Yes, Kee from Kee's chocolates.
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
10/23/09 08:58:05AM
8 posts
Found her: She is the long-time owner of Frans Chocolates Ltd., located in Seattle and Bellevue, Washington, which also operates a large mail-order business at www.franschocolates.com From what I've read, Fran is considered one of the finest chocolatiers in the country and makes makes European-style chocolates.
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
10/23/09 09:07:40AM
8 posts
Well the last time I was over in Spain, I couldn't get in because the place was packed. I hear it is always packed in season. Had to make my own Sangria. So, unfortuanately, I am not an El Bulli alum.
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
10/26/09 02:18:17PM
58 posts
Gayle's in DetroitPenny Chocolates in DC 'burbs.To name a couple!b
Linda Grishman
@linda-grishman
11/03/09 06:29:33PM
26 posts
Linda Grishman of Sweet on Vermont Artisan Confections. Has been making hand made chocolates since 1984.
Linda Grishman
@linda-grishman
11/03/09 06:30:38PM
26 posts
the reason why there are so few is because it's still a man's world. Guys help one another. Women either give up or let their husbands take over...... and they don't take women seriously either.
Jeff
@jeff
11/04/09 08:52:10AM
94 posts
I take you seriously linda...even if you are a chick... ; )
SU
@su
11/09/09 12:16:13PM
18 posts
Or said a slightly less depressing way: its a male dominated industry that has been run in a particular way -- pathways via established training schools, I would guess for pastries because a lot of famous chocolatiers seem to have pastry background, and corporations and old boy networks -- for a long time, but is now being opened up to amateurs of both genders thus removing some of the gender, socio-economic, and regional barriers to entry. No doubt due to greater ease of acquiring materials & training (thank you internets). The new and growing number of known female chocolatiers indicates there may be a shift coming in the gender balance as well as the big-box to artisan focus. The more women in the industry, the more there will be. Plant a flag at the mountaintop and more will come!
Linda Grishman
@linda-grishman
11/09/09 04:01:32PM
26 posts
Try mine.
Annick Vliegen
@annick-vliegen
11/19/09 04:02:23AM
1 posts
It did not meet her personally but I tasted her chocolate more than once. I thing that Cecilia Tessieri from Amedei Tuscany Chocolate is a great chocolate maker and a great chocolatiers!
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
11/20/09 03:11:49PM
10 posts
Melt ( http://www.meltchocolates.com/v2/Video.aspx ) makes the most delicious rasbury truffles.rococo http://rococochocolates.com/ makes best 'Long Ting' tea truffle.
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
11/20/09 04:15:29PM
8 posts
YUM YUM YUM YUMLove the video too!
John M Rossini2
@john-m-rossini2
11/22/09 04:01:40PM
12 posts
Rich,Hands down the winner is Maria Valente, Chocolations LLC, Mamaroneck NY.Check out www.chocolations.com ThanksJohn.Rossini@travelchocolate.com
updated by @john-m-rossini2: 09/10/15 12:55:23AM
Richard Spangenberg
@richard-spangenberg
11/22/09 09:29:58PM
8 posts
Hey, someone close by where Ilive!
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
01/05/10 10:31:33AM
10 posts
Hi,I have a question for my American friends here: what do you think Mariebelle Sweets?A link can be found in here http://www.mariebelle.com . Do you think she could be one of topten female chocolatiers?. My European friend said: by looking at this website the chocolates look very synthetical but I understand Mariebelle's shop is one of NY attractions? What do you think?Xinhong
Scott
@scott
01/06/10 12:41:09PM
44 posts
Robert,I'm sure your comments aren't intended as condescendingly sexist stereotypes, but they could possibly be construed that way.It might open your eyes to place an order with Chocolate Life forum participant Sarah Hart's Alma Chocolate, specially requesting her habanero caramel (one of the best caramels I've had in the US and a "must buy" whenever I'm in Portland), salted lavender caramel, lapsang souchong caramel, and rosewater caramel. Try some of her other pieces as well, to see if they fit your hypothesis. (Did your grandma make Thai peanut butter cups or cardamom/burnt sugar/sesame bonbons?)Or try Katherine Clapner's Dude, Sweet Chocolates (Dallas, Texas). Clapner, a former pastry chef for Stephan Pyles, is hardly "comforting," with her roasted beet/olive oil ganache, fermented Louisiana tobacco, olive oil/butter/hemp seed, lemon/yerba mate, et al.Look at the work of Cindy Duby of DC Duby (Vancouver, Canada).Look at Autumn Martin, head chocolatier for Theo Chocolate (Seattle, Washington), with the brilliant fig/fennel ganache.Or look on almost any gourmet market shelf these days to see Vosges, the brainchild of Katrina Markoff, whose decidedly ungrandmotherly products get more press and have more name recognition in America (deserved or not) than those of any male chocolatier.Though you may not be intentionally dismissive of the creativity of female chocolatiers, I think your broad brush strokes both overlook the truly ambitious work undertaken by female chocolatiers all over the country and elide the fact that most chocolatiers--male or female--do safe, predictable, familiar work, because they find it sells better than occasionally gag reflex-inducing creativity.
chocoasis
@chocoasis
01/11/10 01:04:55AM
5 posts
Vanessa Barg of Gnosis chocolates makes really good raw chocolates.
Vanessa Barg
@vanessa-barg
01/11/10 02:55:31AM
2 posts
:) thank you so much *blushes* :) but i am a chocolate maker too! we make chocolate from the raw mass - does that still count as nomination? it's a yes in my book! :)
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
01/11/10 04:43:08AM
10 posts
Hi,Is there a dedicate website for your good raw chocolates? Sorry I'm from UK I have not heard anyone who makes raw chocolates.Regards,Xinhong
Vanessa Barg
@vanessa-barg
01/11/10 09:25:25AM
2 posts
yes! thanks so much for your interest! it's http://www.gnosischocolate.com :) we dont have any stores in the uk quite yet, but we do ship direct. let me know if you have any questions whatsoever! vanessa@gnosischocolate.com
xinhong liu
@xinhong-liu
01/11/10 10:27:15AM
10 posts
Thanks for your reply Vanessa!I don't have a shop in UK yet. I'm creating a website right now and it might be the starting point to sell my chocolates initially and I hope I can have a little shop soon.A fantastic website! I must say. Having read your story and I have a question here for you.As the 'raw' is unregulated in US how you educate people to take on your idea that eating 'raw chocolates' is healthy or 'raw chocolates' has health benefit rather than just a treat.ThanksXinhong
Molly Drexelius
@molly-drexelius
01/12/10 12:19:26PM
16 posts
I will add NY female chocolatier Justine Pringle of Nunu Chocolates to the list, which you can order online at Drexelius Chocolates .A great SoCal female chocolatier is Kristy Choo of Jin Patisserie , which is in Venice.
Nancy Nadel
@nancy-nadel
01/22/10 08:41:42PM
13 posts
I'm a comparative newcomer and have been working so much, haven't communicated much with other chocolate makers until recently. I make chocolate from Jamaican beans exclusively and started the business to feature Jamaican chocolate to get Jamaican farmers a better price for their beans. Some of my flavors are comfortable and some are very unusual. Some showcase other Jamaican products like an oval leaf chocolate bonbon filled with Busha Browne's lime pepper jelly. I have a little chocolate barrel filled with a rum raisin in curried sweet milk. I just tried one with sorrel chutney which is a very complicated pocket of flavors. Most of my chocolate bonbons are 70% cacao. Website is www.theoaklandchocolateco.com .
Nancy Nadel
@nancy-nadel
01/22/10 08:43:46PM
13 posts
Forgot to point out the truffles in my picture are pierced with Jamaican almonds which are a little different from what we are used to in the states. I think they are also called Indian almonds.
Sonya
@sonya
02/02/10 10:08:07PM
4 posts
For me, one of my favorites, and she has quite an inspirational story, is Katrina Markoff, founder of Vosges. She was featured on girl crush. http://girlcrushoftheday.blogspot.com/2010/02/katrina-markoff.html

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores