10/29/08 11:56:59AM
4 posts
Does anyone own a tempering machine and if so which one?chefveggi
updated by @debra-kleiman-walter: 11/21/15 07:09:56PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
10/29/08 12:50:13PM
1,680 posts
Debra:To help set the stage for this discussion can you let everyone know something about what your requirements are?Are you a hobbyist so that you only need to work with a few pounds at a time, or are you producing hundreds of pounds of chocolate a day in a mix of dark, milk, and white and need something that can handle those demands? Or are you somewhere in between?This will help us know what kinds of machines to talk about.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
debra kleiman walter
@debra-kleiman-walter
10/29/08 10:42:01PM
4 posts
Hi Clay,I am just a hobbyist. I temper only around 2# at a time.Debra
Kelli
@kelli
11/07/08 08:27:09AM
1 posts
I own the Rev 2. I really do like it, except during the holidays. I find for large production or large molds, it's just not quite enough tempered chocolate.
debra kleiman walter
@debra-kleiman-walter
11/07/08 09:26:09AM
4 posts
Hi Kelli,Thanks, I have the sinsation and it has a small capacity also. I am wondering do you blend your own chocolates together to arrive at a taste that you like? Where is a good place to buy bulk chocolate? I really like Lake Champlain chocolate have you ever tried or used it. I don't know if they sell in bulk.Debra
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
11/07/08 01:31:52PM
158 posts
I use both a Chocovision Rev1 and an ACMC Table Top Temperer. Love 'em both, but the Rev1 is NOISY!
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/07/08 03:01:41PM
1,680 posts
Debra:There is nothing special about the chocolate that Lake Champlain uses. It's standard stuff from Barry Callebaut, and made in the St Albans, VT factory. You can get many Callebaut chocolates in bulk from Chocosphere.com and ChocolateSource.comThe Sinsation is the same thing as a Chocovision Rev1 or 2 - it's just an old name.:: Clay

--
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/07/08 03:05:02PM
1,680 posts
Both of the small Chocovision machines (Rev1 and 2) are noisy. The ACMC machine is quieter because it doesn't have a fan. However, I don't see how they can charge so much for something that uses the same technological approach as an Easy-Bake oven.Unfortunately, there really isn't anything else in the under 10-pound range or for under $1500.

--
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
11/07/08 03:40:35PM
158 posts
LOL you're SO right Clay, on both counts.
Rajarajeshwari Kainthaje
@rajarajeshwari-kainthaje
11/12/08 11:21:39AM
9 posts
I wonder whether I can add my experience with Mol d`Art melter. I simply love its work.6 Kg capacity. I put the chocolate in the melter setting temp at 43degrees the previous night. Start my work in the morning after setting temp at 31 degrees and seeding it . Takes a little time. Looks like a simple box, quiet. liked it so much that thinking to buy one more for melting milk chocolate.I wonder whether melters are considered as tempering machines!!
Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
12/15/09 11:38:30AM
157 posts
Has this landscape changed any in the last year? Any new reviews or ideas? I was watching our process last night and we're losing a bit too much time getting chocolates setup for dipping etc.
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
12/15/09 08:34:13PM
101 posts
I use the ACMC for personal use, holds a nice charge of chocolate. Oh, it does have a fan for the cooling stage. And 2 100w bulbs for heat. Simple, and stands up to a good bit of abuse.
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
12/17/09 10:54:32AM
78 posts
I have a HIlliard's Little Dipper as well as two Mol'D'Art melters and I like all of them. The Hilliards is a little noisy with the fan and the motor, but built like a tank. It will run you about $1200 new last I checked. Great for a small operation. We also use a Prefamac with enrober (30Kg model)-great machine too for larger but still small-scale production. Can easily do 25-50 pounds daily or more on it depending on staffing and prep.
Valerie
@valerie
12/20/09 08:53:55PM
29 posts
I just bought the Rev 2 (my last machine was the sinsation) and I love it. It's good for small batches, with a 1.5 half pound capacity. Like others have said it's really loud, but it's the right capacity for me so I make due with the noise. I've also used one of the more professional grade chocovision machines which is also great, much quieter, but it's a minimum capacity of 3 pounds which is usually way more than I'm working with in the small batches I produce.
Andy Moorhouse
@andy-moorhouse
12/21/09 10:21:46AM
2 posts
My wife has the ChocoVision Revolation 2.The fan broke again last night, leaving her with a large number of Christmas chocolate orders to be tempered using a porringer with boiling water. Not an enjoyable evening.The fan has now broken twice in 14 months. We are buying a different brand.@Kelli - what brand do you use for larger orders?
Ian
@ian
12/21/09 02:37:24PM
4 posts
Hello fellow Chocolate Lifers.I work for ChocoVision and would like to address some of your collective concerns.The noise level of our tabletop Revolation 1 and 2 machines have always been a source of concern for many of our customers. The reverberation of the motor and fan off of the plastic casing seemed to be a consequence of a smaller, relatively inexpensive (plastic) unit. That said, our engineering team has been hard at work for the past few months modifying specifications of the tabletop machines in order to muffle the noise. This will be an uphill climb that may prove fruitless, but stay tuned.As for the capacitywe have recently introduced what we are calling the Holey Baffle which vastly increases the maximum capacity of our larger (Revolation X 3210 and Delta) machines from 10 Lbs. to roughly 18.5 Lbs. A smaller version of this Holey Baffle is being manufactured for evaluation in limited quantity for our tabletop units, and will increase the tabletop units from a 1.5 Lb. capacity to between 2 and 2.2 Lbs.If you would like to give a Holey Baffle a whirl, please contact me and I will send one to help you get more out of your unit.There are other techniques to be employed for more efficiency from our units. Feel free to contact me regarding that as well.As for Andys wifes machinefan problems are not the norm for Rev2s, let alone having two failures in just over a year. Please contact me and/or ChocoVisions technical team at (845) 473-4970 for further instruction or service.Thank you!Ian
Valerie
@valerie
12/21/09 02:49:58PM
29 posts
Ian, I would love to try the holey baffle. Do you have one available for the Rev 2 that you could send me? Also, one more product suggestion while we're on the subject. I've started using the valrhona and cacao noel disks and they tend to jump out of the tempering machine while they're behind the baffle waiting to be melted. Perhaps making the piece of plastic that attaches to the top of the baffle (not sure what the official name of this piece is) would solve the jumping disk problem?
Ian
@ian
12/21/09 03:13:03PM
4 posts
Funny you say that....the engineers are also working on enlarging the baffle clip size, but so far only for the larger units. Until we possibly redesign the smaller units' baffle clip, your best bet may be to premelt in order to to avoid escapage, or melt a bit at a time rather than the full batch at once. The coins/discs are tougher to ocontain than block or chunk chocolate.I can definitelty send you a small Holey Baffle, just email your address to: ian@chocovision.com. You can be one of our first guinea pigs.
Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
12/27/09 06:50:26PM
29 posts
Hi Ian,I would love to try the holey baffle. I have the Delta, and it's been a great machine. I was surprised after hearing the complaints about noise on the smaller models, this one is extremely quiet.Thanks so much.Robyn
Bud Stockwell
@bud-stockwell
12/27/09 09:25:45PM
18 posts
I have a Hillard's little dipper, the Hillard's 240lb temperer and the Delta. You can't beat the Hillard 240 for when you need to really kick out the chocolate but you need to be comfortable with tempering. The delta usually produces a well tempered chocolate and my helper prefers using as it's more automated. I find that it's capacity is small and sometimes it tells you you are in temper and it's not. My baffle broke a couple of weeks ago but they replaced it for free (it was within warantee)I like the idea of the baffle and would love to try it sometime.I would love to hear if someone has a temperer that will be about the size of my big hillard yet has an auto-temperer and is not crazy expensive.
Laurie Bergren
@laurie-bergren
01/25/10 02:26:45PM
1 posts
Hi, Ian.First, to address Clay's questions... I am a hobbyist, and bought a Rev 2 about 18 months ago. During the holidays, I make loads of caramels, nougats and chocolates to give away - this Christmas it was over 35 pounds (somehow my list of recipients just keeps growing...). While I've always been fascinated by candy making and confectionery science, the Rev 2 improved my efficiency so much that I got serious about learning and doing more. Now I seem to be making chocolates, thinking about making chocolates, or taking pictures of chocolates... ALL THE TIME. It's been a great machine for me.Or, at least, it WAS... until this morning. I put the baffle in, added the chocolate, turned on the machine, and everything seemed to be operating normally, except there is no heat coming from the element. Very strange, since the machine was working perfectly when I used it two days ago. I will call the technical service number you mentioned to Andy above - thanks for being so available to us.I really do love the machine. My only real quibble with it to this point has been the noise, and I am delighted to hear about ChocoVision's efforts to address that. As for the baffle clip issue (with chocolate wafers climbing up out of the bowl), I've found that the spatula that came with my Cuisinart solved the problem for me - I just lay it across the top of the machine with the blade of the spatula resting right under the clip, curved side against the bowl. It fits the contours of the bowl very nicely, and the "climbing" chocolate wafers hold it in place until they're melted enough to stop trying to escape.Finally, I would very much LOVE to test one of the Holey Baffles for you, if they are still available.
updated by @laurie-bergren: 09/09/15 02:02:28PM
Amber B.
@amber-b
01/26/10 07:17:55PM
10 posts
Ian,I have a Rev 2 and would love to give the holey baffle a try. I am at the point of needing a larger tempering machine as well, and wanting to check out AMCM, etc...because the jump in price is quite a jump...but 1.5lbs at a time is just not enough for me...definitely interested in the holey baffle though.
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
01/26/10 09:48:58PM
194 posts
Bud, I have a Hilliard 80#, and 3 Savage 50# semi-automatic tempering machines. I love all of them. I like the Hilliard for simplicity and for dipping. The Savage are great because I have dark, milk and white chocolate melted at all times and within 20 minutes, I have tempered chocolate. It will also hold temper (if I hit the right temp) for several days. With the Savage, I can open the gate and fill molds directly from the unit. Very simple. With that said, I don't trust anyone to temper but me:-) I bought them used, but they have been trouble free.
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
01/26/10 09:51:14PM
194 posts
I forgot--I also have an ACMC but never use it. It works fine, but is just too small.
Andy Moorhouse
@andy-moorhouse
01/27/10 10:41:51AM
2 posts
I thought I'd update my post. Ian from Chocovision has been fantastic. He posted a new baffle free of charge and it looks like the problem has been fixed.Here's an email from my wife:Hi Ian,I just want to say a big thank you for all your help. I received the baffle today and tested the machine. I must admit it smelled of smoke at first, but I thought it might have been down to the new fan. The smell went away after 2 min and I kept it running for an additional 2 min to make sure it wasn't a problem. Fingers crossed it won't give me a hard time anymore.Thanks again, I really appreciate it!Kindest regardsMaria MoorhouseCreative PartnerYummy Favours
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
02/19/10 02:33:17AM
13 posts
dear ONES ~aloha! so is there a performance preference between the Hilliard's "Little Dipper" and the chocovision revolationX3210 chocolate tempering machine?after reading this discussion, it seems that these are the two "mid sized capacity" tempering machines for home hobby fun (more than 2 lb / up to 10 lb) ...also, i posted on another post a question regarding turning nibs or beans into liquid for the melanger to refine before tempering ... anyONE have any experience with this as I AM excited to use my own cacao beans freshly harvested and fermented to make into RAW chocolate. LOVE ~ mahalo ~ LOVE
Julie Andreacola
@julie-andreacola
02/22/10 09:17:29PM
2 posts
I love my Revolution 1 tempering machine. I use it regularly in my Dove Chocolate Discoveries business to teach about tempering a high quality chocolate and just how much fun playing in chocolate is!Unfortunatly, I haven't had time to do large quantities of chocolate "production" except maybe the time I make lots of chocolate bark with a Brownie Troop! There was chocolate every where. I will say the Revolution 1 is super easy to clean up and has been very durable as I haul it around from place to place on a frequent basis.I would use it at parties a lot more if it was quieter so I'm hopeful your engineers find a solution to the noise issue.
Julie Bolejack
@julie-bolejack
02/26/10 08:43:15PM
8 posts
Include me on trying the Holey Baffle - I have a Delta - also a couple Rev 2sJulie bolejackartisan@chocolateforthespirit.com
Sweet Morsels Toffee & Chocolate
@sweet-morsels-toffee-chocolate
03/04/10 08:58:23AM
6 posts
We use two ACMC machines. We usally have them running at the same time, one with milk chocolate and the other with dark chocolate. They work great, we have not had any problems with them.
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
03/04/10 02:00:50PM
13 posts
aloha! can anyONE verify if the ACMC takes about 30-40 minutes to temper the chocolate (say at full 6lb capacity)? and can anyONE using the rev 1 say how long it takes to temper the full 10lb capacity (i thought i heard it was 60 minutes)???mahalo!
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
03/04/10 02:02:32PM
13 posts
greetings ~ is your ACMC machine relatively quiet while in use? mahalo!
03/04/10 02:12:36PM
6 posts
Yes. They are fairly quiet. Although one of our machines is louder than the other. The louder one we bought used, not sure how old it is. The quiter one we bought new and is only a year old.
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
03/04/10 02:36:14PM
13 posts
would you say that it IS relatively easy to clean? ")
03/05/10 09:29:03AM
6 posts
They are not hard to clean.
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
04/12/10 08:23:16PM
13 posts
aloha ~ for those novice/experts tempering chocolate WITHOUT SEED chocolate, what IS the best machine (or only machine?) that tempers the cacao liquid right out of the santha melanger? i do not use commercial cacao paste/solid liquid so i have no seeded chocolate to add to the machines which require seed and I AM interested in the machine that does all the tempering so i do not have to :D~ mahalo
holycacao
@holycacao
04/13/10 06:57:11AM
38 posts
Depends on your quantity and your budget. Also depends on if you know how to temper, what it looks like, feels like etc. If you need the entire process to be automatic, you will still most probably need to adjust for your chocolates recipe. A melting kettle can be used as a temperer, but it is very slow if you can't change temperatures quickly. Seed can be made by hand tempering or even aging for a long enough time. Automatic temperers are pretty expensive new (prefamac, selmi, gami, etc)
George Robertson
@george-robertson
04/15/10 11:34:53PM
2 posts
Thanks for your input! I jusst recently obtained a Revolation 3210 and I love it! Wow, it is great. I am not sure what the noise is for a new baffle and not sure what the cost would be, but I am very interested in the increasing of capacity. I make about 200 to 300 pounds of hand dipped chocolates from November to Easter, but much less during the rest of the year. The revolation beats anything I have ever tried in 30 years of making chocolates!George: Grobert740@aol.com
Jim Henson
@jim-henson
04/16/10 12:41:10PM
4 posts
Check out the Chocolate Dude machine at www.chocolatedude.net . 1 to 8 lb capacity and the price is good $525.00 plus shipping. It might meet your needs.
deedee devi
@deedee-devi
04/16/10 09:10:41PM
13 posts
~ mahalo ~
Pixie
@pixie
10/20/11 09:35:05PM
6 posts

Kia ora Debra,

We are in Aotearoa (New Zealand)making Raw Chocolate and we also do not buy seed chocolate. I am interested to find how you got on with your search for a tempering machine. They are expensive to import over here and want to make sure we are getting the best machine for the job, would appriate your findings if you had any.....

Nga mihi

Pixie

corinne mendelson
@corinne-mendelson
10/29/12 03:45:27AM
20 posts

hi every bodym

has anyone heard or used a pavoni mini temper? i don't live in the State and it is not eassy for me to buy a chocovision or a hilliard but we have here a sale representant of Pavoni so i am asking is it any good? I have a tiny chocolate shop and i do everything by hand, it's becoming a little difficult i would appreciate your input.

Thank you

updated by @corinne-mendelson: 09/07/15 11:36:18PM
Krista2
@krista2
11/09/12 12:55:14AM
32 posts

I have tried 3, yes 3 of the chocovision rev1 machines and so far they have caused me more headache then I care to relive. I contacted chocovision and after troubleshooting they sent me new baffles which seemed to work mediocrely for about 3-4 batches each. Contacted chocovision again, they sent out more baffles but if I want the machines looked overand serviced I have to pay to send the junk back and pay to have them fixed! They were possibly the worst kitchen appliance investment I've ever made!
Needless to say I am not interested in any chocovision models but would love advice on an inexpensive (1500 or less) tempering unit. Doesn't need to be fancy just get the job done. Thanks

/ 2  

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores